Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broken bones

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    Yeah, I can't imagine breaking both my wrist and ankle at the same time. Breaking my right wrist and being right-handed was bad enough (also a nerd, and in college so I couldn't take my own notes for a while). I practically had a nervous breakdown one day because I was home alone & I couldn't open a damn can of soup for lunch! It was frustrating to say the least! I wish you continued progress in your recovery, hopefully it goes quickly.

Wow, Abi, that's a lot of breaks. I thought that I was accident prone, lol!
    Suck it, Shawn.

Blissgurl, I know your soup moment. I have had a few of those. My husband and daughter have tried to be helpful. But 7 weeks later, I cannot make real food or eat real food easily or neatly. I have thrown things out of frustration. Since I also broke my writing wrist (right) life has been difficult to say the least. I have had two previous surgeries on my right hand, so you think I would be a decent lefty. I am not.

The worst was the first two weeks. I basically stayed in bed for a month.

Abi, WoW. Lets hope for an opened toe show season with no breaks. I am not accident prone, but weird stuff happens to me. I once got very sick from a mosquito allergy!!!

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    ^
    Skeeter Syndrome! I had that after Memorial Day weekend -- no matter how much bug spray I wore, I just kept getting bitten, even through my clothing, until I had so many bug bites you couldn't even count them. And then I lay in bed for two days feeling miserable. Hot and then cold and itchy all over.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

^ exact same thing! Well I had been in Ecuador and worried that I had contracted something from the bites. So blood was drawn and test were done. My lymph nodes were so swollen and sore. Verdict: Allergic!! I slept very well for a few days on prescription antihistamines.

Allergic to mosquitoes?!?!?! That is my worst nightmare! I hate itching so much, I can't imagine having to deal with that :s ... During mosquito season here I survive on tea tree oil (they seems to hate the smell or something, it works better for me that bug spray), SUPER THIN sheets up to my neck, and leaving the bathroom light on and hope that it keeps the bugs out of bedroom ... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

I am originally from the south and used to get bit all the time. Supposedly my strong reaction was because I was bitten (in spite of taking precautions) so many times from a different species of mosquito.

I will have to remember tea tree oil.

I've never heard of that before! I guess all the itching from a mosquito bite is a bit of an allergic reaction anyway, right? That sucks, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I would probably go crazy!

Tea tree oil is a godsend.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

I felt a bit embarrassed explaining explaining to people that I was having a systematic allergic reaction to mosquito bites. I had never heard the phrase "Skeeter Syndrome" until today.

I'm not allergic to mosquitos, but I seem to get bitten significantly more than other people. There have been times when I've had dinner outside on the deck with guests, and I will literally get bitten 20 times within 10 minutes while everyone else has been bitten once or twice. The bites also swell up tremendously on me, into weird shapes with hard edges. It's really strange. There's a lot of standing water in the woods behind my house (mosquito breeding ground), so I pretty much avoid the outdoors altogether this time of year. It just isn't worth all the itchiness.

Damn Abi. You're giving me a run on the accident proneness.

In HS I wrestled. At state championships I tore my right glute (I really do NOT recommend that one) and sprained my right ankle in my last match. I had crutches, and got to use the elevator at school - and was allowed to be late.
    I've seared a watch to my wrist. Fell in to a brick wall tripping over something while waiting tables. And yesterday, burned my hand on the industrial oven (the oven temp is 466. So metal is worse). I have a blister about the size of a half dollar. I look like I'm growing a baby alien. My mother-in-law is a nurse, so I called her. "Oh, hi! How are you?" Finding new and interesting ways to hurt myself! "You wouldn't be you if you didn't!"

I want to thank every single person who replied to this thread. You made a bad situation a little more tolerable. The fall happened 12 weeks ago today. I can walk about 4 miles in one outing and can run one mile. Two days ago, I opened a can with a manual can opener. It felt like I had won a gold medal in the Olympics. I have had to work hard to gain strength back. My forearm was much like a spaghetti noodle after the cast was removed. My wrist (at the fractures sites) is sore a lot. Like they say, I can tell when a storm's a-comin'!

What is amazing is that, aside from a few clear memories, it as if I were asleep for 8 weeks. I did take pain killers, but not all the time. I think my brain has decided its not worth remembering. I had a shattered wrist(distal radius), the distal tip of the fibula broke off with an additional hairline fracture higher up, boney contusions on the outside 1/3 to 1/2 of my foot. I had a boney contusion of the hip. (still somewhat sore). I scraped and bruised my knee. And finally I tore the skin off my shoulder/severe road race that left a pretty nasty scar. All of this from a fall during a half marathon, wtf!
    Last edited by entropy; 08-14-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
    Damn Abi. You're giving me a run on the accident proneness.

In HS I wrestled. At state championships I tore my right glute (I really do NOT recommend that one) and sprained my right ankle in my last match. I had crutches, and got to use the elevator at school - and was allowed to be late.
    I've seared a watch to my wrist. Fell in to a brick wall tripping over something while waiting tables. And yesterday, burned my hand on the industrial oven (the oven temp is 466. So metal is worse). I have a blister about the size of a half dollar. I look like I'm growing a baby alien. My mother-in-law is a nurse, so I called her. "Oh, hi! How are you?" Finding new and interesting ways to hurt myself! "You wouldn't be you if you didn't!"
    One of my students last semester was camping during Spring Break. She tripped and caught herself on the stove in the cabin. The blister was huge and took up half her palm. I felt so bad for her. It hurt just looking at it. She came to my class on percocet the next time the class met, I could hardly blame her.

hahah! I broke my toe three weeks ago, so I decided to read through this thread!

I'm already walking three miles. The bone is aligned on the xray, but the toe itself looks funky and lumpy. The doc says that the callus which is part of the healing process! Broken pinkie toes suck! I couldn't wear shoes for two weeks! But, it seems to be healing pretty fast! I'll be taping it up and babying it for another few weeks!