Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage

And then there's Texas. Sheesh, they're crazed.

Icon15

I copied down the following monologue from the movie "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" because I found it so moving and appropriate now:

But you do know - I'm sure you know - what you're up against. There'll be a hundred mlllion people right here in this country . . . who'll be shocked and offended . . . and appalled at the two of you. And the two of you will just have to ride that out. Maybe every day for the rest of your lives. You can try to ignore those people . . . or you can feel sorry for them and for their prejudices . . . and their bigotry and their blind hatreds and stupid fears. But where necessary . . . you'll just have to cling tight to each other . . . and say screw all those people! Anybody couId make a hell of a good case against your getting married. The arguments are so obvious that nobody has to make them. But you're two wonderful people . . . who happened to fall in love . . . and happen to have a pigmentation problem. And l think that now . . . no matter what kind of a case some bastard could make . . . against your getting married . . . there would be onIy one thing worse. And that would be if . . . knowing what you two are . . . knowing what you two have . . . and knowing what you two feel . . . you didn't get married.
    *sigh*

*eta* - I forgot we can imbed videos here!

Starting at 5:09 (though the whole clip is great):

Something. In. My. Eye.

Uh, there's something in mine too....

And mine.

Iceland Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir Weds Partner

REYKJAVIK, Iceland — Iceland's prime minister has married her partner under a new law legalizing same-sex marriage in the country.

One of her advisers, Hrannar B. Arnarsson, said Monday Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir and writer Jonina Leosdottir were officially married Sunday, the day the law came into force.

The pair has been in a registered partnership since 2002 and had applied to have it converted into a marriage under the new law. No ceremony was held.

The law was passed without a dissenting vote in Iceland's parliament June 11.

Social Democrat Sigurdardottir, 68, became Iceland's prime minister last year, after the previous center-right government was ousted by a wave of protest triggered by the country's economic crisis.
    Good for her!

Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    The law was passed without a dissenting vote in Iceland's parliament June 11.[

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    And then there's Texas. Sheesh, they're crazed.
    why does shit keep getting scarier and scarier? I have the hardest time looking at my calendar, seeing, yes it IS 2010 and a single person is able to preach any of this, never mind getting a single other human to go along with it.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devnull View Post
    Separate is not equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherLucifer View Post
    the only realistic option is marriage, because civil partnerships are just another way for politicians and voters to keep gays and lesbians separate from the rest of the population.
    I get you. I think the use of the phrase Civil Partnerships here was a shrewd tactical move at the time of the legislation, because it enabled people who thought of themselves as "conservative but open minded" (there is still such a thing here!) to feel unthreatened by it, while actually the smallprint guarantees practically everything that marriage does, excepting Bastard Religions, but that's a different battle that would be going on whatever the marriage was called.

"Seperate but equal" must have huge connotations in a former apartied country (i.e. "we know it means NOT equal") so I can understand why it wouldnt feel like any kind of victory to achieve that, especially when the Bad States would be likely to twist it.

feel it seep thru the slick divide MyNameisWarts's Avatar
    Off topic, but I just saw Guess Who's Coming to Dinner for the first time and it is such a great movie. Everyone should see it. They should do a reimagining/remake involving gays.

Instead of the awful Ashton Kutcher/Bernie Mac remake.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Oh hay! They were debating the (flawed) Civil Partnership bill this evening in the Dil here in Ireland. Here's a scene from outside, with Ireland's own attempt at crazy Christians.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    At the other end of the telescope, a 65% increase in the number of calls for support from men to the govt's Forced Marriages Unit represents the "tip of the iceburg", and families' fear of their son being, or being seen to be, gay is a major factor. It must be so for gay women in that situation too. East Enders deserves credit for running a story on that particular aspect of the horrible forced marriages scenario.

Some people's mums and dads fuck them up even more than others', as a poet nearly wrote.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2010/07...or-hawaii.html
    Calling it "marriage by another name," Hawaii Gov. Linda Lingle has just announced that she will VETO her state's civil unions bill. Invited to the announcement was the now-retired Hawaii Supreme Court Justice who first got the state's marriage equality ball rolling in 1993.
    cunt.

still very much an uphill battle

She is fucking evil.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    The Civil Partnership bill here is being debated in the final house of Parliament today. The "only gay man in Ireland" (as was his nickname for ages) Sen. David Norris (who is a long running human rights campaigner and the reason homosexuality was finally decriminalised here in Ireland) has said he will be voting against it, as he can't in good conscience vote for a bill that enshrines a wilful neglect of the rights of children with same-sex parents.

It's just grandstanding, as the bill itself will definitely pass in the Seanad, despite the awful people who have been protesting outside Parliament as it was passing through the Dil last week.