Page 97 of 101 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1509

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

I thought The Affair really fumbled the ball with the same concept. I really liked the first several episodes of Season 1 but disliked the last two or three so much I never watched it again.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Finally watched all of The Night Manager. I really enjoyed it! It's fairly standard spy-thriller stuff but unfolding the story over six episodes allowed them to take their time and delve into things with a little more complexity and weight than you normally see. Olivia Colman and Hugh Laurie were wonderful. Tom Hiddleston was beautiful. The end.

Second episode of Big Little Lies was just as good, if not better than, the first. It's just a really good mix of drama and dark comedy and suspense. The characters are complex and three-dimensional, and the cast is EXCELLENT. Really excited to see where it goes. I'm resisting the temptation to read the book, but I really want to know what happens!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I thought the third episode of Big Little Lies was a little dull. My least favorite so far. I still don't know what the fuck is going on, but I'm enjoying the ride... even if a little less after last night. It was more upsetting for me personally than the previous two.

Did anyone catch Feud? I wasn't planning on watching but there was literally nothing else on so I figured I'd give it a chance. It was interesting. It's Always Sunny dropped F- and C-bombs a few weeks ago on FXX, so I guess FX is running with it now too. While neither word offends me generally, it still is jarring when you're watching basic cable and it's like "OMG THEY SAID IT."

Clearly I'm a child. That "shit" episode of South Park still is one of the funniest things I've seen over a decade later.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I've not been let down by Big Little Lies, yet. THE MARKNESS, I do hope you have read some of Moriarty's work. I don't think of her as a chick-lit author or even in the category as writers like Nora Roberts or Janet Evanovich. Something about the writing in her scenes of the books have a lot of grit. I also like that her chapters aren't very long. I get through the book faster that way. I haven't read Big Little Lies, yet, either.. but The Husband's Secret and Truly Madly Guilty are very bingeworthy reads.

I have skipped the last two episodes of GIRLS, tho.

Feud didn't have a great deal of feuding. Is it grammatical to say it wasn't very feudal? lol BUT BUT BUT It was interesting to see what happened to actresses after the "studio system" collapsed. I don't like the whole
    part, because again it isn't really playing into the Feud. But for many that might be the most interesting part. Other than that for what the work is Jessica and Susan are killing it.

The show did make me go rent the movie on Amazon for $2.99 ... money well spent as I thought it was a very entertaining and extremely interesting film. I guess they just don't make them like they used to.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-07-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    I got so much flavor put me on the buffet.

So, my guilty pleasure these past few weeks is that I've been watching Emerald City. It's kind of a bad show as far as the writing and plot go. Dorothy kinda annoys me, too. However, the Wicked Witch is the hotness. Love her! And the world it's set in is awesome. I love the whole mesh of science and magic going on. Not to mention the cinematography, costumes, and sets all led by director Tarsem. (Remember J-Lo in The Cell?) So, yeah, it's over now and I'd be surprised if it got a second season, but I'd watch it if it did go to S2--even with the terrible writing and partially annoying cast.

I finished the second season of Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix. I really enjoyed it! You should check it out if you're a fan of the original, OR if you liked Avatar: The Last Airbender, because a lot of the writers and producers from A:TLA went on to work on Voltron. It's pretty straightforward, but well-executed and enjoyable. Some of the action sequences are more intense and cool than what you see in live-action movies these days.

Finished American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson last night. I thought it was an excellent, nuanced, complex dramatization of the whole saga. It hit many of the same thematic points (and made many of the same thematic arguments) as the OJ: Made in America documentary that was released the same year (which, by the way, is also excellent).

It's funny to have lived through that time but have been too young to really understand the larger picture. Contextualizing the murders and the trial within Los Angeles's racial history, as well as OJ's personal history with race/class/fame/power/abuse, gives as clear of an explanation as possible as to why the jurors let him walk despite the overwhelming physical evidence.

Also, Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark is literally everything. She acted her ass off and she deserved the Emmy she got for the performance.

Iron Fist is so very slow. SO SLOW.

Tonight everyone was going on about it's the Kardashian episode where Kim gets robbed. Like it was filmed or something. So I tuned in to watch it and I am just so confused. Is it real is it fake? I'm not hating on Kim at all. It was obviously real. I feel for her. I believe her and it's awful.. but the shocking part of the episode was just how much clout the family has in the industry.
    eeeee..
    I guess I haven't been KEEPING UP enough but one of the sister's is a high-fashion model now? The whole family was basically in Paris and I thought they weren't taken seriously by the "fashion world." And here they were being fitted by some of the most important designers and feeling so stressed out about it.. at least the oldest sister was. yadda yadda. What is so stressful about getting dressed in clothing that is probably worth more than I'll ever know in my lifetime? FOR FREE!! We all have our triggers and issues, I suppose.

Anyhow.. the episode was confusing and the show is not something I understand. Watching Kanye pulling clothing and dressing up his sister-in-law was actually kind of interesting. I could have watched a whole hour of that. AHEM. "She needs more lace in the collar." Ok, Yeezy, go on with your bad self!

I did watch all the Caitlyn Jenner episodes, tho, last year and the year before. Wish they would have had another season because it featured so many important and prominent transfolk out there trying to make a difference.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-20-2017 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    Iron Fist is so very slow. SO SLOW.
    I came to say exactly the same. I've been watching it for the weekend, and I feel I've been watching this show for a month. The chapters feel like two hours long, the fights are TERRIBLENESS and I don't give a fuck about all the parts about the Rand Company.
    I'm one chapter away to finish the season, just because I feel I'm cheating if I dislike it without watching the whole thing, but man, the show is really bad.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Santa Clarita Diet is fucking hilarious and NOT what I expected at all.

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    Big Little Lies theories? After last night, I am convinced:

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    Big Little Lies theories? After last night, I am convinced:

I've thoroughly enjoyed every episode thus far. Everything works so beautifully. Everyone is acting their asses off and the material is juicy. It's gorgeous to look at, too.
    Last edited by The Seaward; 03-21-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Can we just talk about the brilliance of Nicole Kidman for a minute? Her scenes last night were incredible. What an actress.

I did give in and read the book. It was a long book but I couldn't put it down.
    Spoiler Free:
    They've already strayed away from the text in many ways so I am not sure the ending of the show will be the same as the ending of the book. Basically, I am still in suspense. And I think the things they've changed have actually made the show much better imo.

I've read The Husbands Secret, Big Little Lies, and Truly Madly Guilty. BLLs is the best of the three. I can see why it was made into a show out of those three recent Moriarty novels.

The Husband's Secret would make a good movie, I think. It's smaller than the other two and could fit within a 2 hour piece.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-21-2017 at 12:51 AM.