Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: The entertainment industry's unstoppable bullshit machine

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    That’s such crock, the relevant details have been summed up elsewhere, including in this thread, multiple times.

And someone did call it “just a bad date” two pages ago.

I’m assuming you’re referring to my comment. Clearly we’re not going to agree on this, because no matter how many times I read that write-up, my opinion doesn’t change. I can’t lump this situation in with the Weinsteins or the Spaceys or the Frankos. I completely understand being made to feel uncomfortable, being made to feel like all you are is a hole for fucking. But this particular story reads all too familiar to me. It doesn’t make Aziz a predator. It makes him sound like he has his head up his ass. And it tells me, beyond a doubt, that power will go anyone’s head. If anything, we need to address the fact that men think that just because they’re famous every woman wants to sleep with them.

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    I’m assuming you’re referring to my comment. Clearly we’re not going to agree on this, because no matter how many times I read that write-up, my opinion doesn’t change. I can’t lump this situation in with the Weinsteins or the Spaceys or the Frankos. I completely understand being made to feel uncomfortable, being made to feel like all you are is a hole for fucking. But this particular story reads all too familiar to me. It doesn’t make Aziz a predator. It makes him sound like he has his head up his ass. And it tells me, beyond a doubt, that power will go anyone’s head. If anything, we need to address the fact that men think that just because they’re famous every woman wants to sleep with them.
    This is where I think people are getting mixed up and confused.

No one said explicitly that Ansari is a predator, but what he did was at least assault adjacent (at least in my view). Should he go to jail for what he did? No, and nor would he. But - when someone postures themselves as Mr. Woke Bae, to hear that he chases young women around his apartment shoving his fingers down their throat is certainly alarming and we should expect better of our allies. We absolutely need to address how men treat women, in general, and I think that's why Grace's story is also important. Conversations around consent need to happen at the micro level, not just for when it spirals out of control like Weinstein. And then the claims that he didn't know any better? He's a 34 year old man WHO WROTE AN ADVICE BOOK ON SEX. He knew he was pushing it. He didn't care.

As far as the statement in bold, all I will say is that just because it is familiar doesn't make it right. In fact, it's pretty fucked up that this sort of behavior is considered "normal". Hasn't this sort of behavior been acceptable for too long? Should violent behavior be reduced to a "bad date"? A bad date is like...if someone has bad breath or doesn't tip or says they voted for Trump.

ETA: Lindy West wrote a fairly good take on this. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/17/o...metoo-sex.html