Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Nature photography

Beautiful!

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Tiny frog (coin is 5p piece) I found in my garden while mowing the lawn.

There were some bigger ones too but they were too hoppy to get a picture.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Nice, those contrasting colors!
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    A Savannah Sparrow (I think).

This is what's known as a lucky shot.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Crap photo as I didn't expect to see a beast pottering around on my road early one morning and didn't have time to get better settings on my camera before she ran away.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Joining the thread now that I have a decent camera!

I was able to experiment with it last week while hiking.

I'm excited! (clearly)

Foxes in the woods opposite my house.

A bit soft as shot at maximum zoom through my grubby kitchen window.

This is so beautiful.

Rosemary beetle.

Cropped phone camera shot doesn't do justice to the colour and shininess of this little guy!

Been meaning to contribute for over a year, but am not really a photographer and so my stuff is probably not up to par. Mostly because I make them with my phone. I just take hundreds and hope one will turn out allright. However, I do visit some rarely visited sites with rare stuff to be seen. Mostly orchids florishing in all their wild, wild beauty, restrain me. So here are some pics from past and my current Pyrenean trips;

Backdrop;

"Common" wild orchids and butterflies

Neottia Nidus-Avis

"Bird's Nest Orchid". So this is an orchid that doesn't... do... photosynthesis, it doesn't turn carbondioxide back to oxygen at all. Which is extremely rare for a plant, it never turns green because of it. It looks just rotten in all its glory all year round. It lives in the most ancient forests only, as a parasite, living from fungi. It bizarrely almost glows in the cool shade.

Platanthera Montana

"Greater Butterfly Orchid". They are not sure whether it is a seperate species, but after encountering numerous of "Lesser Butterfly Orchids", which are quite small, I suddenly see THIS growing up to and over my waist length. Largest orchid I ever saw, or will ever see. Also, it was right on a track where humongous cows regularly walk, I could tell from the dung. I almost started camping beside this thing to protect it forever.

^ Fantastic! I love the lizard! I think your moth is a cinnabar moth. We have them here too.
    Last edited by beanstew; 06-26-2017 at 08:02 PM.

The butterflies up here are crazy! There is small black ones that follow you on your trail forever, and also swallowtails and spanish moon moths. Can't easily photograph m though.

Gorgeous photos! I wasn't even aware that orchids existed outside of hot and humid climates. That non-photosynthesizing specimen is particularly interesting, if not gorgeous.

In that photo looking down at the lake, is that the trail to the left? Looks steep. And I want to know the lizard's real name.

So how long were you out for?

Still out here, until july 9. It is actually extremely hot out here - the south or "midi" is nothing like northern France, everything closes down in the afternoon temporarily because hotness. Pyrenees are home to about 60 kinds of orchids. But different kinds of orchids grow everywhere, some rare greenish orchids are commonly found in marshy secluded places in the NLs too, for example.

Very unpredictable weather in mountain here though; the heat often makes way for mists, thunderstorms and heavy rains. Still waiting to find the perfect day to do the Canigou, currently not reommended. My daily hikes have elevation differences way over a 1,000 metres. 0_o.