Page 87 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1554

Thread: What are you watching - the TV edition

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    I fucking LOVE Outlander! It really does get better! It really gets going in the second half of season one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    ITS SO GOOD STICK WITH IT!!
    YES!

I actually liked it from the start. There was one episode that was too "chick-flick" for my taste but boy does it get dark and twisted later on...
    Also:

FAP
    post28!

I thought a lot of it was pretty "chick flick" tbh. There's also something kind of corny and soap opera like about her narration style. However, I really started getting interested at the end of season two when they explored the time traveling aspect more. I was curious to see how that would all tie back to the present, and now what will happen if she goes back. So even though it wasn't as well written as say, Game of Thrones, I'm on board now.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Pretty much all month a bunch of networks including A&E (tonight), Lifetime, Discovery Channel, and even Doctor Phil's season premiere are doing their own Jonbenet Ramsey shows to mark the 20 years since the murder/case.
    My mom and her sisters are obsessed with the case and probably will be on the phone tonight or tomorrow talking about it.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I thought a lot of it was pretty "chick flick" tbh. There's also something kind of corny and soap opera like about her narration style. However, I really started getting interested at the end of season two when they explored the time traveling aspect more. I was curious to see how that would all tie back to the present, and now what will happen if she goes back. So even though it wasn't as well written as say, Game of Thrones, I'm on board now.
    IDK, I have never seen it as chick flick when its so imbued with adventure, history, politics, etc. Then again, I also find it refreshing to watch a romance/sex that's not made strictly for dudes. But oh well. Game of Thrones is a show that has a kick ass budget and its technically so impressive, but the story of Outlander is far more compelling for me. I read a lot of the books and actually have been giving them a re-read. Shit gets crazy in book 3 for sure, which is the next season.

I agree about the narration at times but I also don't see how they could do it without it. There's a LOT OF STORY.

I think my biggest complaint with the narration is maybe just her as an actress. I dunno, there's something very twee about the way she reads it. Like I should be watching it on Hallmark Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think my biggest complaint with the narration is maybe just her as an actress. I dunno, there's something very twee about the way she reads it. Like I should be watching it on Hallmark Channel.
    I think my problem with Catriona Balfe as an actress in general is that she's not actually English, so sometimes her accent gets too...prim. She's actually Irish. Sometimes it gets bogged down.

I totally understand why the chick-flick-y feel can be a turn-off for some. Catriona can be a little hit and miss, both in acting and in motivation, she oddly suffers sometimes from that poor damsel in distress / poor judgement syndrome. But the chemistry she has with Sam Heughan is what brings the show alive.

And I love love love the attention to little historic details. I'm a sucker for anything oldy worldy scottish / gaelic and having wandered a few of the locations IRL myself, it just clicked with me. I didn't even know it would take such a turn for the darker later in the season.

ETA: my only real complaint is that they keep showing us the wrong freaking penis (#shallow)
    post28!

Caitriona and Sam are

I also think Tobias Menzies is OUTSTANDING on the show.

I kinda find it insulting to call it "chick flick" just because it has a large romance element and a female protagonist. It balances that with plenty of blood and guts, adventure and some really dark stuff. For instance, how often do you see sexual violence against a male character portrayed with that kind of seriousness, and not played for laughs or grossed-outness? I also think that it inverts a lot of stereotypes quite successfully; while Jamie is the big, strong warrior, it's Claire that's really the stronger one of the two in a lot of ways. She's the clever outsider navigating a foreign place while seducing the pretty boy - all hallmarks of a typical "adventurer hero" character.

Claire is a bad ass, but she's also a mess, which is what makes her so compelling IMO. She makes a ton of mistakes and her big mouth gets her in trouble, but when it comes down to it she's a warrior.

(I agree with you on the chick flick thing, I have grown to loathe that term and I find its often used to be reductive. I don't think that's what Ryan and Wout are doing obviously, but the implications make me bristle.)

When I say chick flick, I mean that genre of show or movie that you often find on Lifetime or Hallmark, usually centered around some fairytale romance and that's too saccharine and love-story-by-numbers. I know the show has plenty of other elements at play, but sometimes it does veer into that territory. It certainly got better as it got closer to the end of season 2. But maybe I'm just over every show, movie, or book needing a heteronormative love story at its core.

if anyone has read the books (i have) it's very fantasy chick flick. I see what Ryan means.

I should know, I read that stuff aahahah

Like Kari said, the term doesn't sit right with me. I dislike the way we divide fiction along those lines. Outlander is clearly a romantic story at it's core, but it's hardly a Hallmark-type Nora Robers-movie.

I'm also tired of all of the heteronormative love stories in fiction, but I can enjoy a good one when I come across it. I've only seen season 1 (it's all that's on Netflix here) but I read that LGBT-characters are going to show up further on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    (I agree with you on the chick flick thing, I have grown to loathe that term and I find its often used to be reductive. I don't think that's what Ryan and Wout are doing obviously, but the implications make me bristle.)
    Yeah, I used the term more as a genre, not to be insulting or degrading. As much as I would call any fast/furious movie a testosterone film (cars/guns/fire/explosions/amurkafuckyeah).

And I don't think the show is all or just Chick-flick, certainly not just because of romantic elements and a female protagonist.
    But to me it sure does have elements that fall into that genre, especially in the first few episodes (the wedding episode for instance, which I found terribly dull and out of tune with the rest. Or the whole betrayal bit with that wench that had an eye on Jamie).
    Anyhoo, didn't mean to offend!
    post28!

Oh god, the wedding episode was AMAZING. I never ever ever ever get turned on by TV sex, but jesus, those two...they kill me. There were moments I couldn't even watch because it was so intimate. I can see how it was dull at moments - it was a lot of the two of them getting to know each other (biblically and otherwise).