Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102
Results 1,516 to 1,527 of 1527

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

I'm watching Seinfeld for the first time. From beginning to end, all 171 episodes, and I've never seen even one. I know, I know, but I was but an infant in 1991, when the show debuted. Of course, I've always been called an infant, so you know.

I'm looking for the reason why the show has been called, "The Show About Nothing." Can someone tell me? I've noticed that there is no continuing plot line, each episode could stand alone. So, it is character driven, my friend who is watching it with me, says it gets funnier and funnier because of the characters. And as of season 2, episode 4 or so, I think that is true. There are no overriding themes, no recurring mishaps like noisy neighbors or loose floorboards. So far anyway. What I did notice at first, was that each character could have been a stand up routine, taken alone. Especially Kramer obv. But each character's viewpoint is exaggerated to the point that it's funny, and then they all interact and...

What happened to the suguaro cactus in Jerry's apartment in season 1? This is major, it's a TREE in his room and then it just disappears. I worry about these things.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum 509 View Post

I'm looking for the reason why the show has been called, "The Show About Nothing." Can someone tell me?

What happened to the suguaro cactus in Jerry's apartment in season 1? This is major, it's a TREE in his room and then it just disappears. I worry about these things.
    It's about nothing because there isn't a "thing." Mary Tyler Moore was about a single, fashionable lady with a successful career. Brady Bunch was a blended family. Roseanne was a loud blue collar family. Seinfeld was just four people and their wacky adventures. No workplace, no stranded on an island, no magic or aliens, no PI.

It doesn't seem like anything NOW, but at the time every show had something, a way you could describe it. The easiest way to describe it is to say it was about nothing. No lessons, no learning, no hugging, no formula (other than often some small weird thing happens in one story that crosses over to another story within the same episode), no standard setting. It wasn't always in the apartment or the diner.

So much time has passed a lot of the hype falls into Seinfeld is Unfunny.

There are certain shows that you can safely assume most people have seen. These shows were considered fantastic when they first aired. Now, however, these shows have a Hype Backlash curse on them. Whenever we watch them, we'll cry, "That is so old" or "That is so overdone".

The sad irony? It wasn't old or overdone when they did it, because they were the first ones to do it. But the things it created were so brilliant and popular, they became woven into the fabric of that show's genre. They ended up being taken for granted, copied and endlessly repeated. Although they often began by saying something new, they in turn became the status quo.
    So subsequent shows (Friends, Ellen, etc) are about nothing but groups of friends, but Seinfeld was first and unusual.

I don't know what happened to the cactus. The show premiered like dead last and was almost canceled so I'm guessing they got rid of some of their sets at some point with cancellation looming, or classed it up when they were picked up. The couch changes early on too, and some other aspects of the apartment. One nice thing is that his computer changes as Apple came out with newer models. That was intentional. The kitchen contents also change, move around intentionally, as normal kitchens do over time. Jerry and his cereal, man.

If you end up really liking it, please watch Curb Your Enthusiasm when it's done. Larry David was co-ex producer, I believe the credit is, on Seinfeld for 5-6 years, playing a few characters. It's similar and different and most people who liked Seinfeld like Curb... which is coming back for more new ones soon. There are lots of Seinfeld jokes and a few cameos and guest spots and one large storyline about Seinfeld, which is one of the funniest things I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Next to last episode of Sense8. I feel like if you just tuned into episode 10 from the Christmas/New Years special event.. you haven't missed anything. SO disappointed.. but it's still really well filmed. I love the cinematography.
    This, exactly. The Christmas episode was like a reminder of the first season; the only episodes where something happens are the first one (actually it's episode 2, right?) and the last one. Everything in the middle was just nothing.

I want to care about the new season of Sense8 because I like the idea and the mythology, but the show's tendency in Season 1 to focus on the characters' interpersonal dramas rather than the overarching story bored me, and I hear Season 2 is more of the same.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Id love them to have a featurette on how long it takes them to film this show considering how many characters have to be moved all over. I mean, they can't have all 8 in one place at the same time can they? That would take half a year or more with the effects, wouldn't it?
    But will you find me if Neil makes me a tree? - Tori.
    Heck yea I will, grrrl. You go be that tree, henny!

I guess they actually have the eight actors in the same place at the same time. I know that for the scene in the São Paulo pride the eight actors were there (and the scene were they were all together lasted, what, one minute?).

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

If you end up really liking it, please watch Curb Your Enthusiasm when it's done. Larry David was co-ex producer, I believe the credit is, on Seinfeld for 5-6 years, playing a few characters. It's similar and different and most people who liked Seinfeld like Curb... which is coming back for more new ones soon. There are lots of Seinfeld jokes and a few cameos and guest spots and one large storyline about Seinfeld, which is one of the funniest things I've seen.

Holy Crap. I never expected such a detailed and eplicit answer. I know that Seinfeld was an important, cultural event, and that I missed the whole thing. And, it is, in fact, funny.

I have, in fact, watched several episodes ot Curb Your Ethusiasm, and it is the funniest thing on TV IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    Happy Valley on Netflix. So good! Already watched the first season and now I'm in the middle of the second.
    This was the best show I've seen in years. It's like the love child that sprang from the union of Prime Suspect and Coronation Street. Edgy, dark, and funny. Catherine Cawood is my spirit animal these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    This was the best show I've seen in years. It's like the love child that sprang from the union of Prime Suspect and Coronation Street. Edgy, dark, and funny. Catherine Cawood is my spirit animal these days.
    It's so good!

And the guy from Granchester being the bad made me shudder, too. (Not seen second series yet, off to see if it's on Netflix.)

YES IT IS HOORAY

I thought Creepy Moaning Myrtle was even more terrifying than he was.

I loved Happy Valley, and can also recommend "Marcella". I think it's on Netflix as well. It's also british, crime noir.