Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: The entertainment industry's unstoppable bullshit machine

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I don't think I can be surprised anymore.

Not Charlie.

He also repeatedly called the then-21-year-old late at night or early in the morning to describe his fantasies of her swimming naked in the Bellport pool as he watched from his bedroom, she said.
    Now picture this in his best interview voice.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken.

This news just hit MSNBC at the end of MTP Daily, where Katy Tur was leading a panel discussion on, of course, sexual harassment. She looked like the wind was knocked out of her. I understand that feeling. I did NOT see that one coming.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'm taking a moment of reflection now, thinking about all those women out there who were harassed and/or assaulted, spoke up, settled, and are now under gag orders. How many stories out there will we never, ever know?

My husband reminded me about this segment on John Oliver's show:

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I'm taking a moment of reflection now, thinking about all those women out there who were harassed and/or assaulted, spoke up, settled, and are now under gag orders. How many stories out there will we never, ever know?
    A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    My husband reminded me about this segment on John Oliver's show:

That came to my mind, as well. I guess no one should be surprised.

Charlie Rose has been fired from CBS.

https://t.co/XzOtKxqYNp

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Does it seem like most of the allegations are against liberals, or is that just the rantings of a Fox news lunatic? Like I know that all men can be equally offenders, but most of the newest allegations coming out seem to be coming out against actors, journalist, and politicians on the left?

ETA: I'm wondering about how the sphere these men run in might make it easier for women to report them? IDK, maybe the women they come in contact with are more open to feminist ideas and less weighed down by internalized misogyny and therefore more likely to feel empowered enough to report? Does that put too much blame on conservative women? My own purely anecdotal evidence is informing me of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    Does it seem like most of the allegations are against liberals, or is that just the rantings of a Fox news lunatic? Like I know that all men can be equally offenders, but most of the newest allegations coming out seem to be coming out against actors, journalist, and politicians on the left?
    The difference is that the people on the left are getting fired, and the Republicans literally don't care and there are no consequences for any of these guys. Like if Roy Moore were a Dem person he would have been forced to step down by now.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    It seems that there might be a dash of that going on. Maybe to distract from the tax bill. But if it is strategic, it's very stupid because that will backfire because right-wing heroes are no angels.

Or maybe it is genius. Like I said in the other thread, nothing matters any more. People either don't know what Trump said or don't care. If your fave is racist and sexist enough, you don't care.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I added more musings to that about how feminism might play a part in what seems to be a disproportionate trend in reporting.

ETA: I'm wondering about how the sphere these men run in might make it easier for women to report them? IDK, maybe the women they come in contact with are more open to feminist ideas and less weighed down by internalized misogyny and therefore more likely to feel empowered enough to report? Does that put too much blame on conservative women? My own purely anecdotal evidence is informing me of course.

That probably has something to do with it. I obviously can't speak for those women, but I think in general they are less (for lack of a better word) "woke" about these things and probably feel like if they were assaulted/harassed, they brought it on themselves somehow. I mean, that's the general conservative viewpoint is that women are "asking for it", from what I can tell. Sure, there are exceptions, but internalized misogyny is real and pervasive. Religion (especially more on the fundamentalist side) also plays a role. It's a complex issue without an easy answer. I think that right now, liberals are much more willing to accept cleaning up their side of the street. As a whole, we have a very long way to go. A very long way.