Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The entertainment industry's unstoppable bullshit machine

YouTube Copyright Bots Finally Tick Off Someone Who Understands Copyright Law

http://consumerist.com/2013/09/30/yo...copyright-law/

Harvard law professor and Creative Commons co-founder Lawrence Lessig knows a thing or two about copyright law. So when a record company demanded that he remove a video from YouTube that featured one of their artists’ songs, he not only fought back to keep the clip online, but has now sued that record company in the hopes of getting it, and others, to stop using auto-scanning technology to take advantage of consumers who may not know their rights.

snip

He appealed his case to YouTube and Liberation swiftly replied on July 8 that it would sue him in a U.S. District Court if he did not retract his dispute of their infringement claim within 72 hours.
    Lessig retracted his claim on July 10, but filed suit in a U.S. District Court in Massachusetts in late August.

He also accuses Liberation of knowing — or at least that it, as an international record company, should have known — that it was acting in bad faith when it sent the takedown notice to YouTube. Lessig seeks unspecified damages from the company, including legal fees
    huh.
    Life. Some of it's valuable, some of it's junk, but all of it is odd.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    There's a lot of fair use exceptions that you can use copyrighted material legally for specific purposes. For example, that buffy v twilight video comparison was argued as fair use as it was looking at different representations of female characters and the resulting video mashup was an educational presentation and not an attempt to make money based on copyrighted material.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Soooo...Now McDonald's has jumped on the "exposure" for payment bandwagon and refused to pay artists it's asking to play in SXSW showcases, where it's become a major sponsor (because nothing says "emerging artists" and "eclectic music scene" quite like factory-farmed meat and a $96B corporation). And when contacted by Rolling Stone, McD's home office basically evaded and patronized them. If anyone wants to let them know how you feel about these practices, you can contact:

Becca Hary: becca.hary@us.mcd.com
    Jon Rump: jon.rump@us.mcd.com
    Lisa McComb: lisa.mccomb@us.mcd.com
    Heidi Barker: heidi.barker@us.mcd.com
    Scott McNearny: mcnearny@sxsw.com

Full articles:
    SXSW is no stranger to corporate overlords, and no stranger to bands calling them out for that kind of behavior. This year, McDonald’s is getting in on the action. Back in December, the fast food empire announced that it would be an official sponsor of the Austin festival, and that it would take steps to “improve the SXSW experience for everyone,” according to an open letter from Micky D’s Chief Digital Officer Atif Rafiq. Apparently, this involves the creation of a McDonald’s Lounge, and a “Fry-Fi” (lo-fi DIY) food truck that will give out Wi-Fi and fries. It also looks like they’re trying to put together a music showcase.
    In a Facebook post today, Brooklyn band Ex Cops — who put out a new album last year — say that they were recently asked by McDonald’s to play a sponsored showcase, but were told that the company did not have a budget to pay any artists to perform. While it’s true that bands often play SXSW showcases for little to no pay, those showcases aren’t usually sponsored by multi-billion dollar corporations. It’s egregious to think that the company couldn’t put up a little cash.

“In lieu of being paid like a real artist, or anyone who is employed to do a service, McDonald’s assures us that we will ‘be featured on screens throughout the event, as well as POSSIBLY mentioned on McDonald’s social media accounts like Facebook (57MM likes!),'” band member Brian Harding wrote.

Here’s their letter in full — it’s a very interesting read:

McDonald’s asked us to play SXSW. This is Brian’s open letter about it.

This week our band was asked to play the McDonald’s Showcase at the annual South by Southwest, also known to music insiders as “SXSW.”
    Their selling point was that this was “a great opportunity for additional exposure,” and that “McDonald’s will have their global digital team on site to meet with the bands, help with cross promotion, etc”

I don’t, and doubt that they know what this means either.

Getting past that rhetoric, at the very least a big corporation like McDonald’s can at least pay their talent a little. Right?

“There isn’t a budget for an artist fee (unfortunately)”

As of 2013, McDonalds is valued at 90.3 billion dollars.

I won’t get into the internet semantics of things you’ve probably seen on your Facebook feed; like that thing where it takes a McDonald’s worker 4 months to earn what the CEO makes in an hour, or their GMO love affair, and I will certainly spare you the bounty of photos showing how they treat their animals.

In lieu of being paid like a real artist, or anyone who is employed to do a service, McDonald’s assures us that we will “be featured on screens throughout the event, as well as POSSIBLY mentioned on McDonald’s social media accounts like Facebook (57MM likes!)”

We recently headlined a show at the Brooklyn venue Baby’s Alright. They are by no means a DIY venue, but they are still an independent small business. The owners are people our age who used to book shows at Pianos and busted their asses to open a venue of their own in Brooklyn.

