Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The entertainment industry's unstoppable bullshit machine

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Yeah, I don't know if I believe Heather either. I mean, I feel like I'm betraying the sisterhood by siding with the powerful man, but my spidey sense tingles. As far as John... does the fact that it occurred decades ago when it was more or less "acceptable" mitigate it? That he changed his ways and devoted his life to peace? Are we allowed to forgive people, especially people who atone?
    This is what's so tough for me, because the fact is that because John was literally shot down at 40 years old, and because he had been a fucked up mess for almost his entire life before that point, he never really had the chance to atone. I think he might very well have done that, but the fact is that we'll never know, because he didn't have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    To an extent, I worry about it less when the artist in question is dead and my enjoying their art won't vindicate their behavior so much or go directly to their coffers. If I didn't, there'd be a lot of musicians I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation about (Bowie and Zeppelin both raped underage girls).

When it's a long time ago...I think if it were a long time ago and someone's lived an upright life and gone to a lot of trouble to atone since then, it's different than if someone did something horrible a long time ago and buried it, or worse, tries to justify it now. But I can't think of any public figure who's done the former.

When it comes to someone like Takei, as the granddaughter of interned Japanese-Americans I am having a lot of difficulty writing him off as a wholly bad person when he's done so much good in the world around another issue I care about. I want to write people who abuse others off as inhuman monsters, but that's far too simplistic a solution to the fact that human beings are complicated and one of the consequences of having sexual abusers in our midst is that sometimes we grow to love them and only receive the benefits of their presence while they abuse others.

I do have an easier time divorcing artist from art when it comes to music, though. I still pirate Chris Brown music. I just don't give him money, which I know cheats others in the chain of supply, but that's a minor concern to me.

We all have to make difficult decisions about whether or not we can enjoy the work of talented artists in spite of the fact that they have feet of clay. I find that it's much easier to enjoy a Hitchcock movie nowadays, because he's a legit genius who's been dead for almost 40 years and therefore so much time has passed since the Tippi Hedren incident. Still, I get chills when I watch The Birds, and especially Marnie.

I know she's problematic to many people, but this is pretty goddamned impressive to me.

At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Gross pig got grosser (the details are a little disturbing. Not super graphic, but I could picture it so vividly it made it harder to read)

Actor Tom Sizemore was told to leave a Utah film set in 2003 after an 11-year-old actress told her mother that he had touched her genitals, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Months later, he returned for reshoots in Malibu after her parents declined to press charges. The incident has never been revealed publicly.

I feel ill

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I thought I read something about Sizemore and kids/teens a few years back as well. And yeah it's one of the easiest-to-imagine disgusting things because he just seems like someone who would.

I thought this was a great read from GQ. Why All the Comedy Men Are So Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I thought this was a great read from GQ. Why All the Comedy Men Are So Awful.
    An excellent read. I want to get this framed. There are, of course, male comedians currently in the industry who manage to be hilarious without being gross, but they seem to make up a very small percentage in the world of funny people.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Old Vic theatre finds 20 allegations of 'inappropriate behaviour' from Kevin Spacey

This was over an 18-year period! But you know, the theatre is sorry for making people feel like they couldn't "speak freely".

Now Al Franken's name has been thrown in the mix

Starting to feel like men shouldn't be put in positions of power, period. FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    Now Al Franken's name has been thrown in the mix
    Just FYI: this is being discussed right now in the DNC Deathwatch Thread in the Politics subforum. It's a damn shame that it's so hard to keep up with all this bad behavior.

Two for Jeffrey Tambor

embedding isn't showing right now. not sure if my browser. here's a link https://twitter.com/tracelysette/sta...66076209799168

I'm here to ruin all your faves today

Actors have long had to deal with amorous co-stars chancing their arm on stage in the name of art, but imaginative tales of vigilante justice rarely come this delicious.

One theatre star who had to share a scripted kiss in a play with Charles Dance became very tired of his persistent habit of slipping her the tongue, so she hit upon a rather creative solution.

One night she gave her boyfriend a blowjob backstage before the curtain went up, and deliberately didn’t rinse her mouth out before stepping on stage.
    to be fair, that's a gossip site, not a legit news site, but it's not pinging my fake-dar