Page 87 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1805

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    ^Yes to all this. Mr. Garrison as a stand-in for Trump is so right. The debate was comedy gold and so depressing at the same time, which South Park is great for.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I've been looking forward to Luke Cage for a while and I'm a couple episodes in and not feeling it. It's visually darker than the other related Netflix show, so I can't see half the time. It's like watching the X Files. It's really slow, but not a compelling slow burn for me. The acting is ok and there are some excellent framing shots and clearly some symbolism and foreshadowing going on that I don't quite understand yet, but there are some things that are so predictable that I almost want to blurt them out here because how could they possibly be spoilers if you have any familiarity with American media? It's just working for me as a whole. I hope it comes together in the end.

The Good Place (with Ted Danson and Kristen Bell) - I've only just seen the first 3 episodes, really funny so far!

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    The Good Place (with Ted Danson and Kristen Bell) - I've only just seen the first 3 episodes, really funny so far!
    I'm head over heels with this show - it makes total sense that it's from the same team of people as the US Office and Parks & Rec, which was my last favourite comedy.

The Exorcist is so well executed. I don't think it is getting the attention it deserves. Much better than AHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Neutral View Post
    I'm head over heels with this show - it makes total sense that it's from the same team of people as the US Office and Parks & Rec, which was my last favourite comedy.
    Thanks Alpha Neutral and yoshi for the tip, will check it out! It sounds interesting.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I watched the first two eps of Versailles on Ovation Saturday. The show covers the reign of Louis IVX from the time his mother dies and he actually begins to rule. Love it so far. The cinematography and costuming are gorgeous, and I really enjoy all the political intrigue.

I'm also really enjoying Better Things on FX. The comedy is really honest.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Anyone watching the new series on NBC, "This is Us?"
    It's being compared to Parenthood (Parenthood lovers, I know you're out there), but I don't know if it is AS good. Yet. I was drawn in by the end of the pilot. It's really quite good, but a bit cheesy at times.

^I've been watching. It's held my interest so far, but I have a feeling it might not for much longer. I hope I'm wrong!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    "Rull" - ha! I reserve the right to use that, Kari

Quote Originally Posted by iamstilljamiepoo View Post
    Anyone watching the new series on NBC, "This is Us?"
    It's being compared to Parenthood (Parenthood lovers, I know you're out there), but I don't know if it is AS good. Yet. I was drawn in by the end of the pilot. It's really quite good, but a bit cheesy at times.
    I like it, I mean, it gave us Milo Ventimiglia's bare ass so it deserves our support. But I think it's reallllyyyyy sllllooowwwwww and very subdued. I'm not expecting a car chase or anything, but jesus guys, pick it up just a little bit.

I'm still watching Empire for some reason? Most of the time, 10 minutes into an episode I ask myself why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm still watching Empire for some reason? Most of the time, 10 minutes into an episode I ask myself why.
    My boyfriend is still watching it. Every now and then I dip in for part of an episode and I'm like, "wtf is actually happening right now?"

EDIT: the reasons any of us are still watching are a) the ferocity of Taraji P. Henson and b) the hotness of Jussie Smollet.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

^ I think those are the only two reasons I watch it, too. Jussie Smollet is so beautiful. The guys that play his brothers aren't too shabby either, especially with their shirts off. But that's not enough to float a show for me.

Every episode follows the same formula and it's so ridiculous:

- Lucious Lyon does something insane (kills someone, has someone killed, destroys someone's life, puts his mother in a home and pretends she's dead for 30 years, etc.).
    - His family finds out and write him off, while he claims it was all for them and they're ungrateful.
    - Half the episode focuses on how his family plans to forge some new path without him, and usually shows Lucious plotting to destroy them if they somehow overshadow him.
    - An outside force threatens someone in the family.
    - The family suddenly forgets they're all pissed at each other and come together to defeat said outside force, and yay they're all family again.

I love how Lucious has threatened to kill basically all his kids, has killed several of their friends/lovers, says wildly homophobic shit to the gay son and wildly offensive stuff about mental illness to his bipolar son, and yet the next scene shows them all hugging and joking and everything's great. It's written like a soap opera. I'm sitting on the couch watching it like, "WHAT? He JUST tried to have you murdered! Why are you hugging him?!"

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I second the love for "The Exorcist." I was not expecting it to be decent. Movies rarely make good TV shows IMO. This is something totally different, though. It's edgy, it's disturbing, and it has moments that really spooked me.

The toilet scene (and that's all I'll say) was more disturbing to me than anything on the last 3 seasons of AHS. I definitely recommend it.