Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Thread: Marriage

I kind of love that there are some states (Mississippi) and counties (in Alabama) are going to stop issuing marriage licenses to everyone so they don't have to issue them to gay people.

Now straight people will have a concrete example of what gay people have had to deal with. I hope that some of the more thoughtful people will appreciate how unfair and arbitrary the situation is. Temper tantrums are ugly.

(Of course I know it could turn into a "gays took our marriages!" backlash, but I'm going to stay positive.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NUHN View Post
    But I'm sorry, it is galling to see friends and family who either ignored, shamed, or belittled me suddenly adopting imagery that was at one time the only furtive refuge that many of us had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    If they did that to you and have not changed their position to this day, why are they your Facebook friends?
    Well ostensibly they have changed their position, that's why they're posting the flag now. Also life is complicated and not all of us have super strong support systems developed. If its easy for you to cut off your parent(s), siblings, and extended family, more power to you. Also I see friends of friends posts on Facebook, for instance people I went to the same high school like posts from people I know too but no longer speak to.

As far as people only treat you the way you allow them to....I mean, I guess? But we live in a homophobic society, so we have to navigate that the best we can. I don't feel like the onus is only on me to overcome the systemic anti-LGBT sentiment that surrounds me and that I was socialized in.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    In other news, this is my brother and his partner (not shown) getting their marriage license. The wedding is scheduled for July 5!
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    ^
    How exciting!!!! Congrats to them!

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    They've been together for 23 years. It's long past time they can make it legal.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Aw. Good for them, and yes. About fucking time.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    In other news, this is my brother and his partner (not shown) getting their marriage license. The wedding is scheduled for July 5!
    That gave me the chills! Congratulations to them!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Ahw, that makes me so happy! Congrats.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Longview, Texas will celebrate Traditional Marriage Month in August. The mayor signed a proclamation last week. Isn't that a bit like having a White History Month? These people are so clueless.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    And a clerk in another Texas County and judge in a third are refusing to issue same-sex licenses. Of course they're total buffoons, but the fact that there are REAL PROBLEMS that need to be handled in this country and they are wasting time and money on this shit...! And I propose a new law that every time someone utters "the bible says..." from now on, they get punched in the face.

Sounds good to me. We'll make an exemption for theology classes.

And Ryan, every February, I see people asking why there's no White History Month.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

So apparently, they legalised gay marriage in Colombia, though it still isn't very clear if it's civil unions or marriage equality, either way, it's a huge step for a Latin American country.
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Slovenia now has gay marriage. A bit of light in these dark times.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

A much needed postive story in the news:

Taiwan's top court rules in favour of same-sex marriage
    Taiwan is to become the first country in Asia to legalise same-sex marriage, after the island’s constitutional court ruled current laws defining unions as between a man and a woman are invalid.

Taiwan’s highest court, the council of grand justices, said barring gay couples from marrying violated “the people’s freedom of marriage” and “the people’s right to equality”.

“Sexual orientation is an immutable characteristic that is resistant to change,” the court said in its ruling. “The freedom of marriage for two persons of the same sex, once legally recognised, will constitute the collective basis, together with opposite-sex marriage, for a stable society.”

The island’s parliament has two years to amend or enact laws addressing same-sex unions, otherwise gay couples will automatically be allowed to register under the current framework. Two of the 14 justices dissented and one recused himself.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."