Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All thing Android.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Usually the new updates are rolled out to other phones over time, and you will get a notification if/when the update is available for your handset.

Although I am still running Froyo (android 2.2) I installed the keyboard from Gingerbread a while back, which was floating around online, and which I find much more userfriendly than the previous android keyboards for touchscreen smartphones. I tried Swype and other alternate input options, but the keyboard from the Gingerbread version of the OS is just lovely to use. But it was an additional install, and is using up space, so I want the new OS mostly so I don't have to deal with that

Oh, I also have Lookout Mobile Security, which does handy backups too just in case.

I just downloaded SlideScreen on your recommendation Peter, and it's pretty nifty I gotta say. It pretty much replaces so much of my phone and contains it in one place. I'm liking it so far, to be honest. I'm gonna give it a go and see if I prefer it all round.

I love it- it's just so much cleaner than any of the other homescreens I've seen/used. I do wish it had a music widget on it, though.

So, let me ask everybody about Layar. I had it, but had no use for it. Like, it's kind of neat to see everything in a 3D AR kind of way, but I couldn't ever figure what a good day-to-day use for it would be. Suggestions?

I've not used Layar actually. Must give it a go.

However, my interest in Thrutu was piqued by this LifeHacker article: http://lifehacker.com/5812732/thrutu...ation-and-more

Totally gonna give it a try.

Google Music App is a lifesaver. My biggest gripe with Android was transferring music. It's real handy to just have it all whenever, without taking up any space.

Ok, I'm completely won over by Slidescreen, which Peter posted earlier. I've not even been slightly tempted to switch back to the HTC Sense default that came with my Desire. In fact, I'm tempted to root the phone and uninstall HTC Sense entirely and get rid of some space using apps that I never use that come bundled with Sense (Peep, Footprints... etc)

I did uninstall doubleTwist, as it was a bit of a space hog, and wouldn't install on my SD card. Also, I realised I don't listen to music on my phone ever these days. If I want to, I'll reinstall something. But not now.

Oops. Accidental thread closing. Soz all.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Ok, I'm completely won over by Slidescreen, which Peter posted earlier. I've not even been slightly tempted to switch back to the HTC Sense default that came with my Desire. In fact, I'm tempted to root the phone and uninstall HTC Sense entirely and get rid of some space using apps that I never use that come bundled with Sense (Peep, Footprints... etc)
    More than tempted to do this - I have some non-deletable apps bundled with the phone that are fucking AWFUL. The worst of the worst. How-to link?

^ This is what I've been looking into using: http://unrevoked.com/recovery/

There's a walk-through here: http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/20/how...evoked-method/ and there's more info about what phones it'll work for and the like in the first link too.

Definitely recommend jailbreaking your phone if you have too much bloatware pre-installed. Unrevoked is a great tool for that, as is super one click.

In other android news, I just got the Samsung Droid Charge. Good holy hell, this thing is fast. And huge! Sheesh! Totally in love with it so far.

I did uninstall doubleTwist, as it was a bit of a space hog, and wouldn't install on my SD card. Also, I realised I don't listen to music on my phone ever these days. If I want to, I'll reinstall something. But not now.
    I looked at Slidescreen. I wasn't impressed, there's no widget support for one, no wallpaper support, either. It's a nice app if you just want to check multiple things at once, but as a home screen replacement, it's quite lacking.

Disclaimer: This post was posted in Computers and Technology...
    It doesn't work the way I want it to, so it must be bugged.
    www.wowpedia.org/User:Egingell
    wow.curse.com/members/egingell.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raven View Post
    I looked at Slidescreen. I wasn't impressed, there's no widget support for one, no wallpaper support, either. It's a nice app if you just want to check multiple things at once, but as a home screen replacement, it's quite lacking.
    Ah, yes, but that's exactly what I like about it. I don't like most of the widget options and found myself trying to fill extra screens on my Desire with stuff that I didn't need or want. The wallpaper is still there on the lock screen, which is just fine and dandy for me, and once I unlock I have the information that I wanted to see that I was unlocking the phone for in the first place.

It's a really compact version of a home screen, with enough of the information that the widgets usually display without excessive flicking between screens.

At the moment, the only thing I wanna change is to replace the "stocks" option with "google plus", but I'm sure that'll come in soon in a new update.

I find widgets kinda pointless. But then again, I'm coming from having had an iPhone before this, so usually I want to access the app and not look at a widget instead. Most of them are pretty pointless and useless in my opinion compared with what the app itself actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Definitely recommend jailbreaking your phone if you have too much bloatware pre-installed. Unrevoked is a great tool for that, as is super one click.

In other android news, I just got the Samsung Droid Charge. Good holy hell, this thing is fast. And huge! Sheesh! Totally in love with it so far.
    A friend has an older handset and is rooting his phone today, and has to go about it the older way (making a goldcard etc...) but I'm gonna see how it goes for him, and then probably do the same with my Desire, but using the easier unrevoked option.

Ah, yes, but that's exactly what I like about it. I don't like most of the widget options and found myself trying to fill extra screens on my Desire with stuff that I didn't need or want. The wallpaper is still there on the lock screen, which is just fine and dandy for me, and once I unlock I have the information that I wanted to see that I was unlocking the phone for in the first place.

It's a really compact version of a home screen, with enough of the information that the widgets usually display without excessive flicking between screens.

At the moment, the only thing I wanna change is to replace the "stocks" option with "google plus", but I'm sure that'll come in soon in a new update.

I find widgets kinda pointless. But then again, I'm coming from having had an iPhone before this, so usually I want to access the app and not look at a widget instead. Most of them are pretty pointless and useless in my opinion compared with what the app itself actually does.
    /\ Exactly. Yes, it takes away the shiny wallpaper. I am one of those users who could give two shits about a shiny wallpaper. Gimme data. Delicious, delicious data. Especially on older phones, where animated wallpapers and the like slow everything right down, slidescreen can be a lifesaver.

Is there an app that will tell me why my phone crashed, restarted itself, etc?

Disclaimer: This post was posted in Computers and Technology...
    It doesn't work the way I want it to, so it must be bugged.
    www.wowpedia.org/User:Egingell
    wow.curse.com/members/egingell.aspx