While I haven’t asked Billy or Zach how much they make annually (that would be weird) I’m going to guess they’re not looking at brownstones in Prospect Park at the moment. Yet when we played, we were paid very very fairly, were provided with drink tickets, and each band member fed a full entree from their menu (try the Brussels sprouts)

I will also go ahead and save time for any schill / troll rebuttals; “Are the other showcases paying you? No one is holding a gun to your head!” This is true. It is our choice (pretty much) to fly to Austin, play shows without soundcheck, and get paid nothing to a little. But hear this loud and clear, we LOVE making music, it is what we do, and despite some of its very apparent flaws, SXSW still provides a decent venue to be heard by some people who are really there to hear new music and not just do blow with dudes who wear square toe loafers.

It is a horrifying and gross reality when one sees the true nature of corporations and their pathetic attempts to achieve relevance with millennials. Doritos received a lot of flack for their stage a couple years ago, but i’m going to assume they paid Lady Gaga.

Oh, I almost forgot; “McDonald’s will offer free food to all audience members”

I don’t doubt that tons of bands will kowtow to this lame, lame attempt at a rock show. And I’m aware that to achieve any exposure is a Herculean task in 2015, but the Boethian Wheel is a real thing, and this will continue to exist if we, as artists, keep saying yes in exchange for a taste of success. Even if smells like a shitty Fish filet.
    At last, another Where’s The Beef that actually involves beef!
    A rep for McDonald's has responded to an indie-rock band's Facebook post claiming the fast-food giants asked them to play a South by Southwest showcase for free in exchange for exposure. Indie-pop duo Ex Cops wrote a scathing Facebook post Wednesday alleging that the McDonald's invite said, "There isn't a budget for an artist fee (unfortunately)" and offering food in lieu of payment, to which they noted the reported $90 billion the company made in 2013. "We're totally open to branding and it's 2015 and you have to roll with the punches, but that brand is something that we cannot work with," band member Brian Harding tells Rolling Stone.

SIDEBAR
    Perfect Puppy: SXSW's Animal Acts Pose With Adorable Homeless Pets »
    "We follow the same standard protocol as other brands and sponsors by inviting talented and emerging musicians to join us at the SXSW Festival," McDonald's Global Media Relations Director Becca Hary tells Rolling Stone. "We look forward to serving McDonald's food, drinks and fun in Austin. #slownewsday"

"That's not true," Ex Cops singer Amalie Bruun said after hearing McDonald's response. "They're not following any guidelines because everyone else is offering money. They'll have to take that up with South by Southwest if they think they're following the guidelines...Other, much smaller corporations are offering us money."

"It's gross," Harding says. "It's a perfect example of an archaic company trying to be hip by putting a hashtag at the end of an e-mail."

Brunn says the pair originally decided to share the e-mail on their Facebook "so people know what the music industry is like today."

Harding wants corporations to understand that that they can't take advantage of what has become artists' main source of income. "The people that have been supporting the music industry lately understand that we don't make money off albums anymore, and that's why you see so much merchandise and bands tour all the time," he says. "It's our only kinds of income."

"If we're not going to get paid for our live shows, what are we going to get paid for?" Brunn asks.

Ex Cops released their second album, Daggers, last year and will embark on a run of South by Southwest appearances, listed on their Facebook, later this month.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    The Weinstein thing could possibly end up being big enough for its own thread, and maybe it's gossip-related, but for now this article definitely fits the unstoppable bullshit parameters.

How NBC ‘Killed’ Ronan Farrow’s Weinstein Exposé
    Inside and outside NBC, sources are challenging the network’s take on the bombshell it missed. ‘NBC did everything they could to delay it, complicate it, and ultimately [kill] it.’

Addressing a controversy that has been percolating for the past several days in the media ecosystem since The New York Times published its own Weinstein exposé—including questions about whether NBC executives caved to the well-connected Weinstein and his formidable lawyers, Charles Harder, Lisa Bloom, and David Boies—Maddow brought it to a boiling point by telling Farrow: “NBC says that the story wasn’t publishable, that it wasn’t ready to go at the time that you brought it to them.”

Farrow fired back: “I walked into the door at The New Yorker with an explosively reportable piece that should have been public earlier. And immediately, obviously, The New Yorker recognized that. And it is not accurate to say that it was not reportable. In fact, there were multiple determinations that it was reportable at NBC.”

Farrow’s blunt claim highlighted an uncomfortable debate among NBC News insiders, and beyond, concerning the quality and status of his investigative reporting and the reasons why a respected television network would kill a sensational scoop about a famous, influential, politically wired, and undeniably newsworthy figure like Harvey Weinstein.
    So... does everyone else think NBC spiked it? 'Cause I do. I don't know why and what possessed them to think it wouldn't get out, but I think they did it. Maybe they did because why wouldn't get they away with it when Harvey did for decades? Maybe they thought the good ole boys club would protect them forever because it always had.

