Page 61 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

I just started Enlightened, and proceeded to binge watch about six episodes last night. SO GOOD.

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    I love that show so much. I think I'll watch it again.

Enlightened is fucking fantastic. I binged on the whole thing earlier this year in the space of a few weeks. I feel like it's weirdly underrated, even though it's well-known and got a lot of critical acclaim.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

The season 2 episode focusing on Mike White's character is amazing. What a great show.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    The season 2 episode focusing on Mike White's character is amazing. What a great show.
    No other episode of tv has effected me like that one. It's astounding. The opening and closing monologues from that episode are probably my favourite thing that ever happened on tv. I often turn to them like I would a song, the emotional punch is so strong.

Kari - there is one particular thing in that episode (I think it's episode 5 in S2) that is going to KILL you.

So, I had started Farscape because sci-fi adventuring is my bread and butter and I've watched all the other great shows of a similar type (BSG, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, FIREFLY, random Trek, etc.) I really enjoyed the worldbuilding and the characters, but I lost steam halfway through season 1 for a couple of reasons:

1) The episodes are very dense, which doesn't make them very bingeable. Each has a LOT going on in both plot and characterization, so by the time you're done with one, you kind of want a break rather than rushing to see what happens next.
    2) Many of the episodes seemed to be stand-alones that contributed to the overall narrative context but little, which isn't my favorite kind of TV plotting.

However, I picked it back up this weekend and got re-interested in the characters. I also found a handy "watch it/skip it" guide written by a fan which labels the episodes according to how important they are to the overall plot and mythology, which is what I needed. I don't mind plowing through a show's growing pains if I know it kicks into high gear at some point (here's looking at you, Babylon 5), and apparently, Farscape goes full throttle near the end of S1 and doesn't let up after that.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

looking for a little hope just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post
    No other episode of tv has effected me like that one. It's astounding. The opening and closing monologues from that episode are probably my favourite thing that ever happened on tv. I often turn to them like I would a song, the emotional punch is so strong.

Kari - there is one particular thing in that episode (I think it's episode 5 in S2) that is going to KILL you.
    Oh god yes. That episode kills me.

Enlightened is just fantastic, and I can't believe HBO gave up on it so easily. Thought it disturbs me how much I can relate to Laura Dern's character, especially sometimes her relationship with her mother. That whole show is a gut punch.

I can't wait to watch the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    So, I had started Farscape because sci-fi adventuring is my bread and butter and I've watched all the other great shows of a similar type (BSG, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, FIREFLY, random Trek, etc.) I really enjoyed the worldbuilding and the characters, but I lost steam halfway through season 1 for a couple of reasons:

1) The episodes are very dense, which doesn't make them very bingeable. Each has a LOT going on in both plot and characterization, so by the time you're done with one, you kind of want a break rather than rushing to see what happens next.
    2) Many of the episodes seemed to be stand-alones that contributed to the overall narrative context but little, which isn't my favorite kind of TV plotting.

However, I picked it back up this weekend and got re-interested in the characters. I also found a handy "watch it/skip it" guide written by a fan which labels the episodes according to how important they are to the overall plot and mythology, which is what I needed. I don't mind plowing through a show's growing pains if I know it kicks into high gear at some point (here's looking at you, Babylon 5), and apparently, Farscape goes full throttle near the end of S1 and doesn't let up after that.

For some reason, Farscape made me feel angsty back in the day. I always felt like bouncing off the walls when an episode was on.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Since the Every Simpsons Ever marathon earlier this year, I've been watching the show a lot more on the FXX blocks. So many episodes I haven't seen or haven't seen in literally decades.

Today is a special day. It aired for the first time 25 years ago. TWENTY-FIVE. Do you know how old this makes me feel? There are entire people younger than this show.

26 seasons, 561 episodes, one movie, and still going.

17 Facts About the First Episode of 'The Simpsons'

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    ^We've been DVRing chunks of shows and watching till they're gone before recording more. I love introducing my kids to the show. I was actually surprised by how many episodes I'd never seen. Huge swaths of the early '00s went unwatched. Then there are favorites such as "Das Bus" that I've seen at least a dozen times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_P View Post
    I just started watching "Black Mirror" because it's finally on Netflix US and it is INCREDIBLE. I've only seen the first 3 episodes and the 3rd one, "The Entire History of You," was the standout. I'm going to be thinking of that episode for a while. The whole series can be so bleak, thoughtful, intimate, and eye-opening. Watch it!
    The second episode of the second season which is called White Bear is mind blowing and a 50 minute dystopian masterpiece.
    the draught was the very worst

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    ^ There was a new Black Mirror called White Christmas shown in the UK last night! I thought it was excellent as did the critics and twitter. Look out for it!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Who's having an ugly cry watching the last episode of Colbert?

that'd be me

At least no one can see my puffy, red eyes and boogers.

It is weird to think that the Colbert Report won't exist anymore. The Daily Show and the Colbert Report can be credited with creating a new hybrid of news and comedy and just when we needed it most. From Gore vs. Bush to the shit show that 2014 has been, those shows were cathartic and also covered certain issues that don't get covered in regular news outlets. Just Colbert's series on Super PACs, in all their skeevy glory, was an invaluable educational resource for most of us.

I'll miss losing half of the best hour of political satire, since Mark Twain and Will Rogers.