Page 115 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1880

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I've seen 3 episodes of Black Mirror so far and I'm kinda disappointed. The first two were good tv, but not good Black Mirror. Everyone is praising USS Callister but that's not Black Mirror, it's "adult doctor who meets ready player one". Black Mirror has always been thought provoking on a social level, while this season is so much focused on personal, exceptional stories with no real systemic implications (Arkangel is the one that came closer to that, but was kinda cliché and kinda a missed opportunity). I'm not finding that in this season. USS Callister left me literally nothing to think about, Arkangel meh, Crocodile was... shit. Damn, I saw it today, it was SO bad. A stew of cheap, trite, stupid, pointless and privacy violations. Disappointed.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Honestly, I didn't like much of season three, so I stopped watching Black Mirror. My husband has been a big fan of The Americans for quite some time. He's rewatching it with me. I'm about done with season one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Grace View Post
    I've seen 3 episodes of Black Mirror so far and I'm kinda disappointed. The first two were good tv, but not good Black Mirror. Everyone is praising USS Callister but that's not Black Mirror, it's "adult doctor who meets ready player one". Black Mirror has always been thought provoking on a social level, while this season is so much focused on personal, exceptional stories with no real systemic implications (Arkangel is the one that came closer to that, but was kinda cliché and kinda a missed opportunity). I'm not finding that in this season. USS Callister left me literally nothing to think about, Arkangel meh, Crocodile was... shit. Damn, I saw it today, it was SO bad. A stew of cheap, trite, stupid, pointless and privacy violations. Disappointed.
    Yeah, this season of Black Mirror was not Black Mirror. What I liked about the first two season was that it talked about how society is (badly) influenced by how humans are using technology. The moral dilemmas, the psychological aspects, the social consequences of technology in our lives.
    Season 4 was... just a sci-fi show. The first chapter makes that very evident: it doesn't talk about how technology affects our lives because everything happens INSIDE the technology. It's entertaining, I'm not saying it's not. But it didn't leave me thinking. Crocodile is TERRIBLE. And Metalhead, there you have another example of how shallow this season is.
    The last episode, Black Museum, might be the only one that can be considered food for thought, but Black Mirror did it better before.

I'm watching The Leftovers; I'm watching the last episode tonight. It took me two seasons to understand it hahahahaha.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Yeah, this season of Black Mirror was not Black Mirror. What I liked about the first two season was that it talked about how society is (badly) influenced by how humans are using technology. The moral dilemmas, the psychological aspects, the social consequences of technology in our lives.
    Season 4 was... just a sci-fi show. The first chapter makes that very evident: it doesn't talk about how technology affects our lives because everything happens INSIDE the technology. It's entertaining, I'm not saying it's not. But it didn't leave me thinking. Crocodile is TERRIBLE. And Metalhead, there you have another example of how shallow this season is.
    The last episode, Black Museum, might be the only one that can be considered food for thought, but Black Mirror did it better before.
    This, exactly.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

I am rewatching Veronica Mars and I just realized that Jessica Chastain played a character in one of season one's episodes from 2006

The OA. Just watched the first 3 episodes on Netflix. That's some unsettling shit! I want to watch another as epic cliffhanger but am up at 0700h for work so need to get some sleep. I did all of Stranger Things (OMG! Yeah, late to the party as always!) last week and could barely function in the office due to sleep deprivation and mild trauma.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Rewatching Golden Girls on Hulu. Haven't seen an episode since I was a kid, so a few observations:
    1. Those outfits. Next level 80s.
    2. Sophia's personality was explained in the pilot as her having a stroke which affected the part of her brain that controlled politeness.
    3. Blanche had a gay housekeeper in the pilot that Sophia called the "fancy man."
    4. Rose is just like I remembered. Betty White never disappoints.
    5. Modern TV has made me forget how how formulaic and condensed sitcoms used to be.
    6. I've watched about six episodes and that theme song never gets old. It's gotta be one of the all-time top 10.
    7. Bea Arthur is OG, Tha Godmutha, Queen Bea of Savagery. All hail.

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    ... I did all of Stranger Things (OMG! Yeah, late to the party as always!) last week and could barely function in the office due to sleep deprivation and mild trauma.
    It was the Bob episode, right?

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I've actually started a rewatch very recently too. I never remembered these two things:

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Rewatching Golden Girls on Hulu. Haven't seen an episode since I was a kid, so a few observations:
    2. Sophia's personality was explained in the pilot as her having a stroke which affected the part of her brain that controlled politeness.
    3. Blanche had a gay housekeeper in the pilot that Sophia called the "fancy man."
    I had no idea they tried to explain Sophia's personality. Also, they got rid of the gay cook in the pilot because the writers realized a lot of the main characters would be interacting in the kitchen and having a cook constantly in there wold be unnecessary. At least that is according to wiki.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Anyone start ACS: Versace?

I adored ACS: OJ. It was one of the best tv shows I've ever seen. I was underwhelmed by Versace. Part of it is that I don't think Cunanan's actor is very good. Like sometimes I just don't believe his performance, can't immerse myself in it, but sometimes too it's not that he's sucking so much as the choices were odd and I didn't enjoy those choices. I don't think the Versace actor was very good. I don't like Penelope Cruz. I did like the police/FBI and Ricky Martin.

The real life story is very interesting (and I'm glad they didn't go with Katrina because I couldn't watch a national failing of our government right now given our real life circumstances), but the first episode was a swing and a miss for me.

I don't like how it was shot either. It worked for OJ, but I don't know if I'm just kind of over that 90s videotape feeling it evokes or if they're doing something a little different. Or maybe the HD widescreen viewing of 2018 juxtaposed with mid 90s colors and angles doesn't work for me.

Also, I started Alias and I'm half a dozen episodes in and boy do I hate it. HATE IT. Should I give up? Does it get better?

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I watched the first ep, and it was fine. I don’t have high expectations because there is just no way they could match the OJ season. No way, regardless of what story they decided to tell next. I was pleasantly surprised that it was the Versace assassination which holds a bit of a fascination for me. The casting is mostly OK for me too, although I was thrown when Penelope Cruz spoke and she seems to have her regular accent? Which is Spanish, not Italian? I found that distracting. I read a couple of advance reviews which suggested things kick into gear from the end of episode 2 so I’m happy to wait and see if that is indeed the case.

It's my understanding that the creative team behind People vs. OJ Simpson--like, the guys who came up with the framework and ran the show, supervised the scripts, etc.--are not involved with Versace. Which would explain a perceived dip in quality. I personally became much less interested in Versace when I realized the same creative team was not going to be involved.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

these days just seem to crush me
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Grace View Post
    I wasn't that pleased with the first 3 episodes either, but "Hang the DJ" is great and "Black Museum" is one of my fav episodes of all Black Mirror. Metalhead is love or hate, I would probably rank that my third favorite of this season, just because it was a departure from the series. (but it seems most people hate it).

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Well. I keep falling asleep during the new episode of Riverdale. I need to keep wathcing though, Betty Cooper is my favorite TV character in a long while. I love it that where you expect the main characters to be completely dull and boring, Betty has some sort of a crazy twist going on (as do her parents).
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