Page 94 of 121 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1805

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Portlandia used to be wear it's at. Now it is where it was.
    So true.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Santa Clarita Diet -- I knew right from the first scene when Drew Barrymore talks about Jennifer Lawrence's haircut, that this would be hilarious, and it hasn't disappointed. I'm a fan of Drew in general, but omg... Timothy Olyphant is still sooooo fucking hot.

Am I the only one watching The Man In The High Castle? I'm a big PK Dick fan, I've read almost all of his books, so I kinda get what it's about to begin with. But the semi-real worlds are gorgeously shot, the acting is very good, and it's unnerving in just the right amount. I have one more episode of season 2 to go, looking forward to a season 3.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Santa Clarita Diet -- I knew right from the first scene when Drew Barrymore talks about Jennifer Lawrence's haircut, that this would be hilarious, and it hasn't disappointed. I'm a fan of Drew in general, but omg... Timothy Olyphant is still sooooo fucking hot.
    He's as hot as he was nearly 2 decades ago when he was in smaller films and one of the Scream movies and I suspect he'll be as sexy 2 decades from now. He's aging well.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

THIS!
    Last edited by Alamo; 02-17-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Big Little Lies is really cool. Very impressed by this show.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    ^The first ep is on the DVR. I might get to it tonight.

In other news. We watched the first episode of Taboo. I'm sure it was all over the place in order to set up later eps, but I'm not sure I want to watch later eps now because it was all over the place. I also felt like I needed subtitles.

Really enjoyed the first episodes of Big Little Lies and Legion.

I hope that they keep the identity of the victim in Big Little Lies a secret until the end. It's kinda clever to generate suspense by reconstructing events in flashback, not knowing who the eventual victim in the present moment is.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    Really enjoyed the first episodes of Big Little Lies and Legion.

I hope that they keep the identity of the victim in Big Little Lies a secret until the end. It's kinda clever to generate suspense by reconstructing events in flashback, not knowing who the eventual victim in the present moment is.
    Have you seen The Affair? I loved this way of storytelling in The Affair because I hadn't seen it in a show before, and it's distracting me with Big Little Lies. I keep thinking about how The Affair did this so effectively and how original it felt. I'm trying to enjoy this show without comparing it, but it's grating on me a bit.

Feck. Is Legion on Monday nights? I loved the first episode.

I've not read Big Little Lies yet and I am so glad I haven't because I, too, want to stay in suspense about whom the victim is.
    For now, it seems like the character Madeline is kind of the main point of view. Reese does a really good job with her. Sometimes I marvel at how great an actress she is. I know she was kind of the RomCom queen for a decade but the lady can work a script.

I believe they film the show with only natural lighting. I think it has a great vibe.

I'm not sure this show will be as good as The Affair. Could be. I know a lot of parents probably relate to the viciousness that can happen between other parents in a setting like this. Making the kids line up like that because they didn't know each other's names yet. I also loved when one of the witnesses says something like, "Had she not have fallen we wouldn't be sitting here," talking about the scene when Madeline rolls her ankle and the chain of events that spiraled from that. I like the play on how one silly incident can eventually lead to something as big as a murder.
    Last edited by Volta; 02-22-2017 at 02:15 AM.

I thought The Affair really fumbled the ball with the same concept. I really liked the first several episodes of Season 1 but disliked the last two or three so much I never watched it again.

Finally watched all of The Night Manager. I really enjoyed it! It's fairly standard spy-thriller stuff but unfolding the story over six episodes allowed them to take their time and delve into things with a little more complexity and weight than you normally see. Olivia Colman and Hugh Laurie were wonderful. Tom Hiddleston was beautiful. The end.

Second episode of Big Little Lies was just as good, if not better than, the first. It's just a really good mix of drama and dark comedy and suspense. The characters are complex and three-dimensional, and the cast is EXCELLENT. Really excited to see where it goes. I'm resisting the temptation to read the book, but I really want to know what happens!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I thought the third episode of Big Little Lies was a little dull. My least favorite so far. I still don't know what the fuck is going on, but I'm enjoying the ride... even if a little less after last night. It was more upsetting for me personally than the previous two.

Did anyone catch Feud? I wasn't planning on watching but there was literally nothing else on so I figured I'd give it a chance. It was interesting. It's Always Sunny dropped F- and C-bombs a few weeks ago on FXX, so I guess FX is running with it now too. While neither word offends me generally, it still is jarring when you're watching basic cable and it's like "OMG THEY SAID IT."

Clearly I'm a child. That "shit" episode of South Park still is one of the funniest things I've seen over a decade later.

I've not been let down by Big Little Lies, yet. THE MARKNESS, I do hope you have read some of Moriarty's work. I don't think of her as a chick-lit author or even in the category as writers like Nora Roberts or Janet Evanovich. Something about the writing in her scenes of the books have a lot of grit. I also like that her chapters aren't very long. I get through the book faster that way. I haven't read Big Little Lies, yet, either.. but The Husband's Secret and Truly Madly Guilty are very bingeworthy reads.

I have skipped the last two episodes of GIRLS, tho.

Feud didn't have a great deal of feuding. Is it grammatical to say it wasn't very feudal? lol BUT BUT BUT It was interesting to see what happened to actresses after the "studio system" collapsed. I don't like the whole
    part, because again it isn't really playing into the Feud. But for many that might be the most interesting part. Other than that for what the work is Jessica and Susan are killing it.

The show did make me go rent the movie on Amazon for $2.99 ... money well spent as I thought it was a very entertaining and extremely interesting film. I guess they just don't make them like they used to.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-07-2017 at 02:39 AM.