Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Politics (General Thread)

Fuck sake.

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAE View Post
    Fuck sake.
    +1.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Hundreds of rightwing and libertarian activists expected to gather in London to press for deeper cuts to public spending

Hundreds of pro-cuts activists are expected to descend on Westminster on Saturday to "rally against debt", in the first sign of a radical Tea Party-style mass movement to challenge the anti-cuts lobby.

The protest will be attended by an alliance of rightwing and libertarian activists including members of the TaxPayers' Alliance (TPA), the anti-Europe UK Independence party and the Freedom Association, a libertarian pressure group set up by Norris McWhirter, better known for co-founding the Guinness Book of Records.

More than 1,000 people have indicated online that they plan to attend and many said they believed the government was not cutting public spending deeply enough. The Conservative MPs Priti Patel and Bill Cash and the Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, are due to make speeches, and Toby Young, the broadcaster and free school pioneer, said he would attend.
    Follow the comedy on twitter #rallyagainstdebt
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Revolting.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar

Soooo.... www.sexymp.co.uk

UGH at shouty death penalty mongs.

*tries not to throw things at TV every time Paul "Guido Fawkes" Staines turns up*

This blog post as got Guido's number.

Hanging Referendums Are For Pussies - Real Men Want To Bring Back Crucifixion

Guido Fawkes is confusing me. Hes campaigning for the death penalty on the grounds that the public want it... And heres my confusion. Guido has also long claimed to be a libertarian. But libertarianism and democracy conflict, simply because public opinion is on many issues very illiberal. Chris at Stumbling and Mumbling

Chris finds the internet libertarians' campaign to bring back hanging surprising. Luckily, I'm on hand to clear up any doubts and set the story straight. Here it is -

The libertarians - people who, remember, want to see the state massively disempowered - are campaigning to hand the state the power of life and death because they are hacks and because their "libertarianism" is 100% purest bullshit.

Consider the following possibilities: either a) A bunch of self-declared anti-statists have somehow forgotten the core tenets of their own political philosophy or b) A bunch of twats who don't want to pay any tax will support literally anything that moves political debate in an infinitely stupider direction.

Recall the Swiss minaret ban, if you can. You'd think a measure that selectively cracks down on the property rights of individuals would be anathema to small government types. Not so - popular opinion on taxation and public services may be tantamount to tyranny, but whenever the people speak on a subject that penalises one of their bugbears and, crucially, annoys lefties, you can hear the champagne corks popping from a mile away.

I can already hear the objections that really, it's a bit more complicated than that. It's not more complicated than that. When you're talking about people whose entire worldview can be reasonably reduced to Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money, it's a major error to expect consistency in anything other than their tendency to be as much of a dick as possible about absolutely everything.

^ Spot on. They right are car crashing the embers of an economic recovery, they've failed to get vengeance on Gadaffi, and they've seen Murdoch humbled, no wonder they've leapt on the death penalty even earlier than expected. Their panicked need for urgent distractions is so great we'll probably be at war with France by the end of the year.

ETA: Hearteningly, the petition to retain the ban on capital punishment has approaching twice as many votes as the petition to return to the dark ages.

Great stuff from the ever excellent Charlie Brooker on capital punishment

The death penalty debate refuses to die a bit like 17-year-old Willie Francis, who in 1946 was strapped into a chair at Louisiana State Penitentiary and electrocuted, only to wind up screaming for mercy from within his leather hood, selfishly upsetting several onlookers in the process.

The United Kingdom hasn't hanged anyone since 1964, when Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans were simultaneously sent to the gallows, in an audacious end-of-season finale. In the intervening years, the capital punishment argument has resurfaced now and then, usually in the wake of an especially harrowing murder trial, when the mob's a bit twitchy. But it has always been a bit of a non-debate.

Proponents of the death penalty "nooselovers" or "danglefans", as they like to be known often come across as a bit old-fashioned, as though they're opposed to progress in all its forms, and might as well be arguing in favour of fewer crisp flavours and slower Wi-Fi. This fusty impression isn't helped when every news article about hanging is illustrated with vintage black and white photographs of Derek Bentley and Ruth Ellis, as if tying a rope around someone's neck and dropping them through a trapdoor in the hope of causing a fatal bilateral fracture of the C2 vertebrae is the kind of behaviour that belongs in the past.
    strong stuff

Not exactly political but probably better off here than in news and other nonsense as it is relevant to what is going on here.

