Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1870

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

  1. #1861
    entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    5,669
    Stones gonna come down on me.. but what is Brooklyn Nine-Nine? Do they have some good LGBT storylines?
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

  2. #1862
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Stones gonna come down on me.. but what is Brooklyn Nine-Nine? Do they have some good LGBT storylines?
    It's a ragtag bunch of cops in Brooklyn. There are some good lgbt stories but it's not the primary focus. It's ethnically diverse and has a lot of competent women, so it beats nearly every other show in having those two things.

    It's sometimes super dark but usually it's fairly light and quirky. Very quotable, lots of interesting guest stars.

  3. #1863
    Senior Member Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,942
    I would say that Holt (Andre Braugher) being a gay, African-American police chief - and the obstacle the former trait in particular has been to his career - has been one of the primary story lines throughout the series (without ever being the slightest bit preachy). His relationship with his husband has also been mined for spectacular comedy during the run. He's a mature gay character in an adult, committed, long-term relationship. 90% of their material could probably be used line-by-line by a straight TV couple, and the joke never comes down to "it's funny because they're both men".

    Another character came out to her coworkers as bisexual in a solid mini-arc this season.

    That said, a lot of enjoying the show comes down to whether or not you can stand Andy Samberg. I actually didn't think I could, until I watched the first season.

    So happy NBC saved it.

  4. #1864
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I would say that Holt (Andre Braugher) being a gay, African-American police chief - and the obstacle the former trait in particular has been to his career - has been one of the primary story lines throughout the series (without ever being the slightest bit preachy). His relationship with his husband has also been mined for spectacular comedy during the run. He's a mature gay character in an adult, committed, long-term relationship. 90% of their material could probably be used line-by-line by a straight TV couple, and the joke never comes down to "it's funny because they're both men".
    He's gay, but it's not his ONLY defining characteristic. So it's a positive representation, but it's not like JUST JACK on Will and Grace. Not that Jack-like people are wrong, but the "no big deal, nothing to see here" aspect of Holt's representation is really nice and refreshing. I like that.

    But as he's a supporting character and his personal life only comes up some of the time, one might be disappointed in thinking there's going to be an overt lgbt reference every episode.

  5. #1865
    Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,300
    I only saw a single episode of B99 and I absolutely hated it. I thought it was corny, not funny, and for whatever reason the cinematography totally turned me off (I cannot think of a second case of this particular issue in my entire TV watching history, so the fact that it really turned me off so hard seems really weird.) Sounds like it may be worth looking into a few more episodes.

  6. #1866
    trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I only saw a single episode of B99 and I absolutely hated it. I thought it was corny, not funny, and for whatever reason the cinematography totally turned me off (I cannot think of a second case of this particular issue in my entire TV watching history, so the fact that it really turned me off so hard seems really weird.) Sounds like it may be worth looking into a few more episodes.
    I had the same experience. I caught a random episode when it was live, and could not wait until it was over. Recently, I gave it a try on Hulu and I've come to really enjoy most episodes. I don't get the extreme adoration many seem to have for it and have only had a few laugh-out-loud moments with it, but it's a good usually entertaining show that doesn't punch down (except the constant fat jokes) and you can turn your brain off for 30 minutes. Andy Sandberg annoys the everloving shit out of me, but I love Holt, Charles, Gina, and Terry. Something that really annoys me as a huge Parks and Rec fan is one of the characters, Rosa, feels like a clone of April Ludgate, and as much as I liked that character, it feels more like a copy than inspiration and makes her wholly uninsteresting to me.

    I realize this is not a ringing endorsement. But I would definitely check it out and see if it's your thing.

  7. #1867
    entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    5,669
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Regina Phalange again.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

  8. #1868
    the unhappy worker waitressboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    3,491
    13 Reasons Why, season 2
    This link says pretty much the same things I thought about it: http://www.nme.com/blogs/tv-blogs/13...review-2316806
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

  9. #1869
    entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    5,669
    How does this show already have a sequel when THE OA does not???
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

  10. #1870
    I am not a loony beanstew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,457
    The OA sequel is in production! I can't wait!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •