Page 109 of 112 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1670

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I'm watching Atypical on Netflix. I really like it. I really like the kid from United States of Tara, and also the guy who raped Julie on Felicity is in it (/Phoebe's cop boyfriend from Friends), and of course the girl from Single White Female

I have been loving this show! As parents of a child on the spectrum, my husband and I greatly appreciate it. I must say Jennifer Jason Leigh is my least favorite thing about the show. I can't tell if it's the acting, the writing, or the fact that I am a mom of an ASD kid. I really think it's a combo of the three with her presence just not meshing with the roll.

My husband and I concur that some of it is slightly awkward as it seems to explain what it's like to be on the spectrum. BUT, I get that this is needed unless you live it. Maybe the show will help people understand my day to day struggles.

My husband was a little annoyed with the therapist's interaction with Sam.

Episode 4

The 5th - and unfortunately last - season of Orphan Black is on Netflix

"Ain't no mountain high enough..." - "Sing it, Donny!"

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    So if you're looking for the big netflix thing of the moment: Ozark

Breaking Bad meets Fargo meets Narco's.
    Yes! Loving it. I'll never look at Bateman the same way again!

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I have been loving this show! As parents of a child on the spectrum, my husband and I greatly appreciate it. (...) Maybe the show will help people understand my day to day struggles.
    That's so nice to hear. I was talking about this show with one of my best friends and how much I loved it (also because it doesn't happen very often in 'pop culture' that a character on the spectrum is the lead, instead of used for comedic effect) and she said a lot of people on the spectrum responded badly to it. Not an accurate depiction, etc.

I think because the spectrum is so diverse, there's no way *everyone* on the spectrum (or living with someone who is on the spectrum) will identify with it. It's kind of how that show Looking was criticized because it didn't "accurately represent LGBT life" whereas, that seems impossible because it's quite diverse.

Joining in on the Atypical praise! Had some elements I disliked (the mother, for one, and I wondered what the hell was wrong with Paige) but really loved most of the characters, even the one that was "haha I'm a sitcom character" with Sam's work friend.

I think because the spectrum is so diverse, there's no way *everyone* on the spectrum (or living with someone who is on the spectrum) will identify with it. It's kind of how that show Looking was criticized because it didn't "accurately represent LGBT life" whereas, that seems impossible because it's quite diverse.
    Most of the complaints I've read deal with exactly that! It's doesn't represent THEIR experience. The saying is "If you know one person on the spectrum, you know ONE person on the spectrum."

My 13 year old daughter has many things in common with Sam but is also very different. She also has a language processing disorder. She cannot express herself well not only because of the autism but because her brain struggles organically with parsing meaning from sounds. I could go on and on about the differences. She's only ONE person on the spectrum.
    Last edited by entropy; 08-18-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    Joining in on the Atypical praise! Had some elements I disliked (the mother, for one, and I wondered what the hell was wrong with Paige) but really loved most of the characters, even the one that was "haha I'm a sitcom character" with Sam's work friend.
    I'm glad I am not the only one with the mother. It's not even that she's the mother so she might be a saint figure. I really just think the writing and JJL suck!

Hmmm... I didn't mind the mother so much. I think she thinks of herself as one of those "I don't know how she does it" moms, whose own life has sort of taken a back seat so she can take care of this family. She may not like the fact that she's had to sacrifice and give up a lot of her own life and identity for that, but she also takes pride in it and maybe sees it as her purpose? And now that Sam is slowly becoming more independent and also sometimes goes to his father for advice (which he never used to do) she might feel a bit 'left out'.

It reminds me a bit, sorta kinda, of how my dad was the primary caretaker of my mom who battled cancer. He wasn't always happy with the role (would very happily volunteer to drive me home, to 'get out of the house for a bit'). But when she died he didn't know what to do with himself because he wasn't 'needed' as intensively as before. There wasn't a whole other human being that strongly depended on him anymore and he had to figure out how to deal with that.

Oh, I get it. I live it! I am the primary caretaker of my kid. I talk to my friends and coworkers about my life and they say these crappy yet well meaning things to me. My husband and I have found a middle ground on most things. He gets his vacation time. I get mine. But we've both learned to shut our mouths when people start talking about their children because we realize we don't get that! We can't leave our kid alone at home. She doesn't have friends over; she has no friends. There are no team sports. She can only minimally clean up behind herself. Our family life is not typical. We rarely do things together the three of us. We tag team parent instead.

I just think her acting is terrible. I empathize with the character, but I think the actress is terrible and doesn't convince me. I guess I have never really been a fan of Jennifer Jason Leigh!

Edit: I think it really boils down to me just not liking Jennifer Jason Leigh.
    Last edited by entropy; 08-18-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Whenever she raises her voice I just picture her with a short red hairdo screaming "DON'T MAKE ME COME GET YOU!" from when she was in Single White Female

I don't even know how parents do it - period. One of my (slightly older) friends is a single parent to twins. It's terrible. One of them has anxiety and is very specific on the routes that are taken to get from A to B in the city. The other one is potentially transgender but also maybe not. And then they're also just kids and there's sibling rivalry and not being able to do proper risk assessment and stuff like that. Whenever I spend the afternoon with them I'm exhausted. And she lives with that 24/7. So much respect for her. Or anyone who's a parent and doesn't phone it in, for that matter.

Whenever she raises her voice I just picture her with a short red hairdo screaming "DON'T MAKE ME COME GET YOU!" from when she was in Single White Female
    Haha! maybe that's why she creeps me out! There is something about her face. I just want to put my fist in it!

Being a parent of a child with an invisible disability sucks sometimes. But I absolutely adore my daughter. In many ways, she's my hero.

What I have found most interesting about the show is any scene Casey is in. We decided not to have a second child. First child was adopted and at 37 all my hormone issues were solved. I thought about trying to get pregnant. I thought it wouldn't be fair to the potential child. And if I am being honest, what if they had even more encompassing disabilities.

My sister has a son and a daughter. My nephew has several issues. I always wonder about what life is really like (internally) for my niece. She's 11. It will all come together soon!
    Last edited by entropy; 08-18-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Midnight Texas.

I binge-watched Marvel's Defenders on Netflix. Despite some strong moments, it was a huge letdown, most notably the blatant misuse of Sigourney Weaver. When you get SIGOURNEY MOTHERFUCKING WEAVER on your show, you write her some good scenes and a juicy story arc, not whatever that was...

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    I binge-watched Marvel's Defenders on Netflix. Despite some strong moments, it was a huge letdown, most notably the blatant misuse of Sigourney Weaver. When you get SIGOURNEY MOTHERFUCKING WEAVER on your show, you write her some good scenes and a juicy story arc, not whatever that was...
    It sucks so hard. SO HARD.

Every single one of these shows/seasons that have come out since Jessica Jones has made me rage. They've been mediocre at BEST and have delayed S2 of JJ. I'm super resentful. Like DD1 was ok (pre-JJ), DD2 was awful, LC was ok on JJ, but his show was a mess. IF had nothing good about it but cameos.

Grumble grumble.

I agree...it had so much potential but underused so many characters. I thought the reveal of The Hand's history/purpose would have been more interesting...no instead we get what it seems to be an eternity in the lunch room in a police precinct.
    Last edited by Chalk; 08-21-2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: grammar