Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Garbage

Garbage

I searched for a Garbage/Shirley Manson thread but nothing came up.

I also googled the band and nothing recent comes up either. Does anyone have any information on the new album the band is supposedly recording? I think there was some talk of it happening late last year....

This is what I got from wiki:

On February 1, 2010, it was confirmed through Shirley Manson's official Facebook profile that she spent a week in the studio with her bandmates.[103] The news came shortly after Butch Vig received a Grammy for producing American rock band Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown, which won "Best Rock Album".[104] In the post, Manson wrote "Guess who I just spent a week in the studio with? Would you be pleased if I said one of them was called Steve and one of them was called Duke and another was a Grammy-winning producer?"[103] In October 2010, it was officially confirmed that Garbage are recording their fifth studio album.[12] Manson revealed the band have "recorded quite a lot" and hope to tour in 2011 in support of the release. Manson anticipated a hopeful finishing date for the new material of summer 2011, also taken from her Facebook page.
    It was also confirmed that Smart Studios in Madison would be closing in 2010.[105]
    Recently the working titles of ten new songs, "Time Will Destroy Everything", "Blood for Poppies", "Alone", "Control", "Animal", "Automatic Systematic Habit", "Sugar", "Felt", "Lies, Lies, Lies" and "Not Your Kind of People" were released via Butch Vig and Garbage's Twitter pages as well as Manson's Facebook page.[106][107][108] The group has on several occasions described the sound of the album as "abrasive", featuring "extreme noise",[109] with Manson going so far as to attest, "All traditional instruments are banned. Instead, one is only allowed to make abstract "noise"."[110] Vig has confirmed that a total of 24 new songs are being "ruff mixed" for possible inclusion on the album
    Last edited by Baltic; 06-22-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Shirley Manson has been posting pictures on her Facebook page from the studio recording with Garbage over the last few weeks so it looks like they're making good progress.

she also posted this yesterday about what happened with her unreleased solo album

You know.....I suddenly became painfully aware that there has been no official explanation about what happened to my attempt at making a solo record.

I know many of you keep asking so here is what went down.
    It went down something like this.

Legal Caveat:
    (Unfortunately this script is not entirely fictional. Only some of it.......and not much of it at that.)

SCENE:SHIRLEY (Red haired DIVA) and RECORD EXEC in a small recording studio

Shirley: So here is the record I've just made......let me play it for you.......bear in mind these are all demo's.
    (Aforementioned music plays throughout scene)
    Exec: (Listening to the music for .....let's say 30 seconds.....) Oh I know what you are doing here.......yeah I know how you did this.....
    Shirley: ?!?!?!?!?!?
    Exec: I could sit down at the piano right now and play this
    Shirley:!??!?!?!?!?
    Exec: Uhuh........yeah.....you're doing the kind of production that's so in right now.....yeah........uhuh....yeah I could do this......
    Shirley: ?!?!?!??!?!?!
    Exec: Yeah.......very cool.......very dark
    Shirley: Oh. Great. Glad you like it!!!
    Exec: Thing is........we're not really looking for dark music right now.
    Shirley: Oh
    Exec: Yeah ......You see.......we want international radio hits and well this just wouldn't cut it on international radio. You could maybe sell 150k and you'd definitely get good critical response......lots of good reviews and all that but here at this company well........ we are in the business of musical excellence and well..........this just isn't excellent.
    Shirley: !??!?!?!?!?!!
    Exec: How we'd like to see your career shape up from here is that we would market you as the next Annie Lennox. Yep.....the world is waiting for the next Annie Lennox and you could definitely be her. You need a handful of pop hits like Sweet Dreams and Here Comes that Girl again and something like WHY.....and you'd be golden. None of this dark yucky stuff. Nobody wants to listen to dour sounds. Nope. Excellence is the business we are in. And that's what we do here. We make pop hits that make the whole world sing.
    Shirley: Oh. I see.
    Exec: Well......that's about it for now. Got another meeting to go to. Thanks for coming in. Goodbye.....
    Shirley: Oh.....em.......okay......well.......goodbye.......
    (Exec exits)

Legal Caveat repeated:
    (Unfortunately this script is not entirely fictional . Only some of it.......and not much of it at that.)
    i absolutely love Garbage, they're definitely a singles band..i saw their show in Boston during the tour for Bleed Like Me and it was just rock solid hit after hit after hit.

I'm so glad she didn't end up doing a solo album, I don't think it'd work for her. She belongs in Garbage (the band). I'm excited for new stuff.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I'm not saying Shirley's experience with that was not a horrible one or anything (because it clearly is/was) - but seriously, releasing music independently has to be heaps easier now than it's ever been. So a major label didn't want to back you. Okay, then take a DIY approach. Get donations from fans. Throw a website up. Get some server space and sell digital files. Contact iTunes and arrange something with them. I'm assuming she was mainly looking for financial support for studio time, because the distribution aspect seems fairly straightforward.

Is there some binding agreement with any record company that prevents her from doing any of that? Perhaps I'm oversimplifying things, but artists both smaller and bigger than Shirley have had success making it on their own.

"the world is waiting for the next Annie Lennox" <<<--- I always knew the record executives were aliens from another planet that were doing the things as they do in their own world.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I'm not saying Shirley's experience with that was not a horrible one or anything (because it clearly is/was) - but seriously, releasing music independently has to be heaps easier now than it's ever been. So a major label didn't want to back you. Okay, then take a DIY approach. Get donations from fans. Throw a website up. Get some server space and sell digital files. Contact iTunes and arrange something with them. I'm assuming she was mainly looking for financial support for studio time, because the distribution aspect seems fairly straightforward.

Is there some binding agreement with any record company that prevents her from doing any of that? Perhaps I'm oversimplifying things, but artists both smaller and bigger than Shirley have had success making it on their own.
    well if the record company paid for the recording and studio time, then they most likely own it and could very well have just shelved it. but the fact that she posted demos on facebook makes me think she probably paid for it herself, so who knows. maybe some of those songs will end up Garbage songs.

Well I'm glad to see this thread created, b/c I've been wondering when the next Garbage album was coming out. I didn't realize she was on facebook. I'll have to look her up and the new studio time pictures she has been posting. Also, really glad to have some kind of response as to why the solo album never saw the light of day. I was very interested in hearing it realized one of these days, and I hope that she can somehow make it happen still even while creating this new release with Garbage. The show I saw on the Bleed Like Me tour was easily in my top 5 favorite shows by anyone, ever! So many great songs, such great energy, and such a great band with an excellent feel all around.

That's the thing with Garbage, they make melodic, sometimes noisy, lush, music. I can't think of any other band who does that. Well, at least not one I enjoy. Could someone post the pictures of the group recording, for those who are not on facebook?

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Yes, surely Shirley could release independent work... I mean, that would have to be a separate contract if she wanted to do a solo album. But, maybe not. She probably is under contract which is where she got the money to do the project the exec doesn't want to support. ahh well.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

I was rather intrigued at the solo album, since I saw this years ago.
    From Wiki
    Manson presented some of her work to Geffen Records in 2008, who found it "too noir", prompting Manson and Geffen to mutually terminate her contract.
    Glad she posted that info on it.

Though I am thrilled they are recording again. And I love Shirley's "Today I'm channeling..." posts.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Exec: Yeah ......You see.......we want international radio hits and well this just wouldn't cut it on international radio. You could maybe sell 150k and you'd definitely get good critical response......lots of good reviews and all that but here at this company well........ we are in the business of musical excellence and well..........this just isn't excellent.
    This part cracked me up. Good reviews and good critical response wouldn't = excellence (in comparison to international radio hits). Whatevs

I'd love to hear a new Garbage record, they were one of my teenage loves. I saw them live in 96 and Shirley was fucking brilliant. So sassy and all that.

Shirley's post yesterday is squee-tastic.

Driving around listening to CONTROL, BIG BRITE WORLD, FELT, SUGAR and T.R.O.U.B.L.E all by garbage.
    EXCITING!!
    Can't BELIEVE that we have actually got this little beast up and running.
    So exciting..............

YAY! Now let's hope the record company releases it!

looking for a little hope just owls's Avatar
    I wonder if it's possible it will come out at the end of the year. I'd sure love an early 2012 tour from them. I can't believe I've never seen them live, in 15 years of being a fan. (Same with Fiona.)

The band posted new pictures of them in the studio today on facebook!