Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2190

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

Watched both seasons of Ugly Delicious on Netflix yesterday. Only 12 episodes total, and I really enjoyed all of them. David Chang is the host but he has a TON of guests that get their own segments. The production value is pretty high for a food show, meaning they do bits and have some masterfully edited segues. Each episode has a theme (like steak, tacos, bbq, kids' food, Indian cuisine, etc.) and explorers food and its effect on culture. Highly recommended. Ditto for Chef Show on Netflix if you haven't checked that one out yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    ... I am very much looking forward to Onward being on Disney+ tomorrow.
    What the what now?!?! Today? *checks Disney+* Yussss!!!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I always enjoy the hot true crime train wreck shows but I always resist watching them initially. Like I don't want to be peer pressured or FOMOd into watching them. But eventually I relent and I'm halfway through Tiger King and holy fuck what a mess. I love it. I hate it. Everyone is awful and I've never met anyone like them and yet they are exactly like people I know.

The Leftovers was so good but I cannot touch something like that right now. I heard some people like to watch Contagion and Outbreak or other disease stuff and/or apocalypse shows/movies (The Leftovers is neither but has that tone) as their way of coping but it would stress me out too much. I need escapism. I'm not picking up The Stand maybe ever again. I read Wanderers at the end of last year and I won't be rereading that one. I am very much looking forward to Onward being on Disney+ tomorrow.
    It’s kind of amazing just how much tv/film is apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic I’ve seen on cable tv the last couple weeks. Including a ton of WW2 stuff, Nowhere (Gregg Araki), Melancholia, Donnie Darko, The Walking Dead, Snowpiercer (TNT) Night of The Comet, Deep Impact, Outbreak and Contagion, A Quiet Place, Terminator and Judgement Day, Prometheus, Interstellar, X-Men Apocalypse (basically a good deal of FX).

I know a lot of cable channels are starting to get a good deal of grief. I know Contagion is no longer being shown almost on any network. Many people saying it’s irresponsible to play it.

I rented A Hidden Life and that seemed way too much for the current times. It’s one of Malick’s films that actually was well- received by critics but I couldn’t enjoy it much seeing how it’s a true story about someone’s whole world coming to an end.
    Last edited by Volta; 04-05-2020 at 01:03 AM.
    I move with the trees in the breeze I know that time is elastic.

Watched the four episode UNORTHODOX miniseries on Netflix yesterday and damn, what an engaging and emotional roller coaster. The lead actress had a supporting role on a similar show about orthodox Jews in Israel, also found on Netflix, called Shtisel. (I tried to get into that one, but it was not for me.)

Anyway, back to UNORTHODOX, the acting by the Berlin cast of college friends is spotty, but everyone on the Satma Hassidic end of the story is excellent. The guy who plays Yanky gives one of the best understated performances I've seen in a long time. But the real star is the lead actress, Shira Haas. Y'all, this girl has no ass. Why? Because she performed her ass off! Seriously, she has the stuff. Future Oscar winner stuff.

I also dove deep into the woman whose memoir this is based on, Deborah Feldman. She has some great interviews out on YouTube and a truly fascinating life that wasn't completely touched on in the mini-series. I've a feeling this show, which I hope continues on with future episodes, is going to be similar to Orange is the New Black in that it will use the memoir as a springboard into other stories and themes that the original memoir touched on but didn't actually occur in real life.

Florence is not your bitch. Steve SFM's Avatar
    The End of the F***king World (S1)

Magnificent.

I'll watch S2....Well, probably not too long after I wake up.
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    That whole Mandalorian stuff was just stupid. They hyped that stuff so much and I already love Star Wars. It was never going to be a tough sale if you catch my meaning. And the title alone is kind of thrilling.

After 5 episodes I really started to get that there just isn't a lot there, there. And by the time the 6th episode was ending I was pretty fearful that it would just be a total flop.

And they made people wait a week at a time to get that nothingness mess???

Last edited by Volta; 04-25-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    I move with the trees in the breeze I know that time is elastic.

The End of the F***king World (S2)

This is the greatest love story of all time.

I'm not a big fan of love stories or romances in general. In part, just because I like other genres better. But also, because the love stories don't really convince me. The stories always seem so neat and smooth. Even problems seem to be solved relatively neatly and smoothly. The love always seems to make sense. In real life, it seems to be different. It seems to be a mess. A glorious mess, a devastating mess, whatever. A mess.

The love story of Alyssa and James is not a mess. It's a clusterfuck. It goes from delirious highs to desolate lows, between two kids whose veneers of abrasive weirdness barely cover huge gulfs of pain and trauma. It's hilarious, terrifying, and devastating, sometimes all at once. That's probably why it seems so pure, and why it made me laugh, cry, and jump so much.

