Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: The entertainment industry's unstoppable bullshit machine

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    The difference is that the people on the left are getting fired, and the Republicans literally don't care and there are no consequences for any of these guys. Like if Roy Moore were a Dem person he would have been forced to step down by now.
    I think this is a lot of it. If you're a woman who accuses a Republican, nothing will happen except you will be called a liar, a slut, harassed, and have your life threatened. This happens to some extent to the women coming forward about liberals too, but it's not prescriptive and still, 9 out of 10 times the accused gets fired. There is absolutely no upside to coming forward against a Republican, especially since we're living in the era of Trump. They see that the consequence of doing so for their attacker is he might get to become President at some point.

ETA: Not sure if details will come out / people will come forward, but "John Lasseter Taking Leave of Absence From Pixar Amid "Missteps'"

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Religion (especially more on the fundamentalist side) also plays a role.
    This is purely anecdotal, but I think religion plays a significant role. The devoutly Christian women I know all profess to be subservient to their husbands. I've heard my sister-in-law say she was praying that her husband (my brother!) will come around to her side of things, as opposed to just, you know, TALKING TO HIM DIRECTLY about what she wanted. I went out of town with another friend to go shopping and we had to leave midday because her husband was blowing up her phone and she felt "it's best I just go home so he can settle his mind." Like it's 18fucking52.

I also think this meekness towards their husbands spills over into a weirdly misplaced sense of "politeness" when other men behave like assholes. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard a southern (read: religious) woman say, "Well, wouldn't that be rude?" when I've asked why they didn't speak up about something...

If this comes across as victim-blaming, I'll gladly review my position on this. But I honestly don't fault these women for this. Christianity teaches you that questioning God/TheBible/Authority is inherently evil. I can't imagine what it's like to be indoctrinated from birth into the idea that QUESTIONING ANYTHING IS EVIL AND BAD AND WRONG. You'd never be able to engage in truth-seeking without an incredible amount of fear and shame and guilt.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    I've heard my sister-in-law say she was praying that her husband (my brother!) will come around to her side of things, as opposed to just, you know, TALKING TO HIM DIRECTLY about what she wanted.
    Sorry I know its not funny since he is your brother and all, but I kind of lolled out loud when I read this. Actually reminds me of my own brother, he married kind of a strict Christian person: she still votes for a party that is essentially against gay marriage. While we were raised a Christian too, my mother always taught me the church lies (so we rarely went) and to question everything.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    I can't imagine what it's like to be indoctrinated from birth into the idea that QUESTIONING ANYTHING IS EVIL AND BAD AND WRONG. You'd never be able to engage in truth-seeking without an incredible amount of fear and shame and guilt.

Ironically, it's a long, hard road out of hell!

I grew up in Pentecostal setting. Yep, good times.

If this is too long, off subject, or too live journally, I'm sorry. It's just amazing how fundamentalism can fuck with your mind and make you think/do irrational things.

TLDR Version: If you are a woman who has been harassed or raped it's because you suck, you asked for it, you are being tested, God wanted to make you stronger.
    If you are male, you've had a moment of weakness. You'll probably be forgiven. Weirdly enough we get the idea that males are weak and females are strong. And it's up to us women to obey our males while keeping them from sinning at the same time.

Last edited by entropy; Today at 12:10 PM.