Page 47 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I thought The White Queen looked a bit terrible from the promos so I didn't bother.

What I did start at the weekend was Top Of The Lake (Jane Campion), starring Elisabeth Moss doing a New Zealander-having-gone-to-Australia accent as a policewoman investigating the disappearance of a pregnant 12-year-old girl. First episode was on BBC2 on Saturday; liked it (the New Zealand scenery is gorgeous, of course) but I kept reading about a Twin Peaks vibe which I didn't really get. I'll keep watching.

I really enjoyed Top of the Lake well worth a watch, Peter Mullan as the Dad is great

The Returned powered through the Season 1 and cant wait for Season 2, Victor is SO creepy

Foo
    xx

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Top of the Lake was a funny creature. At first, I was so distracted by her accent I kinda did a double take everytime she spoke! But I found myself invested in the story and overall enjoyed it. The middle section (eps 3 and 4) was a little slow for my liking, but it came together well at the end and I thought the payoff was worth it.

I've only seen a few Twin Peaks episodes and I recall people putting Top of the Lake in the same space, but I really don't see much of a connection other than having a mystery element to it.

I agree with Foo - Peter Mullan is great and I also enjoyed David Wenham.

^Top of the Lake is one of the best series I've seen in a long time! There seems to be a very mixed consensus about it, but I really liked the general theme of women's issues/violence against women being brought to the forefront in a very patriarchal, androcentric setting. Also, I think Holly Hunter's performance as GJ is one of her best!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I hated Top of the Lake, and I thought I'd love it. I couldn't even finish it.

I started watching Ray Donovan, but that sucked and I gave up after 2 eps. Under The Dome blows too.

I've hated just about everything new I've watched lately but Orphan Black (crossing my fingers for some OB/Jaime from GOT Emmy love tomorrow)

[ validated ]
    Quote Originally Posted by c33 View Post
    I'm watching Pretty Little Liars.
    And then I stopped shortly after I realized it was a terrible show that goes nowhere.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ It's an awesome show that meanders along letting beautiful people wear nice clothes and be bitchy to each other and suspicious of everyone while living their privileged little lives. I'm in lust with most of the male cast. It's my Gossip Girl replacement (but alas, just not as witty or as funny in any shape or form.)

[ validated ]
    I fell asleep watching a documentary on Netflix the other night. I must have rolled over on the control or something because I woke up to Pretty Little Liars streaming. And I was like, oh look, they're still trying to figure out who "A" is.

ABC Family always cancels their good shows and keeps the shitty ones on forever.
    Last edited by C33; 07-26-2013 at 05:58 PM.

I'm currently doing a whole series re-watch of one of my favourite shows when I was younger, The X-Files. Currently up to S03E01.

SO GOOD.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    So the White Queen had its advance preview tonight. It premiers officially tomorrow night on STARZ.
    I only have Starz right now because Time Warner and Showtime are having their own War of the Roses. Which is great because Time Warner is letting us have the encore/starz package in its place until the dispute over money is settled.
    I will say this... the movies on the encore/starz package are much much much more my speed.

I am very disappointed with the first episode of The White Queen. That meeting isn't even how it went down in the book if I remember. That was the best part of the book really. Elizabeth Woodville is standing alone by a single tree, the only tree in that field. Her beauty is acknowledged by everyone (it's kind of a spell that was cast) and the king falls in love right away. (Jacquetta "Lady of the Rivers" magic)
    Yes, it is kind of cheesy... but visually I would think the creators of the show would make it something extremely nice to watch. The actress standing there with wind flowing through her hair with a very glossy film stock.

What I will say is that I got all kinds of excited about "The Tudors" and the first season of that show left me wanting more... but the series got better, got glossier, got really gritty as the seasons went by, I think.. and since I love Philippa Gregory's "Cousin's War"/"War of the Roses" series of books.. I will not give up on the show just yet.

I haven't read the White Princess, yet. But I am too busy with things to start. And every book in the series.. I can't put them down.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

this tornado loves you UnderTheFunk's Avatar
    We watched The White Queen too, and I liked almost everything about it.

It's interesting to read a review from someone who's read the book. I haven't, so I don't have Much ground to stand on critically. I thought they did a good job imparting a sort of magical quality to the story & setting. I felt it benefited from being watched in HD, since the scenery was so lush.

I burned out on The Tudors about 3 episodes in. Eager to see how this plays out.

not sure if this belongs here, but it's "based on a tv series" news: after seeing the Veronica Mars trailer on youtube, I'm not sure if i'm going to like it, there's something off about it. I just can't put my finger on it (but I know I'm going to end up watching it anyways)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTqIpXh0IAI
    I have to watch the show again, but didn't the blond girl she punches die in that bus accident in season 2 ?! (and also I'm one of those weird people who don't really consider those characters from the third season (you know who I'm talking about) part of the "main cast")

tv shows I've been watching while my favorite current show (aka Revenge) is on hiatus:

Merlin - never seen it before when it aired so I watched all five seasons in a row (twice even!). The scenes between Colin Morgan (Merlin) and Richard Wilson (Gaius) are hilarious.

Maude - at first I thought why is she screaming all the time, is that supposed to be the show's humor - Bea Arthur is tall and has a loud voice? (God will get me for that!) but after a while it turns out to be a great show, sometimes even still relevant today. And I love that they have quite a few singing numbers (I guess as a reference to Bea Arthur's broadway past - the episode with the telethon where they have to come up with a disease it's supposed to be for while it's airing, is one of my favorites)

Friends - I've recently started with the first season again and currently am a few episodes in. still one of the best TV shows ever

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I've finally gotten around to watching The Killing. but I started watching the US version before I realised the original version is on Netflix. Damnit. But I'm just finished season 1 now and I'm utterly hooked.

I'm also really looking forward to season 9 of Supernatural coming back, as damnit, I fucking love that show and I'm rather invested in the main characters at this stage. The sneak peek probably makes no sense to anyone watching it who doesn't know the show, but essentially they're bringing back a load of fan favourite characters (good and evil) and the end of last season basically completely changed the game.

I'm also still watching Pretty Little Liars, but I've caught up now to the point that I've to wait for new episodes like a regular tv watcher. Which is less fun.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I'm also really looking forward to season 9 of Supernatural coming back, as damnit, I fucking love that show and I'm rather invested in the main characters at this stage. The sneak peek probably makes no sense to anyone watching it who doesn't know the show, but essentially they're bringing back a load of fan favourite characters (good and evil) and the end of last season basically completely changed the game.
    We need a Supernatural thread. Guess I'll make one here

Peaky Blinders - just caught the first episode and am hooked so far. Love the historical backdrop and the cast is pretty amazing. Sort of Boardwalk Empire, the UK edition.