Jessica Barden and Alex Lawther play Alyssa and James. They're fucking iconic. Naomi Ackie, who I first saw as the maid in Lady Macbeth, is Bonnie, a character brought into S2 to fuck shit up. Also astounding. A large supporting cast who play even small roles with depth and creativity. The creative team....

Aw, fuck it. I loved it. Has anyone else seen it?
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden

Into The Night. It was just added to Netflix, and I love it! It’s about a group of passengers on an airplane that are trying to escape a deadly sunrise.

The only minor drawback is that it’s not in English (or Dutch), so I have to look at the screen and read the subs. I can’t be on my phone at the same time lol. Anyway, it’s one of those tv shows that make you go to bed later than you wanted because you’re just hooked. I suppose there’s also an English dub btw, but I’m not into dubs at all.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Atlanta's Missing and Murdered: The Lost Children
    Limited series

An in-depth look at the Atlanta child murders and the arrest of Wayne Williams. The last ep kind of sputters out but the rest is worth watching.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'm rewatching both True Blood and Parks and Rec. True Blood is for some ridiculous nonsense full of hot guys. I can turn my brain off and just relax while I make masks. I had stopped watching Parks and Rec since the 2016 election. I couldn't watch a competent woman in politics. Plus with the Aziz stuff and then the weirdo religion Pratt is in... it lost its charm with all the real world stuff.

But the kid wanted it and I'm really glad we start it because after a long, stressful day, it's a nice bedtime story to watch a couple episodes. It's very soothing.

It's nice having something you and the kid can enjoy together.

This Is Not Okay With Me

Based on a graphic novel by Charles Forsman, who earlier wrote a graphic novel called The End of the Fucking World, which was the basis for something that knocked me on my ass. Same director/developer (Jonathan Entwistle), same music (Blur's Graham Coxon plus great deep cuts from last century), same short episodes (about twenty minutes apiece), same basic premise (damaged teens in a context of genre cinema). Is it as great as TEOTFW? Of course not. But it's still pretty great.

Sometimes TEOTFW seemed like Bonnie and Clyde; this is more Carrie. Sydney, an androgynous but pretty teen girl, is hopelessly in love with her (platonic) friend Dina, who's dating a jock. Stanley, he weird guy next door has a big crush on her, and she kinda likes him too. But she doesn't get along with her mom, and there's a recent family tragedy, and that plus the usual teenage shit makes her really fucking angry sometimes.

And when Syd's angry, it's best not to be around.

I've seen people talking about Sophia Lillis, who turned 18 in February, for a few years. I know why now. In her intelligence and intensity, she reminds me a lot of Ellen Page. OK, a non-Canadian Ellen Page. Wyatt Oleff, who creates a rich and lovable comic character (wait until you see the beginning of Episode Four) with his own lake of pain underneath, is a year and a half younger than Lillis. Kids these days scare the ever-loving fuck out of me. Like Jessica Barden and Alex Lawther in TEOTFW, they're pretty much instantly iconic. (Incidentally, Barden and Lawther are 27 and 24, respectively. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

No, not quite as great as TEOTFW. But it's funny and smart and truthful, and the last seven minutes of the season are insane and magnificent. So yeah, watch this.
    Last edited by Steve SFM; 05-10-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Upload Season One was just simply wonderful. Hands down one of the most refreshing shows I’ve seen in recent years. Terrific concept, excellent characters, funny as hell, heartwarming ( and at times) pulled out some tears. Just watch it.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Hey, Adam, it won't let me answer you in Reputation, so I'll answer you here: the show I was referring to in the Fiona thread was The End of the F***king World.

Dead to Me

Two episodes in to the first season. Holy fucking shit. I'm going into Extreme Bingewatch Mode. See you all again after the other 18 episodes.

But one more thing before I dive back in. I was trying to think of a cute way to say it, but to hell with that. Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini are fucking amazing.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    We're Here

Shangela, Eureka and Bob the Deaf Queen. Should be formulaic, and to some degree it is. The stories of the people they interact with keep getting better and better.

The queens descend on a small town and perform a show, including several people from that town in an attempt to broaden the minds of the small town. That's the formulaic bit. Branson was really disturbing. Farmington, NM was powerful. Getting to know the families and people, the struggles, etc., while not exactly new or unexpected, is generally told well enough to feel a personal connection.

Only 6 episodes, and I'm 4 episodes in. I hope it keeps improving.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Dead to Me

I'm done, and I've let it settle a bit, but it's 2 am. My sleep schedule is fucked up now. But two quick things.

First, I recently rewatched Booksmart. (Loved it even more the second time.) Someone described it as a love story between two women who are not lovers, but ride-or-die besties. I like this theory, and I think it applies here as well. The Saga of Jen and Judy is a love story.

Second, when did Kelly Bundy become a fucking tornado?