Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The entertainment industry's unstoppable bullshit machine

I can't believe they are already releasing a new remake of Spiderman. The old remake isn't even a decade old yet.

I agree, it makes absolutely NO sense to remake something that isn't even old. It's not like the the first one was a flop, either, so it's beyond me.

If that's not bad enough, I saw the phrase 'Batman reboot' float across a screen yesterday. I blinked, thought, "Seriously, they can't, not even Hollywood is that lazy," but went and had a quick google just in case.

Turns out they can and they are. I mean, just fuck off. I like Batman but fuck off and die, you pathetic, risk-averse, cash-mongering gits. As for Nolan, you'd think he'd be bored with that shit by now and want to make an original film, not keep churning out episodes of a WB franchaise.

Foxy, guess what came in at #1 in Mark Kermode's worst films of 2011? He really hated it. and I suspect I would too if you could ever persuade me to watch something that smells more of corporate product than movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiencade View Post
    I agree, it makes absolutely NO sense to remake something that isn't even old. It's not like the the first one was a flop, either, so it's beyond me.
    I also use Netflix (their top suggested film for me is Santa Sangre--which I am afraid to watch) and I also download, because Netflix doesn't have everything, so I know I'm not the best person to argue this:

The problem is with relevancy and a demand for immediacy and privacy. The only people the studios have to market to are the ones they are marketing to. (It's the same with theater. Most people I know don't want to see plays about being weird with horses nor Spiderman, but given the choice, the average person would choose Spiderman.)

The local art house theater, E Street Cinema, did a midnight showing of Jurassic Park. It sold out. It was their first sell out show in a long time.

I guess this is why Netflix is doing Arrested Development. More than half their target audience has subscribed.

I'd say there are two sides who are angry at the industry, the side who wants more Jurassic Park and the other that wants more arty films. They will only market to the people who will still watch their films.

And let's not forget how the industry won't let movies build up a following anymore. We may have seen the last of the "sleeper hit." Movies are yanked out of theaters faster than ever if they don't produce untold millions on their first weekend. Smaller films don't even have a chance to find an audience anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkleMotion View Post
    And let's not forget how the industry won't let movies build up a following anymore. We may have seen the last of the "sleeper hit." Movies are yanked out of theaters faster than ever if they don't produce untold millions on their first weekend. Smaller films don't even have a chance to find an audience anymore.
    Maybe. Do you mean a cult following like LOTR? Because that was an anomaly that has only been done with a couple films (Star Wars and Birth of Nation was the biggest with its re-KKK founding). Or cult following like Clerks had?

There are contemporary cult films (Nightwatch/Daywatch, Jan Švankmajer films) and certainly television still has its cults (sci-fi stuff like Dr. Who and Battlestar Galactica). Most of what had been sleeper hits (Slumdog Millionaire, et al) are also strange moments. Films like π and Requiem for a Dream got their cult followings from release to DVD. It might be harder now since most video shops have shut down, but if you like a film, tout it! Melancholia may never be a cult film, but that's because everyone and their mother (minus me, actually) saw Antichrist, and most everyone saw it on DVD/Blue Ray/netflix.

I know this is a First World problem, but what actually irritates me is the HDCP encoding. We don't actually own copies of anything when it comes to digitization.

Movies will always develop a cult following but those can take years and decades to procure. I mean where a movie starts out fairly modest at the box office but word of mouth starts getting around and by the end of its theater run it's doing millions more. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was an example of that. By the time it was released on DVD it had people clamoring for it. I think those days may be done since films aren't given a chance to catch on. Then again, more and more films are just plain garbage so that has something to do with it as well. Obviously when there's not much worth seeing, people will stay away.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I've not been in a movie theater in a looong time. I refuse to pay $10 plus parking fees to see some middens that's coming out on DVD in the next few weeks/months. Also? I'd like to be offered the choice to order a small soda with a small bag of popcorn and not have some enormous drink and container costing another $10 foisted upon me because the venue refuses to provide alternatives beyond large and larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    I've not been in a movie theater in a looong time. I refuse to pay $10 plus parking fees to see some middens that's coming out on DVD in the next few weeks/months. Also? I'd like to have the choice to order a small soda with a small bag of popcorn and not have some enormous drink and container costing another $10 foisted upon me because the venue refuses to offer alternatives beyond large and larger.
    There's a Target across from the movie theater I use, so sometimes I stop there first and buy the Popcorn/Soda combo for $2. I put the drink and popcorn in separate (large) ziplocs and put them in a flat-bottom purse. THEN I pay $10.50 for a movie! Thank goodness I don't have to pay for parking.

