Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 92

Thread: Stuff that will never get released

  1. #61
    Hock...hockety-pockety? Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas USA
    Posts
    5,403
    Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    *slurps soup aggressively*
    "Bobby Brown got arrested for fuckin' on stage!"

  2. #62
    thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,904
    40 songs for ADP??????

    WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    40 songs for ADP??????

    WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL
    Right?! Of course this is all out of my head, but I feel like Tori was really spit balling with that album. After TBK was so poorly received by fans, she wanted to give us what we wanted to hear, (and not lose her contract, which was rumored within the industry to be an issue the entire time she was at Epic,) and most of us thought TBK was too soft, so why not a double-length guitar driven rock album with a song for everyone and then some?! It really felt and in retrospect looks like Tori was acting out of fear or insecurity and I don't blame her. She's obviously an incredibly sensitive person and the whole TBK debacle happened when she was in her early forties, a time when a lot of women are basically discarded by society. She had already had an amazing run as a recording artist, (especially a female recording artist,) so a down slide in her career was kind of inevitable. I honestly feel overwhelmed imagining how overwhelmed and insecure she might've felt at the time. Mark was expecting to make a highly produced record and she kinda bailed on that because of the book, I think she probably felt a little obligated to take the production up several notches on ADP. It's unfortunate in so many ways, but especially because I just really wish I had been 34 when she made TBK instead of 24 because I relate to and love that album now, but at the time, it was a major WTF moment. Meanwhile, I loved ADP when it came out, but it really hasn't held up for me. It's just so over compressed and it must've been at the mix level because the vinyl doesn't sound better to me at all.

  4. #64
    the unhappy worker waitressboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    3,322
    If (and this is a HUGE if) Venus is released on vinyl, it can be in only one record. I doubt she release the live album on vinyl.
    There's no way SLG gets released on vinyl.
    Scarlet's Walk could be released on vinyl if in five years people are still interested on music on vinyl.
    I don't see TBK on vinyl and ADP will never be re-released and it's so goddamn expensive.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    ADP will never be re-released and it's so goddamn expensive.
    Seriously. If I had any idea how terrible it would sound, I never would've spent the money on a sealed vinyl copy. I pretty much cried when I finally took the shrink off and listened to it.

  6. #66
    Hock...hockety-pockety? Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas USA
    Posts
    5,403
    Well, thank christ I never opened my vinyl copy of ADP!

  7. #67
    Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,821
    I will never by ADP on vinyl. Thank you but NO to that terrible cover on a larger canvas.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Venus_Envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Way Up North, UK
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    40 songs for ADP??????

    WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL
    23 tracks on the album + 17 shitty outtakes on AATS
    ~just an underwater thing~

  9. #69
    Senior Member Venus_Envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Way Up North, UK
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsofmysoles View Post
    Right?! Of course this is all out of my head, but I feel like Tori was really spit balling with that album. After TBK was so poorly received by fans, she wanted to give us what we wanted to hear, (and not lose her contract, which was rumored within the industry to be an issue the entire time she was at Epic,) and most of us thought TBK was too soft, so why not a double-length guitar driven rock album with a song for everyone and then some?! It really felt and in retrospect looks like Tori was acting out of fear or insecurity and I don't blame her.
    I've often thought this. For me, ADP and AATS are totally "reaction" albums.

    Love it or hate it, I genuinely believe that The Beekeeper was an honest record. It was an accurate representation of where Tori Amos was at that point in her life, singing about things that were relevant to her.

    I've often considered ADP to be a direct response to the lukewarm reception of TBK (though I think it's aged well and gets a better reaction now). And when ADP was criticized for being to long and having too much of a messy concept, she ditched the concepts and cut the track length down for AATS in reaction to that response.
    ~just an underwater thing~

  10. #70
    Senior Member Carey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    I've often thought this. For me, ADP and AATS are totally "reaction" albums.

    Love it or hate it, I genuinely believe that The Beekeeper was an honest record. It was an accurate representation of where Tori Amos was at that point in her life, singing about things that were relevant to her.

    I've often considered ADP to be a direct response to the lukewarm reception of TBK (though I think it's aged well and gets a better reaction now). And when ADP was criticized for being to long and having too much of a messy concept, she ditched the concepts and cut the track length down for AATS in reaction to that response.
    Do you think she was aware of that? I often wonder if/how Tori gets a truthful feedback about her work. Reviews, maybe? Does she read them? Of course she is not aware of what goes on the internet, and fans don't tell her that her new record is a snoozefest on the meet&greets. I remember an interview for TBK where some issues were pointed out and she was rather irritated. Maybe that? ADP was definitelly a reaction to something.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

  11. #71
    Senior Member Venus_Envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Way Up North, UK
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Do you think she was aware of that? I often wonder if/how Tori gets a truthful feedback about her work. Reviews, maybe? Does she read them? Of course she is not aware of what goes on the internet, and fans don't tell her that her new record is a snoozefest on the meet&greets. I remember an interview for TBK where some issues were pointed out and she was rather irritated. Maybe that? ADP was definitelly a reaction to something.
    From what she's said in later years, I think she was always perfectly aware of the flaws of her own stuff. She said in an interview I think during NOH that she regards The Beekeeper as unfinished and that she wanted more time to get it right but the powers that be rushed her to release it.

  12. #72
    generally largely right Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    Of course ADP is a reaction album. Just listen to Programmable Soda, she pretty much spells it out.

    As for TBK, I think that's perhaps a fair assessment, and I've thought about that over the years: her fans were too young at that point for Soccer Mom Pele, which, let's face it, is exactly what TBK is.

  13. #73
    Senior Member Carey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Of course ADP is a reaction album. Just listen to Programmable Soda, she pretty much spells it out.

    As for TBK, I think that's perhaps a fair assessment, and I've thought about that over the years: her fans were too young at that point for Soccer Mom Pele, which, let's face it, is exactly what TBK is.
    When TBK came out, it just felt lifeless to me. I was very much into Plugged and Dew Drop Inn crazy Banshee Tori. Some years later, things have changed. For example, I was crazy about the Glastonbury 98 concert, while now I kind of dislike it. And I started to really appreciate TBK, it's full of beautiful compositions, just a bit watered down.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    As for TBK, I think that's perhaps a fair assessment, and I've thought about that over the years: her fans were too young at that point for Soccer Mom Pele, which, let's face it, is exactly what TBK is.

  15. #75
    generally largely right Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,892
    Oh, I don't mean it in a good way. I mean - long tracklist, varied sounds, new keyboard (this time Hammond instead of harpsichord); the structure of the record was at that time more like that of Pele than of any other of her albums. But... bland.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •