Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTW: siamrooT

Cool SOTW: siamrooT

This week it's time to show our love for siamrooT, argueably Kate's biggest hit so far. It definitely is the song that kickstarted her career and helped her reach a larger audience.

What can I say... I adore this song, it's my soul! It speaks to me on so many levels. Hell, I even based my screenname on it It's very much an earth-song and I'm a real earth-person (and a Cancer, which probably says more about me than you'd need to know lol lol lol)

Let's start with the lyrics:

There's so much there but let's focus on some special (to me ) bits.

everyone's favorite book has a coffee stain on it somewhere
    Possibly my favorite line by anyone ever! It so eloquently describes how each and every one of us is flawed somehow, but also that it's okay. It's just on the cover, right? and it's the inside that counts... I'm thinking of having this as a tattoo on my chest, maybe even with a coffee stain beneath it

and i sip siamroot

This is the bit where the songtitle comes from. I'm not really sure what siamroot means but I'm 90% sure it's about ancient Thailand. See, Thailand used to be called Siam (Iknowright??!!) and we all know how important ancient Eastern wisdom is for your spiritual wellbeing. My guess is, is that Kate is 'sipping' (which is a metaphor for learning and understanding, obviously) the knowledge of old Siam because it's the root of all ancient wisdom, much like the root of the Tree of Life or the Tree of Knowledge in Eden.

every girl wakes up an old woman one day
    Now, I'm not a girl (lol lol lol) but I can surely relate to this! There are those days where you wake up and you just KNOW you have matured overnight, much like cheese. It's songs like these that help me mature and grow and we have Kate to thank for that.

she's looking for a little something more raw to paint her face marrow red with the meaning of it all
    More proof that the song is about growing, maturing, finding your way in life. And yes, there are days when plain fire-truck red isn't enough and you need something more 'bloody'... Don't judge me, but sometimes I envy Kate and her periods. How glorious that shade of red must be. I'd like to wear that color red.

She is the balm in this Gilead
    And even more proof that the song is about growing and healing. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balm_of_Gilead
    I love how Kate incorporates these obscure references to religion and eczeme-remedies. It sets her apart from all the other musicians out there. Like ogres, her songs have so many layers! My interpretation here is that the 'she' stands for Gaia, mother earth, who could heal everyone of us if we would only listen!!!
    (also, this must be the best rhythm-change I've ever heard in a song If Freddy Mercury were alive he'd bow down! Where's Ebby when you need him, he probably has some fancy word for this bit, like 'break' or 'bridge')

I'd really love to hear what you all think and if you agree with my interps!
    Let me leave you with the video. We could talk about it later, how much it symbolizes empowerment and keeping your feet firm on the ground.

post28!

Great post, siamwouT! I totally agree with you interp., but to me it's more of a Fire song-- Leo and Taurus, if you will-- than Earth. For me the song is about the passion, here represented by siamrooT, that enters one's body and burns there like Aldeberan! Some nuts say siamrooT is an anagram of that Tori woman but I just lol at them.

Condoms, Rose, Condoms, Condoms!! Dorothy ZBORKnak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by siamwouT View Post

She is the balm in this Gilead
    And even more proof that the song is about growing and healing. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balm_of_Gilead
    I love how Kate incorporates these obscure references to religion and eczeme-remedies.
    this is my kind of love
    the kind that moves on
    the kind that leaves me alone...

Awesome post siamwouT! You really got to the -root- of the song! To me it's about marrying the Toris: the Tori that is good and sweet and kind, and the Tori that is her complete opposite or mirror image, siamrooT, she who is dangerous and unpredictable. As I sip her essence, I unlock my temple of sacred sinsuality and become a complete woman. This is represented by the scene in the video where she's in the bathtub (obviously, this represents the womb) holding a gun (a phallic symbol). As she sips siamrooT, she is reborn from the symbolic union. Real is the infusion, indeed. Yes, said.

Now, let's get somebody on the sure-to-be classic In My Stoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowbork View Post
    Some nuts say siamrooT is an anagram of that Tori woman but I just lol at them.
    Fuck those haters! How difficult is it for them to fathom that Kate is her own artist? What is so unlikely and unbelievable about Kate's musical story? What is so incredible, so hard to believe here? Is she a phantom or imp? Do not look into the darkness if you are not ready to seek the light. Or something like that.

Kate's music is only for those who believe in faeries want to be a part of it.

F*CK OFF H8RS

Sorry for the angery post, guys. I just ~rrrage~ whenever someone attacks KB.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    "Every girl wakes up an old woman one day"

This actually happened to me! It was the most amazing moment of my life basically LOL stalker I know but yeah.