Harvey being taken down is just the beginning, I think. I think some execs at NBC are going to be hastily shown "early retirement". How many others are going to be caught in the crossfire? Editors at People? Movie producers? Complicit actors? It's bad enough it was Harvey, but he literally couldn't have done it alone.

I think NBC could get a lot of slack from people like me if they released those Apprentice tapes as penance... not that it would probably change anything for the pathologically stupid.

Well, of course, the righties are saying that Liberal NBC was protecting Liberal Harvey. But I definitely think it was a Good Ol' Boys deal, or maybe they were afraid of Harvey. But I do think it was spiked. I do think people think they will be safe. Maybe a lot of them will be. But I definitely think that a good number of people will be going down. Women are fucking furious, as they should be, and social media is on fire. And I like that. I want some motherfuckers to go DOWN.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I really think something is happening. I spent a lot of time on Twitter yesterday reading the feeds of some of the really hardcore women speaking out -- Rose McGowan, Jessica Chastain , Amber Tamblyn, Asia Argento. (In the Farrow piece, Argento's story was the one that really broke my heart.) And they seem ready to rumble. (The hashtag #ROSEARMY is getting common.) I really would like to talk about this more. Should we use this thread or start another?
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Aaaaand Rose McGowan has been suspended from Twitter. Supposedly, she can get back on tomorrow if she deletes the posts that broke their rules. They haven't told her which ones did that, though.

Meanwhile, there's this guy who Tweets shit that scares the everloving fuck out of everyone on a regular basis. Does he ever get suspended? NO.

Barack Hussein Obama

I was thinking more about NBC and the refusing to air the story, not releasing the Apprentice tapes. And you know what I remembered? SVU had A Very Special Episode with a "donald" character that got spiked this time last year. I don't watch SVU, but I don't think it's aired.

I did a quick Google search and, yeah, it looks like the spiking is permanent The ironic thing is that Trump is now going after NBC, talking about pulling their license! (Which, actually, is not how it works, but that's never stopped him before.) So NBC finally grew a pair concerning Trump, but they're still afraid of Harvey! Weird.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Aaaaand Rose McGowan has been suspended from Twitter. Supposedly, she can get back on tomorrow if she deletes the posts that broke their rules. They haven't told her which ones did that, though.

Meanwhile, there's this guy who Tweets shit that scares the everloving fuck out of everyone on a regular basis. Does he ever get suspended? NO.
    Now they're saying she was suspended for tweeting out a phone number. IF THAT IS TRUE AND THE ONLY REASON, yeah, I can agree with that. But there is such a nazi problem on twitter that it's laughable that they can pat themselves on the back for one legit issue and ignoring the others. Like I agree that a phone number is not ok, but ... why can't they ALSO boot the bots and nazis?

And I fully admit this is just gossip, but I find this site to be pretty reliable. Not everything turns out to be true, but there aren't a lot of celebrity scandals that surprise me any more because I read about them for weeks before People or Us or TMZ finally got a scoop. So take it with a grain of salt, but it's not necessarily just fluff because it's gossip.

Rose McGowan's Twitter Suspended By Actors She Is Calling Out

Want to silence Rose McGowan? Well, if you are Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, you start making phone calls. Who did they call? Their best buddy over at Twitter. The next thing you know, their fiercest critic has been silenced. Now, Rose McGowan looks like she is some stark raving lunatic and they are the calm measured ones. They have managed to get her suspended from Twitter while Nazis and racists and misogynists remain free to terrorize. Think it will happen again? It will if they want it to. Do you really think the average person was reporting Rose to Twitter? In the volume needed to suspend?
    I don't know if Ben and Matt really have the pull to do this, that they really care about Rose (best for them is to keep heads down, mouths shut, and donate to worthy causes), but at the same time, every other time this story has tried to come out over the years, SOMEONE has made it go away. Why not them this time?

One of the things I think that is a good thing about the whole Weinstein mess is that men are coming forward too.

James Van Der Beek Comes Forward Revealing He Was Harassed By "Older, Powerful Men"

"For anyone judging the women who stayed silent, read this for perspective," he began. "Also for anyone brushing off harassment as 'boys being boys.' What Weinstein is being accused of is criminal. What he’s admitted to is unacceptable - in any industry. I applaud everybody speaking out."

This is where things got personal. In addition to the reports of sexual misconduct against women, Van Der Beek himself says he has been on the receiving end of assault.

