Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The entertainment industry's unstoppable bullshit machine

Honestly, it makes me a little uncomfortable that these accusations towards Ben Affleck are coming out at the same time as the Harvey Weinstein scandal. Now, I'm in no way suggesting that the behaviour described is somehow acceptable. These are serious issues that need to be addressed. But, at the same time, Weinstein's actions have been consistent with those of a serial rapist. Women are still coming forward with their stories and accounts which are massively important. Bringing Affleck into this looks like classic misdirection to me, and a little unfair. Yes, he should be taken to task, and called out, but filing his story alongside that of Weinstein who has been assaulting women for decades, feels a little irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Honestly, it makes me a little uncomfortable that these accusations towards Ben Affleck are coming out at the same time as the Harvey Weinstein scandal. Now, I'm in no way suggesting that the behaviour described is somehow acceptable. These are serious issues that need to be addressed. But, at the same time, Weinstein's actions have been consistent with those of a serial rapist. Women are still coming forward with their stories and accounts which are massively important. Bringing Affleck into this looks like classic misdirection to me, and a little unfair. Yes, he should be taken to task, and called out, but filing his story alongside that of Weinstein who has been assaulting women for decades, feels a little irresponsible.
    I have heard first hand that Affleck is hella gross and gropey IRL. I don’t claim to be any sort of Hollywood insider but I know enough people in LA and in the business to have heard rumors. He’s also a drunk. Not that it excuses anything.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I think once one person on the record names one person, it makes everyone feel comfortable. Those who have been... Silent All These Years... if you will. It certainly gave new meaning to Coming Out Day 2017. So yeah, maybe Ben isn't AS bad as Harvey, but if he's been a groper, why should it stay quiet? Take them all down.

Floodgates opening:

Amazon exec

Once in the cab, Hackett says Price repeatedly and insistently propositioned her. “You will love my dick,” he said, according to Hackett, who relayed her account to multiple individuals in the hours after the alleged episode. (The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed Hackett told at least two people about the alleged incident in the immediate aftermath.) Hackett says she made clear to Price she was not interested and told him that she is a lesbian with a wife and children.

Hackett says Price did not relent in the cab or once they arrived at the Amazon party. As she talked with other executives, she says that Price stepped close to her and loudly said, “Anal sex!” in her ear.

There is such hypocrisy. So if Rose was suspended for a phone number, what about all the other doxxers who don't get suspended? There was a slew of that during Gamer Gate (huh... no correlation to the Harvey problem there, right?). I guess John Popper has it out for some people and doxxes them all the time. So why is Rose singled out? Twitter really needs to get it shit together on its own because with the Feds looking into them and facebook due to election stuff, they're going to want to be above reproach when they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I have heard first hand that Affleck is hella gross and gropey IRL. I don’t claim to be any sort of Hollywood insider but I know enough people in LA and in the business to have heard rumors. He’s also a drunk. Not that it excuses anything.
    Oh, I have no doubt that he's a mess. And I think it's a good thing that he's being exposed. I'm just not sure that putting him on the same ship as a lifelong predator is going to help matters much.

It's funny. Earlier today, Rose sent a string of tweets to Jeff Bezos at Amazon about something she wrote that they optioned. She found out they were going to work with The Weinstein Company, and she went at them saying that Harvey had raped her. Soon after, her project was dropped. She mentioned, but did not name, an Amazon bigwig that she had been dealing with. A few hours later, this Price dude was suspended. I think she knew what to say about him, and was at least partially responsible for this guy going down. Some poster at Variety was feverishly claiming that she was crazy. I responded that I would say that she has clarity of purpose. She may be nuts, but she's smart, and she's just gonna keep going. This just gets more and more interesting.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I think once one person on the record names one person, it makes everyone feel comfortable. Those who have been... Silent All These Years... if you will. It certainly gave new meaning to Coming Out Day 2017. So yeah, maybe Ben isn't AS bad as Harvey, but if he's been a groper, why should it stay quiet? Take them all down.
    I agree, 100%. It's vital that people understand there are varying degrees of this behaviour and just because someone did it more/worse, doesn't mean the "lesser" should be ignored.

