Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken bones

Question Broken bones

Four weeks ago I fell while running a half marathon. I stepped in a pothole and broke my right wrist (distal radius fracture). I also fractured my left ankle (tip of fibula broke off). I also have severe bony contusions on the outside third of my left foot. I have been laid up for four weeks now. The first two weeks all I did was sleep. Now I am feeling restless and want to do stuff. But I cannot walk much, use crutches or use a knee walker. I had to cancel my graduate summer classes in Salamanca. I was to leave in a few days. Grrr! I was having an excellent race and good time until mile 7.25. Luckily it was just after a water/medic area.

So now, I would like to hear your broken bone stories.

I've been fortunate enough to never have broken a bone!

flayed on the marble stairs
    I'm sorry you got hurt!

I broke my arm when I was younger. I don't even remember which one it was or how old I was. I know I was not older than nine, though. I was with my father at the playground and was playing on a zip-line. Of course, given my age and size, I was only able to ride it while holding the bar with both arms. The "cool" older kids at the playground would ride with only one hand, so naturally I wanted to do the same. The first time I tried, I slipped off midway and landed on the ground with my arm underneath me. It broke.

Me too! (up until the 21st of May)

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    I broke a toe once, on Thanksgiving, in the 8th grade. My toe still looks weird. It leans to the side. It's ugly.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    I broke my collar bone as a child. My mum felt horribly guilty about it. But it set very well and healed and I don't have any problems related to it.

I also broke a thumb in a door as a child, and that didn't set quite as well. It's wonked slightly to the left. And it hurts a little when it rains!
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

They took the gay right out of me. Buelis's Avatar
    Two years ago I was riding my bike through a local park and struck a dog. This dog was not on a leash, not to mention I was on a road shared by motor vehicles. It ran off the walking path and straight into the right side of my bike before I had a chance to react. The owner apologized profusely and started scolding and hitting his dog - I was spooked and just biked away. Unaware of the full extent of my injury, I continued leisurely on my bike ride for another hour! It wasn't until I woke up at 4 AM in extreme pain that it occurred to me I should seek medical attention. But I managed to make it to the 9AM dress rehearsal for the play I was directing at the time! Looking back, I was pretty lucky to come out of it with nothing but a minor break of the right forearm. The cast came off only a week before graduation, to boot!

When I was a kid I broke my collarbone and left wrist. I remember being so disappointed it was the left one since I knew all the kids who broke the hand they write with got out of homework.
    And then a couple years ago I broke the two little toes on my left foot. And the same ones again this spring. I'm awesome like that.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    ^
    Oh, yeah, I broke a toe on Thanksgiving a couple years ago! It hurt like hell for ages. The best thing to come out of it, though, is that I used to get horrible toe and foot cramps in both my feet, and after I broke that toe, I stopped getting them in all the toes on that foot!
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    ^
    Oh, yeah, I broke a toe on Thanksgiving a couple years ago! It hurt like hell for ages. The best thing to come out of it, though, is that I used to get horrible toe and foot cramps in both my feet, and after I broke that toe, I stopped getting them in all the toes on that foot!
    Great, now you have me seriously considering breaking a toe.

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    I broke my right arm in two places as a kid, probably around 11, because I landed the wrong way when my dad tossed me on the couch when we were horsing around. It wasn't two bad of a break, though, so I only needed a sling for about a month. About a year and a half ago I broke my right wrist in two places while walking the dog in a snowstorm. There must have been ice underneath the snow I was walking through because I suddenly slipped and went flying backwards onto my back. It was so quick and in slow motion at the same time. Not wanting to hit my head I threw my right arm out and smash. I knew immediately that I broke it, as the pain was unmistakable and it started swelling so much that it felt like my watch was cutting off circulation. I ended up needing surgery to put a metal plate in because I shattered my radius (I just chipped the ulna- the bone that sticks out on the same side as the pinky finger). I was on pain killers for a while, and had two rounds of physical therapy. The good thing about having surgery was I was only in a cast for two weeks after, although I couldn't do much with my right hand for quite a while, and I'm right handed so that was fun! At least it happened while on break from college, although I had just gotten out of the cast when Spring semester started, so I needed note takers for my classes. It still bothers me sometimes and is definitely not as strong as it used to be.
    I wish you a speedy recovery, entropy!!
    Suck it, Shawn.

It appears that I have fractured my pinky finger on my right hand. After days of it hurting whenever I move it, I looked down today and saw it's curved differently than my left one. This is great.

thanks for all the replies. I am starting to be able to walk with minimal or no support. I have a limp however. I read the CT scan report yesterday for my wrist.
    Comminuted intra-articular fracture of the distal radius with involvement of the scaphoid and lunate facets. Intra-articular extension predominantly involves the volar half of the distal radius with a 2 cm volar lip fracture fragment displaced approximately 2 mm in the volar direction.Subarticular fracture gaps of 3 mm are noted.No definitive evidence of osseous fusion or bridging. No dorsal tilt to the distal radius

Oh no, entropy! That sounds pretty bad, I hope you feel better soon.

I broke my wrist when I was 5. I was standing on a swing and let go, landed elbow first with the weight of my body coming down on my hand/wrist. I immediately went into shock so thankfully I felt nothing. It was very surreal! I walked across the playground and told my bother, "I broke my arm and I need a cast." He wrapped a magazine around my wrist with a rubberband to keep it in place...that was to keep my wrist straight until we got to the hospital.

I made BANK on my cast! People on base were constantly tucking money into my sling when they saw me. Except one guy said my arm was getting hairy and small under the cast and that scared me.

I broke/dislocated my little toe when I was about 10. I had just gotten back from camp, got out of the car and started running from the dog who was happy to see me. I stopped and turned sideways, and he continued running...right over my foot. Apparently his claws slipped in between my toes and when he pushed off, he just pushed my little pinky toe right out of place. I didn't feel any pain, but I looked down and saw my toe pointing in the wrong direction and then I started freaking out.

At the hospital, the doctor asked me what happened and I told him a dog ran over my foot. He asked me if it was a greyhound. Hardy har-har.