Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Wolf

Patrick Wolf

'Cause it's impossible not to love the boy.

Here's my favorite Patrick video (and one of my favorite songs) Wind in the Wires. ♥

*sigh*

Looking forward to The Conqueror. In the five years that I've been a fan, he has yet to disappoint me.

-Christian.

Hell yes, I am SUPER excited about The Conqueror.

My favorite album of his, and one of my favorite albums EVER, is definitely Wind in the Wires.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Oh, excellent, we needed a PWolf thread. Lycanthropy is my favorite album of all time. I'm way ready to hear The Conqueror. He's brilliant.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    I'm familiar with Wind in the Wires and some of Lycanthropy. Making a promise to myself i will devote the time to delve into the rest.

I really do love The Bachelor, but I honestly should give the other albums more spins.

So, does The Sun is Often Out make anybody else besides me boohoo in the car whenever it comes on? 'Cause yeah.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    I haven't really given The Bachelor a fair chance, but Wind in the Wires and especially Lycanthropy make me so envious of his genius.

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    So, does The Sun is Often Out make anybody else besides me boohoo in the car whenever it comes on? 'Cause yeah.
    Every. Time.

(Then again, I'm a big cry baby... I also cry with Blackdown and Damaris and The Messenger... and that's just from that album...)

Thanks to @, I got turned onto PW a short while ago. He's quickly become my second favorite solo artist (behind Tori...) There is something truly unique and wonderful about him, especially as a male voice. Usually I'm drawn to women musicians for emotional purposes, but he's managed to break those boundaries. Much in the same way Tori does, he just gets it. So I am eternally grateful for finding him.

Watching his various interviews on Youtube has really made me love him. He seems so genuine.

My favorite song is Bluebells... as it was the first song I heard from him. His ability to write lyrics is astounding. Currently I think Magic Position and The Bachelor are tied for my favorite album. However, its his Bsides that really have me smitten. Penzance is easily one of the most beautiful songs in creation, with incredible lyrics.

Any way, I look forward to seeing what he has in store for us with the upcoming album. And I hope to be able to catch him live at some point...

He is INCREDIBLE live. Definitely see him if you ever get the chance.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Has anyone heard the St. George's Church Acoustic Mix version of Damaris? It's on the Damaris EP.
    It's essentially the same as the studio version, minus the drums. It's aboslutely gorgeous, and his voice is really upfront.
    My favorite album is still Wind in the Wires, though! I have also been a fan for five years.

From his Facebook:

We can now announce that Patrick is getting ready to release his fifth album.

As yet without a title, we can tell you that you will be able to hear the first sounds from the album next week.

The first track to be taken from the album, ‘Time Of My Life’ will be getting its first play on Nick Grimshaw’s Radio 1 show on Wednesday 3rd December

Discussing the first single, Patrick says: “ ‘Time Of My Life’ is a song that I began writing at the end of a relationship in 2006 and then finished three years later during a temporary break up in my current relationship. The new album has a direct narrative about love and optimism surviving through adversity and recession. I wanted to celebrate the love and hope I have found in the last few years.”

Released on December 6 “Time Of My Life” will be available on very limited edition 7” vinyl featuring a Leonad Cohen cover of ‘Anthem’ on the Bside.

To kick of proceedings Patrick will be performing a few intimate shows around the country in December.

5th December – Cardiff Clwb Ifor Bach

6th December – Guildford Boileroom

7th December – London Bloomsbury Ballroom

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    New Patrick Wolf single to debut tonight on Radio 1 at 10pm. The single is called "Time Of My Life". It looks like the promo is making its way around. Popjustice just covered it:

Yes. Yes it is very 'any good' indeed. It's called 'Time Of My Life' and it lasts for four amazing minutes and nine amazing seconds. It is dramatic and romantic and we love it.

The song contains:

1. Loadsastrings, many of which appear in an amazing thirty second intro
    2. Handclaps
    3. Patrick doing proper singing not that scary shouting business he sometimes does
    4. A tune your mum will like
    5. Piano
    6. Fantastic drums
    7. A pensive 'n' dramatic middle eight

It seems to be a song about being happy without someone (the chorus is, er, "happy without you oh, happy without you oh, happy without you oh, happy without you oh, happy without you oh, happy without you oh, happy without you oh, happy without you oh") or more, precisely, looking forward to a point when you are happy without someone - in the bridge to the chorus Patrick sings "I tell myself to hold on, won't be long til I grow up through this struggle, time to wake up, find the muscle". So what we really have here is not a song that is simply optimistic. Rather, it is a song which is blindly, desperately and pathetically optimistic, ie completely depressing. Amazing.

'Time Of My Life' sounds like loads of things we have always loved about Patrick's music but it sounds like some new things too. There is a new feeling of confidence in this song's simplicity - it's a confidence we first heard hints of in parts of 'The Magic Position' - and in Patrick's willingness to allow classic pop songwriting (for that is what we have here) room to breathe.

There is an instrumental version too which we keep accidentally listening to because it was imported immediately after the proper version in our iTunes. As songs without singing on go it is v pleasant but we prefer the warbly version which is probably just as well as that is the proper radio version. I

What we would like you The Reader to take away from all this is that the new Patrick Wolf single is a triumph and maybe even something of a career high. Hurrah.
    http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?...091&Itemid=206

Woohoo. I can't wait to hear it!!

Mmmm this was the track then that lead the Battle megamix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mafJ6bdK2x4

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hex object View Post
    Mmmm this was the track then that lead the Battle megamix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mafJ6bdK2x4
    brilliant! nice catch. love it so far.