Emma Thompson sums is up perfectly, frankly.

I guess Oliver Stone was being a pig. Saying this all is vigilante justice.

Now I’m thinking a lot about a sorta fairytale.

Must be another one of those stories... about him.

Oh I guess we’re all boycotting twitter in 15 minutes for 24 hours.

I managed to stay off twitter for 23 hours and 45ish minutes. Yesterday was yet another exceptionally weird news day and it was really hard. When I finally peeked in at just about midnight, my timeline was a LOT quieter than it normally would have been.

There are some really bad takes about the boycott. Hey, it's not about a white woman being harassed. Jesus christ shut up you assholes. It's about a WOMAN being forcibly silenced when men can doxx and threaten all the time without repercussions. Period. It wasn't a stand on sexual harassment or being fans of Rose. Twitter has terrible standards and it punishes the wrong people. It has a serious bot and troll problem. The boycott was about "hey, this place sure is shitty when the women aren't here, so fix things because at the rate this is going, it's going to be all white dudes."

And it might have worked.

7/ New rules around: unwanted sexual advances, non-consensual nudity, hate symbols, violent groups, and tweets that glorifies violence.
    A fair point could be made it's too little, too late. That they're about to be in deep shit federally (if out govt cares any more) and are trying to self-police before they get regulated. That they say this and then won't really do anything. Who knows. But at least it got them to acknowledge there's a huge problem. Until they work on it in earnest, they are part of the unstoppable bullshit machine.

(I don't think less of people who didn't boycott. Just those who had bad takes on it. It's fine to say NO I WON'T BE SILENCED but not to make it about race. I'd boycott ESPN about Jemele if I didn't naturally avoid ESPN to begin with)

looking for a little hope just owls's Avatar
    I don't really know where to put this, but fuck Blossom. She's been insufferable for ages, but this is really some bullshit.

tl;dl

- she seems envious that she wasn't considered pretty enough for someone to want to sexually harass/assault
    - which... fuck that because it has nothing to do with looks. That's such a dangerous bullshit lie that only conventionally attractive women are victims.
    - focus on your intelligence and not your looks and no one will want to harass / rape you!
    - but really, keep your sexy side private. Cover yourself from head-to-toe and don't dare do anything as vulgar as flirt, or something that can be interpreted as flirted, you damn whores.

Mayim has always been problematic. I've really tried to like her, but she is incredibly Orthodox and that colors just about every opinion she has about anything.

That being said, fuck her for writing this appalling, victim-blaming, self-righteous bullshit.

Playing devils advocate here, bear with me. I feel like, at best, she was trying to ask the question who are women dressing for when they dress, put make up in, etc. Meaning, yeah, you may say you want to feel good about yourself, but where do those standards actually come from? I believe she's trying to get women to be introspective about the beauty standards that we subscribe to.

HOWEVER: like many people tweeted, it doesn't matter what you wear, you can still be harassed, fondled, etc. I got fondled in my BDUs (my camouflage) while in the Air Force by a civilian contractor.

She should totally keep her talk of beauty standards away from the HW scandal.

Martha Plimpton ripped the shit out of Bialik on Twitter. Worth checking out. The bit that bugged me the most is when she bragged about her sexual choices. Oh, fuck you. So if some woman has multiple partners and wears a sexy dress, it's understandable if Harvey rapes her? That's religion for ya. Apparently, right about now, she's gonna respond to the criticism on Facebook Live. My prediction: she digs her hole deeper.

In much better news from the NYT, Sarah Polley wrote an absolutely gorgeous op-ed about her perception of this whole thing. I would describe it as "elegant rage". My highest recommendation.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I love her and I miss her.

How Carrie Fisher stuck up for friend who was sexually assaulted

Fisher added to her pal, “I knew [the producer] would probably be there, so I went to his office and personally delivered a Tiffany’s box wrapped with the white bow. It was a cow tongue from [LA haunt] Jerry’s Famous Deli with a note that said, ‘If you ever touch my darling Heather or any other woman again, the next delivery will be something of yours in a much smaller box.’”