Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joanna performs on Austin City Limits

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Like someone else said, "totally stepping on Menju's toes here" but I didn't see this posted--- full video:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2186238787?starttime=1200000

I think I converted my brother; he came in just as "Have One on Me" started and didn't move from the couch until the end of the hour. YAY!

I completely forgot that it was on. I just happened to check out PBS at the right time and saw Fleet Foxes, then remembered. She is such a mesmerizing and polished performer. I'm still trying to convert Scott, but I think it's going to take some time. I probably should have him listen to Ys first.

That was so lovely! I was especially amazed by the ending of "Good Intentions Paving Company" - the trombone solo (!), the drums, and the fantastic piano playing... Ah, bliss!

Eh, I always feel like I'm bagging on Joanna, but I didn't think her voice was so great in HOOM or Good Intentions. She was doing some weird lisp thing in HOOM that I've never noticed before. Her playing was in top form on all three songs, though. And she could definitely give Tori a few pointers on wearing a flag-based stage outfit. *ahem*

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Eh, I always feel like I'm bagging on Joanna, but I didn't think her voice was so great in HOOM or Good Intentions.
    I have to agree. I've gotten to a point where I actually never want to see her live because she's always singing out of the sides of her mouth and squeaking. It looks and sounds painful.

Her records are wonderful, though, so I'm more than happy to just be a listener.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    I thought "Have One On Me" was really nice, but I agree about "Good Intentions." Then again, I've always thought "Good Intentions" was quite weak live--the upbeat parts at least. It always sounds like she doesn't know which harmony to sing so just decides to do a little bit of all of them. Her faces during that song were adorable though.

Quote Originally Posted by smallbluething View Post
    I have to agree. I've gotten to a point where I actually never want to see her live because she's always singing out of the sides of her mouth and squeaking. It looks and sounds painful.

Her records are wonderful, though, so I'm more than happy to just be a listener.
    The show I went to was amazing, and I've got several bootlegs from 2010 that are amazing. I just think she has off nights like any other performer. I would go see her again in a heartbeat.

I have to agree with Matty about Good Intentions... I don't think I've ever heard a live version that doesn't sound like a mess. I love the instrumental at the end, but the harmonies are all over the place. That's one of those songs that's way better on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by smallbluething View Post

You really must see her. In concert she's the most charming, funny and charismatic of performers. And you really need to hear Sawdust and Diamonds, where the rapt audience seems as concentrated throughout as she is.

Stupid question, but will the cut songs be available at some point for viewing?

If nothing else, it'd be nice if they put them on their website. I'd really like to hear Go Long.

I taped the program last night on local PBS - yay! I haven't watched the entire show yet, but I catch her excellent performance of Good Intentions Paving Company. Prior, I had only seen one other live video of Joanna (I think it was Jools Holland). Anyway, I loved everything about GIPC: the voice, the piano, and her facial expressions. I think she's so cute, and I really hope I get to see her in concert someday.

Someone has posted Have One On Me here.

Unfortunately the sound quality is a bit off...but at least those of us who missed it can get an overall idea.

Gorgeous.
    Last edited by okyanus; 01-30-2012 at 11:25 AM.