"I’ve had my ass grabbed by older, powerful men, I’ve had them corner me in inappropriate sexual conversations when I was much younger..." he wrote. "I understand the unwarranted shame, powerlessness & inability to blow the whistle. There’s a power dynamic that feels impossible to overcome."
    And if anyone hasn't seen Terry Crews' story...

This whole thing with Harvey Weinstein is giving me PTSD. Why? Because this kind of thing happened to ME.

My wife n I were at a Hollywood function last year n a high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates.

Jumping back I said What are you doing?! My wife saw everything n we looked at him like he was crazy. He just grinned like a jerk.

I was going to kick his ass right then— but I thought twice about how the whole thing would appear.

“240 lbs. Black Man stomps out Hollywood Honcho” would be the headline the next day.

Only I probably wouldn’t have been able to read it because I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN JAIL. So we left.

That night and the next day I talked to everyone I knew that worked with him about what happened.

He called me the next day with an apology but never really explained why he did what he did.

I decided not 2 take it further becuz I didn’t want 2b ostracized— par 4 the course when the predator has power n influence.

I let it go. And I understand why many women who this happens to let it go.

Who’s going 2 believe you? ( few) What r the repercussions?(many) Do u want 2 work again? (Yes) R you prepared 2b ostracized?(No)

I love what I do. But it’s a shame and the height of disappointment when someone tries to takes advantage of that.

He knows who he is. But sumtimes Uhav2 wait & compare notes w/ others who’ve been victimized in order 2gain a position of strength.

I understand and empathize with those who have remained silent. But Harvey Weinstein is not the only perpetrator.

Hollywood is not the only business we’re this happens, and to the casualties of this behavior— you are not alone.

Hopefully, me coming forward with my story will deter a predator and encourage someone who feels hopeless.
    Last year. LAST YEAR. He's several seasons into a tv show. Has been on others, several high profile movies. He's not some up and coming ingenue. He's already in a significant position of Hwood power and elitism and it still happens to him. It's not about sex, about "leading someone one," or casting couches as something you choose to do. His fucking WIFE was with him, so Pence's "I won't be alone with a woman not my wife" thing wouldn't help a woman in his situation. It's about power and being disgusting. Feeling entitled and above the law.

Look at politics. Look at the Catholic Church. Look at sports — remember Penn State? Look at the music and entertainment industries. Very loud whispers about Lou Pearlman here in Orlando through the 90s and what young guys had to do to make it into his bands like *NSYNC.

It’s not a partisan issue, but an issue of rich and powerful people thinking they’re allowed to take what they want without consequence because their status affords them that. I’m tired of watching people squabble on social media about democrats having to disavow Weinstein or conservatives having to speak out against pussy-grabbing... the fact is that TONS of men are awful and we should call them all out regardless of whose “side” they’re on.

You're playing my song, Ryan. I've been posting repeatedly that this is about power, not partisan politics. Abusers are R, D, I, and every other fucking initial. I know I won't convince anyone I respond to, but maybe someone else reading it will get me point. Or maybe I'm just wasting my time. Whatever. I'm gonna keep doing it. It's an important point.

I think Terry Crews is a hero. Good on van der Beek too, but Crews was a FOOTBALL PLAYER. I mean, if a big. strong jock can be a victim of this, anyone can. Maybe that will jostle some minds loose.

Yeah, I really think Jessica Chastain made a mistake in sticking up for Damon. When she did that, a lot of people pointed out that Damon stuck up for Casey Affleck. And if he did this.....I mean, Jess was one of the ones who sent out a nasty tweet about that Twitter. I dunno. Jess is such a sweet person, but she trips over her heart sometimes. People have to realize that they can't 100% trust prior impressions of someone being a nice guy. This is fucking insidious. Not all abusers/enablers are as obvious as Harvey. But yeah, I Wouldn't Be Surprised if Damon turned out to be dirty in this.

Barack Hussein Obama

Rose is back.

Barack Hussein Obama

Other women are coming out about Ben being handsy.

I am starting to think it's going to get real ugly real fast for him. And I feel stupid for falling for his facade. Like... I never liked Woody Allen, but I thought Ben was decent. Maybe he was and fame got to him or maybe I just have terrible judgment in men from Massachusetts... It could be a very localized problem for me.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Other women are coming out about Ben being handsy.

I am starting to think it's going to get real ugly real fast for him. And I feel stupid for falling for his facade. Like... I never liked Woody Allen, but I thought Ben was decent. Maybe he was and fame got to him or maybe I just have terrible judgment in men from Massachusetts... It could be a very localized problem for me.
    Woody Allen always gave off a creepy vibe - way before he got involved with Soon-Yi. And all those Hollywood pretty boys sticking together and basically doing whatever the fuck they want - ugh. just ugh. Maybe it's the bratty little kid in me but I eschew most films made in Tinseltown preferring obscure foreign flicks.