Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cranberries

Did Roses leak or is it just out for reviewers? Are the singles representative of the album?

yeah theyre all watermarked, I work with her team so I got a first listen. the songs that are already out there are pretty representative - it's hard for me to compare it to much as I never really listened to them post to the faithful departed. but despite only listening to it a handful of times (and mostly as background music at work TBH) I can confidently say its a great album. bummed theyre playing terminal 5 in ny, wish theyd do a few dates at someplace like irving plaza or webster hall...

they did a tiny desk session at npr today - cant wait to see that!

Nice! I'm still hoping there's a few tracks that stick with me. The singles don't work for me, but there have to be a few real winners! Even her solo albums had a few solid songs.

Not sure how I feel about this album. I get what they were going for but... there's nothing interesting, original or exciting here. It's all very safe and bland. And even though Dolores sounds as good as she ever has, the bad lyrics stand out more (though to be fair, they're not terribly offensive). The album has a sort of lazy Sunday vibe. It keeps making me think of rain and the countryside. Most songs are mid-tempo or slow. It's pretty and pleasant enough, but not much stands out. The album definitely works better as a whole. It really makes me crave songs like Promises, This Is the Day, etc. Schizophrenic Playboys has a bit of a spark so it's perfect right in the middle of the album. Another plus is that this doesn't have the annoying sounds that Dolores' solo albums often did. It's just as generic (quite possibly even more so), but it sounds like a proper Cranberries album to me. Oh well... it could have been worse.

In late April, the Cranberries will release a new unplugged album titled Something Else, featuring stripped-down and orchestral renditions of classic singles as well as three new tracks. Below, listen to an acoustic version of the band's massive 1993 single "Linger."
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...linger-w471407

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Signed CD is only $12.99 on their store. Europe is getting an acoustic/strings tour; really hope that makes its way to the US later in the year.

I thought they would never release anything again together.
    So this new project is good news. But I still hope that a brand new album will see the light of day at some point.
    'Wake up' and 'Roses' were big disappointments but their 4 first albums are still absolutely amazing 20 years later.

I love the new version of Linger, and the new track Why fits in perfectly. Can't wait for the rest of this album. I hope they tour the US.

The tracklist is quite a disappointment. They could have included something more interesting, like daffodil lament, waltzing back, shattered, how...

1. Linger
    2. The Glory
    3. Dreams
    4. When You're Gone
    5. Zombie
    6. Ridiculous Thoughts
    7. Rupture
    8. Ode to My Family
    9. Free to Decide
    10. Just My Imagination
    11. Animal Instinct
    12. You & Me
    13. Why
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

I dig Why; some rarer songs would have been cool, but I don't mind the track list, and Ridiculous Thoughts is a nice pick.

On a more random Cranberries note, So Cold In Ireland is so fucking good.

Except for Ridiculous Thoughts, the track list looks very safe. Though I think they totally lost their spark in Wake Up (and Roses is hideous).
    And I have to say it, I hate Free To Decide.

Roses is just soooooo boring I couldn't tell you what one song on there sounds like and I tried SEVERAL times, including all of the many bonus tracks.

Wake Up is sort of pleasant, well constructed but also forgettable (in a more forgivable way than Roses, though, if that makes sense). The best tracks (Many Days and Such A Waste) didn't make the album for some reason.

I'd love to see people's Cranberries Top 10! Mine's actually pretty tough; they have a really strong b-sides catalogue. And I like Bury The Hatchet a lot, even though nothing makes the Top 10 cut.

So Cold In Ireland
    Zombie
    How
    Daffodil Lament
    Yeats' Grave
    The Icicle Melts
    Hollywood
    Electric Blue
    The Picture I View
    Cordell

My top 10, without any b-sides, chronologically:

Linger
    I can't be with you
    The icicle melts
    Ridiculous thoughts
    War child
    The rebels
    Promises
    Shattered
    Sorry son
    This is the day

Honorable mention: Do you know. I tend to forget I like this song because it's in the middle of a fog of mediocrity.

Mine is:

1) Daffodil Lament
    2) Electric Blue
    3) Empty
    4) Dreams
    5) Twenty One
    6) Hollywood
    7) Shattered
    8) Animal instinct
    9) Conduct
    10) Promises

Honorable mention: dying in the sun, so cold in Ireland, everything I said, Yeat's grave.

I must say I grew up with them and everytime I listen to them, it's like I'm fifteen again. Regarding they're new record, I think it'll be their Gold Dust. So sad that they made such beautiful acoustic sets back in their early days.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Here are my 10. This thread makes me want to listen to the first couple of albums again!

Dreams
    Linger
    Ode To My Family
    Daffiodil Lament
    When You're Gone
    I Will Always
    Everything I Said
    Ridiculous Thoughts
    Conduct
    Fire & Soul