Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: All thing Android.

Yesterday, a friend was just giving me shit about the rumored iPhone colors and he asked if their inspiration was a bag of Skittles. Ten minutes later I saw the story about KitKat and I sent him a link. I actually liked Key Lime Pie way better, but maybe that's because it's far more delicious than a KitKat.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I've no idea what a Key Lime Pie tastes like. Keys? Lime Keys?

It tastes delicious!!! Fluffy and lime-y. It's a lime juice with condensed milk in a pie crust (with no meringue for me, thanks).

Oh, ebby. We can't be friends anymore.

Key limes are a smaller, more tart variety of lime. You basically make a custard with them and pour it into a pie shell. It's so good. A KitKat doesn't even compare.

I wish I could keep all the versions of Android straight. I have an HTC One X and I barely use it. I spent a bunch of time customizing it and stuff but it still doesn't appeal to me. It's a shame it wouldn't work in Ireland, otherwise I could send it to you to play with until you upgraded your phone.

I'm still using a HTC Desire running OS 2.3. It's sad, I know but it's bloody HTC's fault for not even updating to 3.0. I don't need my phone for much but aside from text and phone calls I basically use the GPS and to read email. It's three years old, and I was quite content with it until a month ago when it started to drop calls on me and some apps won't even install. I tried rooting it but I failed, and didn't feel like trying again. Also, I don't know if I can blame it entirely on Android because it has been with me through 3 seasons of excavations (lots of sand, dirt, rain), when it's been raining and I've dropped it a lot. But it still worked.

It hasn't died yet, so there's no urgency in getting a new one, but I have my eyes on a Nexus or a Samsung Galaxy 4 Active,. That one actually would be the most sensitive choice considering that I work outdoors most of the time and it's always raining (not really but it fucking feels like it).

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Tapatalk 4 for Android is on sale right now for $0.99
    How are you finding it? I ended up going back to Oldskool Tapatalk 2 because I seemed to always be needing to sweep-in menus to get at things I can do without thinking from Tapatalk 2. So maybe just a familiarity issue, but I got the feeling T4 is designed for a notepad and then squeezed down to fit a phone screen.

My G3's mUSB and headphone sockets are both starting to give out at the same time. I'm remembering that time I dropped it down the toilet a couple of months ago... and worrying, oxidizationally

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    How are you finding it? I ended up going back to Oldskool Tapatalk 2 because I seemed to always be needing to sweep-in menus to get at things I can do without thinking from Tapatalk 2. So maybe just a familiarity issue, but I got the feeling T4 is designed for a notepad and then squeezed down to fit a phone screen.
    Yeah, I've been having the same issue and had to get used to not hitting the back key on my phone, which took me out of the application completely when I just wanted to switch menus. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the @Notification menu is either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Oh, ebby. We can't be friends anymore.

Key limes are a smaller, more tart variety of lime. You basically make a custard with them and pour it into a pie shell. It's so good. A KitKat doesn't even compare.

I wish I could keep all the versions of Android straight. I have an HTC One X and I barely use it. I spent a bunch of time customizing it and stuff but it still doesn't appeal to me. It's a shame it wouldn't work in Ireland, otherwise I could send it to you to play with until you upgraded your phone.
    Omg. You have one of the best android phones going at the moment so.

I think it comes down to personal taste really, I like how android looks and I find it really appealing and I just love it. I've grown to dislike iOS more and more ever since (I think it looks particularly ugly on an iPad, for example, but it looks nice on an iphone. But android looks better on a tablet than on a phone maybe. Or maybe my phone is too small.)

Would it not work in Ireland? ()

Quote Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
    I'm still using a HTC Desire running OS 2.3. It's sad, I know but it's bloody HTC's fault for not even updating to 3.0. I don't need my phone for much but aside from text and phone calls I basically use the GPS and to read email. It's three years old, and I was quite content with it until a month ago when it started to drop calls on me and some apps won't even install. I tried rooting it but I failed, and didn't feel like trying again. Also, I don't know if I can blame it entirely on Android because it has been with me through 3 seasons of excavations (lots of sand, dirt, rain), when it's been raining and I've dropped it a lot. But it still worked.

It hasn't died yet, so there's no urgency in getting a new one, but I have my eyes on a Nexus or a Samsung Galaxy 4 Active,. That one actually would be the most sensitive choice considering that I work outdoors most of the time and it's always raining (not really but it fucking feels like it).
    What were you using to root it? There's an easy one-click version for HTC Desire. This is what I used: http://unrevoked.com/ and this is the new tool that is a bit more complicated it seems: http://revolutionary.io/

The lack of updates for my Desire is why I rooted it and I've been upgrading it myself instead by finding ROMs for it. It's a pain, but luckily the newer phones all seem to get updates a bit better.

My Desire is starting to die at the moment too - the battery life is killing me so much. It's a constant source of annoyance, but I've had it for quite a while now, so I guess the battery is just starting to die.

The new Nexus cropped up in a promo video for the new version of android, but Google seem to have pulled the video when they realised:

(new Nexus, and nexus 4 side by side basically)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting little tidbit in the wake of Nokia being bought by Microsoft: apparently some of the Nokia employees have set up their own company instead, and had been trying to buy out Nokia but couldn't match Microsoft. What makes it interesting, is these people believe that Nokia phones should have gone down the route of using Android OS and would then be much more successful as a result, and that the problem is Windows Phone isn't taking a stronghold in the market. So, this new company, which is rather hilariously called Newkia is looking to bring Nokia style tech with Android OS.

Microsoft only apparently has licensed the Nokia patents and doesn't own them, so it leaves it open for Newkia to use those patents also.

News interview with Thomas Zilliacus, former CEO of Nokia who is launching Newkia: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...er/802418.html

This could bring an interesting development for people who love the Nokia hardware, but not the windows phone os.

Watching the I/O anyone? Some interesting new things in Android L coming out.

Gizmodo's liveblog:
    http://live.gizmodo.com/our-google-i...t-1-1594935478

Wow. The sync between android wear watches and phones are amazing.

And now voice enabled Android auto too, which is seriously wonderful too.

We are almost living in The Girl From Tomorrow. Just gotta turn Glass into a Transducer...
    Last edited by ebby; 06-25-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    The oddest google maps Easter Egg so far; Android pissing all over Apple

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/PTC...73796c230a1d38

ETA: they removed it =(
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