Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-inclusive Regina Spektor thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Worse then

Or

?

Coming from anyone else, all of this would grate. But she somehow makes it work-- probably on account of her odd sense of whimsy which (to me) never seems forced. This is all IMO, of course.
    This is typical to anti-folk, which mocks the pretension and seriousness of mainstream music by being over-the-top tongue-in-cheeck. So, in this light, these clumsy lyrics don't really bother me that much.

She was looking out the window Snow White's Avatar
    ^ I don't know anything about anti-folk, really, but that seems like an apt description of Regina's music. There's definitely a tongue-in-cheek element.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    i never got into Far but i absolutely adore her other material, especially Begin to Hope and Soviet Kitsch. i generally find her quirkiness really charming and sincere.

Us, Samson and Summer in the City are probably my 3 favorites overall.

I watched the new DVD last night and really liked it.

My current top 10 is:

Buildings
    Human of the Year
    Back of a Truck
    Pound of Flesh
    Samson
    Chemo Limo
    Loveology
    Love You're a Whore
    Sailor Song
    Us

She was looking out the window Snow White's Avatar
    My top ten, in no particular order:
    All the Rowboats
    The Bronx
    Loveology
    Bobbing for Apples
    Human of the Year
    Dance Anthem of the Eighties
    Braille
    Après Moi
    Chemo Limo
    Divorce Song

Honorable Mentions:
    On the Radio
    Lucky Penny
    Daniel Cowman
    2.99C Blues

That was harder than I anticipated.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Us
    Samson
    Summer in the City
    Bobbing For Apples
    Field Below
    Chemo Limo
    Sailor Song
    Après Moi
    Baby Jesus
    Hero (admittedly due to my association with its scene in 500 Days of Summer)

On The Radio
    Chemo Limo
    The Calculation
    Après Moi
    That Time
    Samson
    Human Of The Year
    Dance Anthem Of The 80's
    Sailor Song
    Uh-Merica

If the list included covers, Real Love would be at the top.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I'm not a huge fan. I own Begin To Hope. I think she repeats words too much in her songs. Artists do this, I know. Tori does this from time to time.. but on Begin To Hope she repeats words on almost every track. It just gets a little exhausting. I think as she matures as a songwriter she will not do this as much. She will have more content. One hopes. I'm no expert.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    ^Perhaps you should listen to her most recent output.

The Sweetest Cherry in an Apple Pie Talula's Avatar
    Why haven't I listened to her music before?!

The first song from Regina I heard was a cover of Leonard Cohen's "Chelsea Hotel No.2". I didn't like it. I never liked those kind of colors of the voices, and when I heard that cover, it sounded kinda dreamy, and the song lost its significance. She didn't leave an impression on me, so I never tried to listen to her again.

Last week I came across "Fidelity", the first song of herself I heard. Again, I was faced with that horrible (for me back then) color of the voice, but I decided to ignore it as much as it was possible and give it a go. I liked the song. It was interesting and different. Maybe because of the "And it breaks my ha-ha-ha-ha-r-r-r-t, heart" part. Later I watched "Fidelity" music video, and liked it as well. It was too late - the song was stuck in my head, actually "And it breaks my ha-ha-ha-ha-r-r-r-t, heart" and "Gonna get bea-bea-bea-bea-better..." parts.

As I didn't have anything to do, I decide to give a go to some of her album. Went to Wikipedia, saw "Live in London" album and chose it, since it's the album with her best songs (I supposed; you're not gonna put a bad songs on your live album). I don't know if it's due to her live performing of the songs or just due to her music, but the color of her voice wasn't horrible anymore. I LOVED almost ALL THE SONGS! From the ballads to the fun songs. I can't tell which song I love the most, 'cause I love (almost) all the songs, but the songs as (no order) "Blue Lips", "Apres Moi" (bringing a piece of Russian spirit and Russian language into the song makes the song more original), "Eet", "Ode to the Divorce", "Laughing With", "Man of a Thousand Faces", "Samson", "Hotel Song" are really good, and I just can't put my finger on the best one (yet). Of course, I didn't forget nor those catchy faster songs such as "Dance Anthem of the 80's", "Folding Chair", "The Calculation", "Machine", "On the Radio" and so on (if something's left ). I can only tell which classification I prefer more, and that's the first one.

Her music style is very interesting - variations in her singing, jumping from one note to another all of a sudden, unpredictability...

I'm planning to hear her entire music catalog; the rest of the albums - the real albums. Hopefully I'll like them.

Are there (still) Regina's fans here? What's in your opinion her best album?

The live album you have is mostly songs from her latest album, Far. It's not my favorite. Go back and find solo bootlegs from the past tours. She's a great live performer.

Her most successful album was probably Begin to Hope thanks to the songs Fidelity, On the Radio, and Samson, but it does have its low points and most fans will tell you they prefer the three previous albums: 11:11, Songs, and Soviet Kitsch.

By the way, she includes Russian in Après Moi because she was born there.

The Sweetest Cherry in an Apple Pie Talula's Avatar
    Thanks.

Yeah, I've noticed the difference between the studio version of "Fidelity" and the live version I have. (I guess it's the same case with the other songs). I prefer it live.

As for "Far", I really don't know what songs from "Live in London" it includes , but I read some of the posts in this thread and saw it isn't a favorite, actually, quite opposite.

I think I'll start from the first album. Album by album, and then make a selection.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    If you're willing to commit to listening to all the albums in order, then I think it's a great idea to start from the beginning. But if I had to pick one as an introductory album, it'd be Soviet Kitsch for sure.

Soviet Kitsch is her most definitive work, to me, though there are certain songs from Songs that are invaluable, like Samson.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Yes, definitely Soviet Kitsch for a new listener, but I also recommend Songs.