Page 118 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1962

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

Black Mirror S4
    This was probably the most disappointing season of the series for me overall. Half of the episodes (Crocodile, Arkangel, and Metalhead) had me actually bored. As a Star Trek fan I loved the season opener with "U.S.S. Callister," probably my favorite episode of the season. "Hang the DJ" was interesting and had great performances, but lacked a certain gravitas that it needed to be something as great as "San Junipero" from S3. And "Black Museum" felt like something that'd be a series finale; I like how it tried to weave together the "Black Mirror Universe."

A.P. Bio
    As a teacher, I often don't find shows/films about teaching very entertaining and avoid them. Usually they're wildly unrealistic and frustrating as teachers are either portrayed as selfish and incompetent for laughs or superhuman in their capacity for selflessness and devotion for those drama feels. However, I watched the first three episodes of A.P. Bio and the overall blatant absurdity of the premise (a disgraced former Harvard professor teaches one class--ONE--at his Mid-western hometown highschool) and the bombastic narcissism of Glenn Howerton's character (a version of Dennis from Always Sunny in Philadelphia that somehow taught at Harvard) coupled with a solid comedic supporting cast led by Patton Oswald had me laughing. Looks like 'm in the minority though as it's gotten poor marks from critics and in the ratings. I hope it can find an audience and at least make it through a whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I started Rita, a Danish tv show that it's on Netflix. It's a sort of comedy about a teacher in primary school who likes to have sex and has a very particular point of view about what's the real role of an educator in the life of a child. It's very good; I expected something like Cameron Diaz's Bad Teacher, but it's not like that at all.
    Looks like I've got another show to add to my queue. This character sounds like a friend of mine who's an elementary teacher in FL. I'm gonna check it out for that alone.
    Last edited by Crispy; 02-14-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I fucking LOVE Rita Glad you're watching it. They just added the 4th season here in The Netherlands, which is a bit different than the previous three, but still good.
    I finished it yesterday. I agree with the 4th season being different; it was not being necessary but it was good. We kind of imagine that her youth was pretty much like that.
    I loved the script, how all the characters make mistakes, learn from them and then they do it again, but somehow they still change a bit. I don't know if it's perceived in the same way in another countries, but I found it very interesting to compare it with my country and how some "progressive" attitudes are complete bullshit for them and are "oh you're so progressive, you're sooooo cool!" here (the perfect example: the episode when Knud a kid is being bullied and the kid's parents ask for forgiveness to the bullier's dad).
    And Rita... She's basically the teacher I would've wanted to have when I was in school. "I became a teacher to save the kids from their parents". Amen.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I finished it yesterday. I agree with the 4th season being different; it was not being necessary but it was good. We kind of imagine that her youth was pretty much like that.
    I loved the script, how all the characters make mistakes, learn from them and then they do it again, but somehow they still change a bit. I don't know if it's perceived in the same way in another countries, but I found it very interesting to compare it with my country and how some "progressive" attitudes are complete bullshit for them and are "oh you're so progressive, you're sooooo cool!" here (the perfect example: the episode when Knud a kid is being bullied and the kid's parents ask for forgiveness to the bullier's dad).
    And Rita... She's basically the teacher I would've wanted to have when I was in school. "I became a teacher to save the kids from their parents". Amen.
    I thought Hjørdis was a bit of a caricature in season 4. Speaking of which: she has her own 4-episode spin-off. It's a bit more tame than Rita, and Rita isn't in it, but it's still alright. I hope it comes back for a 5th season, because I'd love to see how the story continues.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    The British documentary series The Nightmare Neighbour Next Door. This show has me in fucking stitches. I have found myself LOL'ing so hard that tears roll down my face. The lengths crazy/bored/lonely/drug-addled/manipulative people will go to annoy those living near to them is pretty incredible. This can then necessitate spying on behalf of those being afflicted who seek proof of harassment using all kinds of cameras and recording devices. There are old geezers peering into homes with binoculars. Individuals assaulting one another with garden hoses and hammers. Fights over parking spaces, the placement of rubbish bins, and garden waste. People shouting abuse at one another and engaging in rude gesticulations. Arguments over land ownership. Nefarious investment schemes hatched by so-called "friendly" neighbors. Instances of property damage to vehicles and fences. Men and women resorting to fisticuffs in driveways. Illicit public behavior including masturbation, mooning, and throwing feces. And a barrage of restraining orders, lawsuits, eviction notices, and even prison sentences.

I see some people posting negative things about Altered Carbon...am I the only one who's really enjoying it? Sure, it's bombastic, but I find it so entertaining and interesting. It's like a mix of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse universe with Blade Runner, and stylistically, it has a live-action anime feel that reminds me (positively) of what was so striking about the original Matrix movie. It IS, however, extremely extremely violent, so YMMV. There are parts of it where I had to look away or cover my eyes.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Is it violent in general or is it particularly violent towards women? I just can’t watch violence towards women anymore. There’s too much of it in television it seems. I’m sick of it.

Everything Sucks! season one on Netflix was flawed but complete and utter fun. It has 90s nostalgia in heavy gear, but it's an engaging story and the two main characters go to a Tori Amos concert in Portland.

Also, Leslie is the new Barb.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Everything Sucks! season one on Netflix was flawed but complete and utter fun. It has 90s nostalgia in heavy gear, but it's an engaging story and the two main characters go to a Tori Amos concert in Portland.

Also, Leslie is the new Barb.
    Was just going in here to post the same, flawed but fun!! Alanis, Tori, Nada Surf, video cameras... it reminds me of me so much. But that is probably the point. I didnt even know about all the musical stuff in it beforehand, so it
    kinda took me by surprise.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by lacuna View Post
    Is it violent in general or is it particularly violent towards women? I just can’t watch violence towards women anymore. There’s too much of it in television it seems. I’m sick of it.
    Nah, there's violence towards everything that's alive, basically.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

OMG, this is so funny

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I am watching reruns of "Hoaders" and I have yet to see anyone beat out the lady with roaches in her refrigerator and used sanitary pads and toilet paper all over the floor. I understand that it is a type of mental illness, but that to me is beyond hording,

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    This new season of the X-Files has been uneven, but last night's episode, RM-something-or-other, was fantastic, A real highlight of the entire show, not just this year.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    (wrong thread)

Does anyone else watch Channel Zero? I loved the first series, Candle Cove, and have been catching up with the second, The No-End House. It's like American Horror Story but more interesting/complex/well-executed/actually scary.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I binged S1 of ATLANTA on HULU this week and found it surprisingly funny and dramatic. I didn't expect such a whimsical and irreverent tone to the show's humor. ("Montague" episode and "Tha Club" episode with the invisible car are good examples of what I'm talking about) Looking forward to S2.

I started Mindhunter S1 on Netflix. It has a slow start (took me two viewings to get through the first episode as I fell asleep) but it picks up. On episode five now and I'm really digging it. This guy playing Kemper is fantastic.