I still love going to the movies, but I agree that the expense has gone from ridiculous to worse. If we buy our snacks at the theater, it's nearly $50 for T and I to see a movie. Our theater still serves a small bag of popcorn, but it's about the size of my hand and costs $6.

I go to the actual movies maybe once or twice a year. I'm not a huge movie buff to begin with, and with all the total crap they've been churning out for the past few years, it just doesn't seem worth the price of a ticket or the hassle.

I like getting the kids packs at the theater. Usually they're under $6 for a decent bit of popcorn and an actually small drink. Still crazy markup, but at least you get fruit snacks, too. Aww yeah.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    There's a Target across from the movie theater I use, so sometimes I stop there first and buy the Popcorn/Soda combo for $2. I put the drink and popcorn in separate (large) ziplocs and put them in a flat-bottom purse. THEN I pay $10.50 for a movie! Thank goodness I don't have to pay for parking.

I still love going to the movies, but I agree that the expense has gone from ridiculous to worse. If we buy our snacks at the theater, it's nearly $50 for T and I to see a movie. Our theater still serves a small bag of popcorn, but it's about the size of my hand and costs $6.
    er. I try not to patronize Target, but that wasn't really my point anyway.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post

Foxy, guess what came in at #1 in Mark Kermode's worst films of 2011? He really hated it. and I suspect I would too if you could ever persuade me to watch something that smells more of corporate product than movie.
    ha. brilliant. i enjoyed his critiques! he's spot on though. it's pure fucking assholery. i think i want to read his book.

so batman reboot. aren't we still working on the dark knight series? fucking hell--batman has been done so many times (michael keaton, christian bale, val kilmer, george clooney)....who's next, robert pattison?

My husband and I have had 2 gift tickets for the local Century Theaters for about a year now (got them last xmas, now that I think about it) and we have yet to use them! We're currently contemplating seeing "TinTin" but I hate going to the movies! Not because I don't like seeing the films on the big screen (I LOVE that) but because I FUCKING HATE having to sit in that theater with a bunch of fucking morons who don't know how to behave themselves... Why the hell would I pay/use a gift card to spend 2+ hours sitting in the dark and listening to some inconsiderate asshole behind me who can't shut the fuck up?! And don't get me started on people who bring their unruly little brats to the movies!

To sum up: too expensive and too annoying. :S

plus, most movies are crap
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I go to the movies quite often - probably twice a month on average I think - and I basically can only do that because I get student discount (although, even with discount, I'm still paying about $14) and we don't have anything like Netflix here. So if I don't go to the movies, I have to buy the DVD. I NEVER buy food at the theatre and thank fuck I don't like popcorn, so the temptation to get some upon smelling it doesn't happen

A new movie theatre has recently opened up in my area which is catering to an older audience so I hope that they will do more arthouse films rather than blockbuster type films. They are also only showing films during the day and very early evening - I don't think it will be open any later than 7pm. They have done this on the premise that they are trying to attract a very particular audience - the retirees who make up a good portion of the community - and those people don't want to see a film that will finish at ten. It will be interesting to see how it goes, as there are two multiplexes in the area too which stick to mainstream fare. I really hope people get out and support a theatre that is designed for their tastes and lifestyle. Depending on their choice of movies, I will definitely check it out since I am lucky enough to have time off during the day.

Also, I can't believe they are already doing a new Superman. I have lost count of how many people I have bitched about this with I sincerely hope that all the chatter about a continuation of the Batman series is just that - chatter - and after Nolan's trilogy is done they just walk away for a long, long while.