I was talking to my mother and she fell asleep in her chair (that happens alot?).

My 2 year old niece Ryma Nelle yelled "NANNA GET OOP! WAKE OOP NANNA! I HUNGEE!"

She totally WOKE UP AN OLD WOMAN.

OMG RIGHT. It was a beautiful moment.

I went to the kitchen and gave my tea a special stir with the tampon I took from Martian, unbeknownsteth to Tori.

I hadn't heard this one before; literally, I've heard nothing like it before. Is this a whole new genre of music? Film directors take note - I have already chosen this for the soundtrack of my life.

OMG!!! Guys!!! I can't even tell you how much it means to me that this topic is here as song of the week!!!

Everything about my life changed when I found this song.

Quote Originally Posted by siamwouT View Post

What can I say... I adore this song, it's my soul! It speaks to me on so many levels. Hell, I even based my screenname on it

I think Kate would be so touched to realize what a deep relationship you have developed with siamrooT.

I think a lot of your interpretation is very good. I think there is more to some of it though.

When you sip siamrooT, you totally let go of any sense of ego or self. You let something completely possess you to the point you can't tell where you end and the other begins. It could be religion, or mythology or another human being or anything. In your case, you listened to this magical listening to the song itself was like, LITERALLY sipping siamrooT until you were so possessed you ACTUALLY BECAME siamwouT. (This shit is so deep!!!lol!!!) If you were like, a musician who "sipped siamrooT" by listening to the work of another musician, you could become possessed in such a way that you might start write songs that all are derivative in every way of what you've been listening to, except zobified.

Sipping siamrooT could be an allusion to ancient rituals used to take possession of another person's identity as though is were your own, as is hinted at by sipping "with a good friend of mine."

Quote Originally Posted by other bork View Post
    "Every girl wakes up an old woman one day"

This actually happened to me! It was the most amazing moment of my life basically LOL stalker I know but yeah.

I was talking to my mother and she fell asleep in her chair.

My 2 year old niece Ryma Nell yelled "NANNA GET OOP! WAKE OOP NANNA! I HUNGEE!"
    She totally WOKE UP AN OLD WOMAN.

OMG RIGHT. It was a beautiful moment.
    OMG!!!!!!! I think I would have cried if I had been there. It is uncanny, Kate ability to tap into all of those deep and hidden meanings.

I am so happy to have found you other BwH!!! I feel like we are a special band of misunderstood beings with trademark coiled hair that can only be united because of Kate and our love for her, her love for us (she is so generous with her fans. I heard sometime she joins their forums, with like, multiple account and everything, so they and really FEEL her PRESENCE). We are so lucky to have her and each other.

I have only watched the video about 100 times, so I want to watch it a few more times before I make any comments.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    I am so pleased you've joined the amazing experience we can all share!

But I should point out that you don't know Bork like I do .

I was a BwH before it was even called that. DO YOU UNDERSTNAD.

Just sayin!! !

Thank you Kate for the amazing videBork.
    I can't imagine myself having a bath again without a gun. And I sleep every night on my double bed with a man beside me, although I only stare at his legs/shoes
    BTW, I am going to Bangkok soon, are you? OMG!111 We can totally meet and bork everyone!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    The video is a tough nut to crack; it's highly symbolic and conceptual so I think it needs a few hundred views to really get to the siamroot of it. A couple of thoughts though:

- Is that a glass of siamrooT on the side of the bath?
    - When they're on the bed, Kate's got her sexy shoes on but the guy's only in his socks. There must be some symbolic meaning behind that, right?
    - Just who is Kate pointing the gun at??! I hope this gets resolved in In My Stoli (crossing fingers that that's the next single, it could be a hit with the right promotion)

I think we'll be able to see in her next video who she's aiming her gun at. But for now it's just 'Her and a Gun.'

Stop, everyone. Stop.

siamrooT is no song. I had bugged a martini and given it to Agent Yvana Bangkok in Kazahkstan. Unfortunately, the device was installed backwards, leaving Agent Bangkok to hear everything going on on my end at the MSIS (Martian Secret Intelligence Service). She's now using siamrooT's lyrics to share our codes and secrets with enemy KGB forces and tax men. You see, I was tracking Borscht Breggerman in Moscow, but Brunhilda came out of a building and took him away before I could shoot him with my Uzi. Her version is coercion, but my version, it's elixir of quietude. Send me to Seattle.

Is this chick for real? For a minute there, I thought it was a joke from an unforumzed member with too much time on her hands. Those are the worst lyrics I ever read.

It's very interesting that, instead of using cheap attention-whoring lyrics describing a rape (like Tori), she writes the song in a way you can really experience the rape through sound. It's beautiful.