Page 131 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2054

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

Finally finished Netflix’s Haunting of Hill House. Pretty disappointing. Some thoughts on the finale:

I don’t know. The first eight episodes kept my attention well. They were overwrought also, but still done well. I really don’t like being told to feel something by what I’m watching, and I just felt like they were trying to beat the tears out of me at the end, even though it compromised the narrative they’d been building the entire time. And, at the end of the day, I wanted to be scared, which is a goal the writers seemed to abandon after a certain point.
    Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 10-29-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Started Chilling Adventures of Sabrina last night. Damn, they didn't shy away from just going full Satanic. I like it.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    So is anyone watching The Conners since the exit of Roseanne or have we boycotted the entire enterprise because of how most of the cast reacted to her? I have to admit I watched the first episode to see how they handled her exit. It was actually decent. I haven't watched since.

I watched the first episode as well. It seemed to be really well done and funny. It's just so odd without her in the show, though.

I'm not sure when/if I will watch Sabrina... it looks like rehashed AHS Coven, but with Sabrina, and then anything that is obviously pandering to my exact demographic (hipster gay boi witches) I tend to be wary of.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    Started Chilling Adventures of Sabrina last night. Damn, they didn't shy away from just going full Satanic. I like it.
    Satan is definitely my favorite character.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamstilljamiepoo View Post
    So is anyone watching The Conners since the exit of Roseanne or have we boycotted the entire enterprise because of how most of the cast reacted to her? I have to admit I watched the first episode to see how they handled her exit. It was actually decent. I haven't watched since.
    I didn't watch the resurrection because I hated the final season so much. HATED. The last episode? A spit in my face. Like I had a hard time watching reruns of the good years because I was so mad about the bad years. Roseanne being disgusting ever since made it easy for me to not watch it last year, to give in to my nostalgia.

I was thinking about how awesome 80s and 90s Roseanne Connor was the other day. She's not looked at like a feminist hero that often, but she was. Not Roseanne the actor, but the character. She stood up for others, she took no shit, she did the best she could.

Murphy Brown, who was another feminist hero for me, was given a lot more praise, but Roseanne Connor was just cool in a different way. And, unfortunately, the MB resurrection isn't going that well. It's not terrible, but it's missing something. Not just Jim or Phil or Eldin (and watching the old series, oh boy like every guest star they ever had is dead now except like New fucking Gingrich). But ... something. It feels like it's referencing controversies instead of taking them down like 80s Murphy would do.

I have to say also in general that watching shows has become super hard. My cable provider's app won't let you watch stuff on it. You have to go to individual apps or websites and use your cable log in. I don't have a dvr or an On Demand box. I don't want to try to find blank tapes for the VCR . So I usually will watch stuff I miss on whichevernetwork.com the next day but nothing but NBC works for me any more. Turns out that since I mostly watch in Edge (my FF settings make watching stuff really hard sometimes) and Edge recently blocked third party tracking cookies, I can't watch my shows. I mean, I watch them, but I'd prefer to watch them in a legit way.

Why does ABC or CBS needs me to have THIRD PARTY TRACKING COOKIES just to watch stuff that technically is also free over the air? Ads, sure. I even turn off my add blocker. But that shit's just stupid and I don't want to have to spend an hour scrubbing my computer down to watch a disappointing episode of Modern Family once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Elite - the writing on this one is really quite good, highly enjoyable
    Finally finished it! I loved the ending.

I highly recommend the first season of Mar de Plastico. I love that there are so many options on Netflix for series and movies in Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I'm not sure when/if I will watch Sabrina... it looks like rehashed AHS Coven, but with Sabrina, and then anything that is obviously pandering to my exact demographic (hipster gay boi witches) I tend to be wary of.

I couldn't get through the first episode. I thought the acting was poor, the lines were forced, and generally the show was just overly self-aware but not in a good way.

A quick glimpse of reviews makes me feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I cannot seem to find any negative reviews.
    Last edited by entropy; 11-10-2018 at 11:06 PM.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    No, I agree that it's not very well written.
    I love most of the cast, some of them are just perfect and interesting, but the plot is weak, the themes often preachy, the cult incoherent, the acting mostly poor but the writing is even poorer. Too bad, because it has some moments which are really daring, imho (juxtaposing teenage drama and throat slitting rituals is not a common thing). And Salem is just cute.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Ah, Sabrina. We're about 4 episodes in. There are so many things wrong with it (dialogue, some of the actors, the annoying soft focus camera trick, characters with inconsistent or unclear motivation) and yet, and yet... It IS fun, and kinda crazy how dark it gets and then easily jumps to saccharine high school drama the next second. It's just very very camp at times and that does keep me hooked in, for now.
    post28!

I really enjoyed Sabrina. I'd even go so far as to say that I liked it more than The Haunting of Hill House.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Anyway, this is the best thing about the show (besides Ambrose): https://www.cbr.com/church-satan-net...ina-statement/
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Okay the new She-Ra on Netflix is so good. The main personal conflict is such a clever way into both worlds. The two episode premiere had me scream “yessss” at least three times. And I can only see the show getting better with time. I loved Noelle Stevenson from Nimona and she definitely brought the same magic to She-Ra so far.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    The Bodyguard on Netflix.
    I don't know how old or new this show is. It was trending at the top and it said I had a 98% match.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this show. Only on episode 3 and I already don't want it to end. If anyone gets in between the Home Secretary and David Budd it will just destroy me.

BTW. Everything about David Budd is perfection. The acting, the actor, his just so right wavy hair that is never ever out of place even covered in blood, and that voice... and that body. ahhhh. This is where the 50 Shades fans/crowd should be ushered to, honestly.
    spoiler ahead
    spoiler ahead
    Right now, David is doing a lot to jeopardize his placement. But I hope it works out and he stays the bodyguard. Guard that body, David. Guard it!
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.