Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken bones

Quote Originally Posted by JessiCat View Post
    Oh no, entropy! That sounds pretty bad, I hope you feel better soon.

I broke my wrist when I was 5. I was standing on a swing and let go, landed elbow first with the weight of my body coming down on my hand/wrist. I immediately went into shock so thankfully I felt nothing. It was very surreal! I walked across the playground and told my bother, "I broke my arm and I need a cast." He wrapped a magazine around my wrist with a rubberband to keep it in place...that was to keep my wrist straight until we got to the hospital.

I made BANK on my cast! People on base were constantly tucking money into my sling when they saw me. Except one guy said my arm was getting hairy and small under the cast and that scared me.
    This is an awesome story. I love it. Its so funny how people know its broken. I knew my wrist was broken too. But, it was deformed. I had no inkling that my ankle was also fractured. I thought it was just a sprain.

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amie View Post
    I broke/dislocated my little toe when I was about 10. I had just gotten back from camp, got out of the car and started running from the dog who was happy to see me. I stopped and turned sideways, and he continued running...right over my foot. Apparently his claws slipped in between my toes and when he pushed off, he just pushed my little pinky toe right out of place. I didn't feel any pain, but I looked down and saw my toe pointing in the wrong direction and then I started freaking out.

At the hospital, the doctor asked me what happened and I told him a dog ran over my foot. He asked me if it was a greyhound. Hardy har-har.
    Damn dogs, lol! When I went to my orthopedic doctor after I broke my wrist he asked me how it happened. When I told him I was walking the dog he said, "Yeah, it's always the dog's fault."
    Suck it, Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Its so funny how people know its broken.
    Being that I was in shock, I probably wouldn't have known except for the loud *crack* I heard when I hit the ground! I shudder to think of it know. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by JessiCat View Post
    Being that I was in shock, I probably wouldn't have known except for the loud *crack* I heard when I hit the ground! I shudder to think of it know. Ugh.
    You know how happy I am that I was running with my iPod?! Luckily, I had an ear bud in my right ear. (I take one out during a race). I did not hear it!!!! I am sorry that you had to hear that! Also, I was not being sarcastic in that quote. I am amazed how people sense and know about broken bones even without hearing a thing.
    Last edited by entropy; 06-29-2011 at 01:20 PM.

I fell off the top of a 10 foot slide when I was in 2nd grade. I don't even know how it happened, I was looking backwards at the boy in line below me, and then I was on the ground! Thankfully my friend immediately ran off and got the nearest teacher, who picked me up and made sure I wasn't bleeding before carrying me off to the office. She called my mother and then sat with me to make sure I didn't go into shock and fall asleep. She was very worried that I also had a concussion. I didn't, but I was just happy to have an adult with me... I broke my left arm in two places and had to have a cast and sling on for 2 months. My arm still aches when I get really cold.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Your teacher was lucky she didn't make anything worse. You don't pick up people who have just fallen!
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Yeah, looking back now I see that she could have made things worse... but I'm still thankful that she came and helped. I was terrified and so embarrassed :s She also happened to be a friend of my mom's, so I think she was just as worried and scared as I was!
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

Got my cast off yesterday. I was so excited, but now I want it back. My wrist hurts so bad without it and therapy sucks!

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    ^ I definitely can relate, but know that it does get better. I had to do two rounds of physical therapy, and some days even a year and a half later my wrist still feels a little weak, but it is miles better than what it was. It probably isn't at 100% because I didn't /don't do all of the strengthening exercises as much as I should.
    Suck it, Shawn.

Thanks! I had a ganglion cyst removed from the same wrist 6 months before I broke it. I hadn't got back to 100% yet. This worries me. We'll see how therapy goes.

Are you allowed to maybe brace it with Ace bandages while you get your strength back?

I've had two break incidents. One was a growth plate (and a decade later we discovered another toe in the same foot was broken at the same time and healed weird) when I was six after a very heavy concrete bench fell over onto my foot. I wish people tucked cash into my cast! I did make candy bank at Halloween though. I was a Popple, but everyone thought I was a skiier with a broken leg and gave me extra candy for making my rounds on real crutches. (We explained, and then even MORE candy was thrown my way)

The other was when I buckled all of my wrist bones together when I was nine. I was standing on rollerskates kind of bouncing back and forth from toes to heels when I lost my balance, fell back, and reached out to brace myself. I became a left handed tetherball champion for a few weeks at school before a teacher caught me and made me stop playing in case I re-broke it. Our insurance ran out two days before my cast was due to come off so my mother submerged my arm in her bathroom sink for two hours and used a steak knife to saw it off. Worst cast removal ever.

Yep, I wear a compression sleeve on my wrist and arm. It helps with the swelling and offers support.

Oh my, I cannot imagine having my cast removed that way. The cast saw was freaky enough!

That's good. They didn't give me that kind of stuff when I had my first cast off - they told a six year old "Your cast is off, but keep using your crutches!" I didn't. I ran down to the playground, then realized I couldn't get back home on my weak ankle and had to hop.

I did something similar with my ankle. I had the soft cast I was wearing removed and the doc said give walking ago around the house. I walked around a lot that afternoon. I spent the next day in bed as a consequence. Having a broken wrist and ankle at the same time has sucked royally! I am just ready to get back to my life. I appreciate each and every reply!
    Last edited by entropy; 07-08-2011 at 09:56 AM.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    My fiance was in a bad bike crash (he used to race) and he broke his shoulder, right leg and left ankle. He was in hospital for months. I really feel for you breaking both a wrist and a leg at the same time because you can't even use crutches. I hope you continue to be on the mend, entropy!!

As for me, I've broken all sorts as I'm accident prone. I had a broken wrist (my writing arm...but I was a nerd so I was gutted) when I was 11. I was playing in a netball tournament and the WD tripped me up on purpose. Since then I've broken my foot, most of my toes, several fingers and dislocated my shoulder multiple times. The thing that hurt the most was kicking a metal table leg by accident and it pushing my little toe and toe next to it really far apart. I am about due another toe break because it's open toe shoe season. Some of my fingers are bent in the wrong direction now too.