Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nature photography

Nature photography

Animals, plants and so on and so forth. Post them all here.

To start things off here are couple of moths that have found their way into my house recently:

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

The second moth is a beautiful color. It looks like a pale bluish green on my screen - is that really what color it was?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBork View Post
    The second moth is a beautiful color. It looks like a pale bluish green on my screen - is that really what color it was?
    Yeah, that sounds about right. My bathroom has pretty bad light so the colour balance and exposure aren't great. The moths vary in colour quite a bit and tend to fade as they age. There is a decent picture of a Small Emerald moth taken under better light over at UK Moths
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Here's a dragonfly that landed next to me at an outdoor cafe in Silverdale last autumn:

*subscribes* I'm lovin' this thread already!

Helen, great capture of the dragonfly. I always have a hard time capturing them because they take off so quickly when I get close. I had seen one a few months ago with a black and white checkerboard wing pattern and I never could get close enough.

Yeah, I'm usually pretty rubbish at capturing stuff like that because it doesn't stay still and I don't have macro lenses or anything really suited to photographing small, complicated things. However, that particular specimen actually sat there less than three feet away from me for about five minutes before taking off, allowing me to capture it with little more than a crappy point and shoot.

It's a great shot. I love dragonflies. I've got some I've taken somewhere but will have to dig through my archives[1].

1. giant disorganised folder.

This here is an oldie, taken with my first digital camera, but I still love it. I had went to a butterfly conservatory and it was lovely. I'll have to go back next time I'm home.

I'm looking through my folders for nature shots now too. I have lots of decent tree/landscape shots, but very little of the animal world, sadly.

Here's a not great quality but certainly cute snap of goldfinches on the nyjer seed feeder last winter. They are one of only a couple of species that stay for a long time on the feeders. The other is greenfinches, but they are less regular vistors than the goldies, who come every day, sometimes multiple times.

Found some Dragonflies. Taken in September 2006 according to the tags.

I love the electric blue ones. We sometimes see them in our garden around the pond.

Anyway, here's a picture of a cute local pest:

We're having a war of attrition over the bird food. Mostly, he's winning. Little bugger.

I love squirrels, they're so cheeky. The ones in the parks in London are so tame, they'll sit on your knee or shoulder and take food out of your hand. So cute!

They're hilarious. It's funny when you come down in the morning and wonder why your hanging bird feeder is wearing a fur coat they you realise that it's a squirrel hanging upside down and wrapping itself around the cylinder. I can't help laughing at them and I wish them no harm - I just wish they'd stop eating me out of house and home. I've tried protecting the feeders with plastic bottles over the top to make it hard for them to cling but they even find ways around that - leaping from odd angles, chewing around the bottles to shorten them. Bastards.

Anyway, found a few more bird pics. I present the ever-present blue tit and its acrobatics:

I usually don't shoot insects, but this little fellow was too darned cute and was just begging to have his photo taken.

OooooH!

The addition of the red detailing on the leaf provided perfect contrast against the yellow of his body!