Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aerial

I really don't like Aerial, but I won't say anything about that in here, just in case =).

I have a friend, he's a physicist. He doesn't like music. He really doesn't give a damn about music; his favorite song is the Doctor Who Theme. He doesn't know who is Christina Aguilera, and he's 30.
    He loved The X-Files, so I showed him "Mulder And Scully" by Catatonia, and he liked that one. What a surprise for me (and for him too) that he liked a song! So I started to show him some music. Sometimes I was lucky (Tom Waits, The Divine Comedy, Ok Go), sometimes not (Florence + The Machine).
    And one day I sent him "Pi" (don't know how to write the symbol...). He got OBSESSED with that song. He loved it so much that he played it on his radio program (he has a program in his university). He even discovered the missing numbers in the sequence, and spend a couple days trying to figure out why Kate skipped those. Then he started listening to Kate's singles ("Wuthering Heights", "Babooshka", etc) and he liked it. But it was funny that my friend got so obssesed with something that was not a wave or a book by Asimov.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

^That's cool that your friend clicked with Kate Bush. She's actually a very difficult artist to get into, especially someone who isn't very musically inclined but she can click with people in a strange way. Take my mom, for instance. She's not a music listener by any means, but when I put on Kate Bush, she likes it. Not a big fan, but she does say how she likes how Kate sings. That's a start, I suppose!
    Last edited by Mori; 10-12-2010 at 07:32 PM.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    my mom actually got me into kate. i had read all the articles in the 90s comparing tori to kate and asked my mom if she knew who kate was. she was quite excited and pulled out the HoL vinyl. we had a listen and talked about how pretty her voice is. my mom's knowledge of kate doesn't go much further than HoL, but she loves that album. (for the record, mom loathes tori.)
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Today is a perfect day to listen to Aerial. It's a warm, bright fall day in Chicago. I haven't listen to the album since I got it, so it'll be exciting to hear it again.

Yes, it's definitely a Japanese Autumn album for me. We get some really beautiful sunsets on the east coast this time of year. But in Australia, the end of Spring seems to bring out the more interesting bird cries, so a Sky of Honey fits right in!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Happy fifth birthday Aerial!

Wow, I can't believe it's been five years since Aerial was released! I remember the excitement on @ while waiting up to listen to King of the Mountain being played for the first time and the pre-and post-release frenzy around the album. Hopefully it won't be another 7 years until the next release!

Quote Originally Posted by red_talula View Post
    Wow, I can't believe it's been five years since Aerial was released! I remember the excitement on @ while waiting up to listen to King of the Mountain being played for the first time and the pre-and post-release frenzy around the album. Hopefully it won't be another 7 years until the next release!
    Just what I was thinking!

Wasn't there an interview with Kate from when Aerial came out where someone asked her if the next record would take 12 years as well and she said she hoped not? I don't know if I'm just imagining this.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I've already given up on getting another new album from Kate. Re-released albums with new old songs (like all the demos that have been turning up) would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM View Post
    I've already given up on getting another new album from Kate. Re-released albums with new old songs (like all the demos that have been turning up) would be great.
    I think we'll get at least one more album from her. Since Aerial, she's done Lyra and that other random song w/ Rolf Harris so we know she's working on things. That said, I would be eager for remastered editions of the old albums with bonus tracks, especially for The Dreaming and Never For Ever, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM View Post
    What, you're gonna give up after waiting just mere 5 years? Hey, it might seem like to a long time if you're talking about other artists, but it's just a short moment of time, when we're talking about Kate Bush. Personally I think she's going to continue writing as long as she lives, whether they're going to be released is another matter.

I believe morethan ever that there will be a new album at some point... hopefully it'll be released in the next three years!

what I see her doing in the long run is giving us one more record and from then on she's just gonna do one or two tracks every so often for soundtracks or collaboration purposes and nothing more just to keep her studio sort of used on some basis.

I wouldn't mind it if she only released one/a few tracks every so often as long as we still get new music from her in some way. I think that since Aerial was such a success as well another album at some point in the future isn't at all unlikely. The question is really just how long it will take for Kate to finish it.