Hundreds of police officers caught illegally accessing criminal records computer

Half of the offences uncovered, including some accused of passing information to criminals, took place in the last three years - suggesting the abuse of the system is on the increase.

The figures show 84 police officers have been disciplined for illegal use of the database, which contains information on millions of people, their property and the movements of vehicles across the country in the last 36 months.

A further 22 staff have also been caught wrongly accessing information in the same period.

The revelation comes after a police officer was arrested in relation to leaks during the Scotland Yard phone-hacking investigation. The 51-year-old detective constable was arrested at work on Thursday. He has been suspended.

The Metropolitan Police has disclosed that 142 police officers and 66 staff have been disciplined for misusing the national computer system, known as the PNC, in the last 10 years.
    Of these 29 have been sacked and 16 prosecuted over their actions.

The computer system contains five highly sensitive database:

* QUEST (Querying Using Enhanced Search Techniques) - enables the search of the names database to identify suspects including physical descriptions and personal features.

* VODS (Vehicle Online Descriptive Search) - allows users to search the vehicles database using registration numbers, postcodes and colour details to narrow the list to potential suspect vehicles.

* ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) - a nationwide network of cameras which takes a visual image of number plate of vehicle moving around the country, alerting police to any that are of interest.

* Property - the PNC can search for items which are lost and found

* CRIMELINK - An enhanced, web-based version of the Comparative Case Analysis Tool which can be used to solve serious serial-type crimes by searching for similarities in incidents helping investigators to identify patterns and links.

Figures on wider abuses of police computer systems released last year revealed that 400 police staff had been disciplined for similar offences across the UK.

And a survey of senior police officers found most believed abuse of police systems occurred 'frequently' and called for greater audit and controls on police computer resources.

In 2009 a West Midlands police officer, Mark Turner, was jailed for 12 months after it was revealed he had passed force records on to known criminals.

In 2005 a former detective turned freelance journalist John Ross was acquitted by a jury at Inner London Crown Court of "aiding and abetting wilful misconduct in public office".

Mr Ross, a former Flying Squad detective sergeant dismissed from the force following corruption allegations, had handed over 200 to detective constable David Dougall for a package of documents which allegedly included details of anti-terror operations. Mr Ross successfully argued the cash was a loan.

DC Dougall had handed Mr Ross printouts from a police website which disclosed the details of two anti-terror operations which the court heard could have compromised intelligence sources and police methodology.

Releasing the new figures following a Freedom of Information request, the Metropolitan Police said: "The Metropolitan Police Service takes any allegations of wrong doing by officers or staff very seriously.

"Where appropriate, allegations of criminal behaviour or misconduct are investigated thoroughly by officers from the Directorate of Professional Standards.

"Investigations may also be managed or carried out independently by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

"All Metropolitan Police police officers and police staff are expected to adhere to the MPS Information Code of Conduct which sets out the policy on the use of MPS Information and information communication and technology systems."
    I really really fucking corrupt filth. Cunts!

^ Makes this 30ft high wall projection from a couple of years ago spring back to mind

Assuming there are a few Private Eye fans in this thread and given the importance of satire in politics:

Private Eye: The First 50 Years

18 October 2011 – 8 January 2012

Studio Gallery
    Rooms 17a and 18a
    Free admission

To mark the 50th anniversary of the notorious magazine Private Eye, the V&A will hold a display looking at this particularly British phenomenon. It will explore how the magazine has used graphic satire and humour to accompany serious investigative journalism. Since it was founded in 1961, Private Eye has employed generations of great British cartoonists. The display will highlight contributions by many of the talented and influential artists most closely associated with the magazine including Willie Rushton, Ralph Steadman and Gerald Scarfe. It will also feature a timeline of the famous ‘speech-bubble’ covers and an evocation of the private Eye editor’s office overflowing with papers, artwork and press clippings.
    Sounds ace! I'll definitely be checking that out.

The Eye also have a book out:

Pre-order the 38,867th best-selling book in the UK RIGHT NOW!

Private Eye: The First 50 Years, an A-Z will be in all good bookshops on 20th September, and bad ones a few days afterwards.

But you can pre-order your copy – and immediately render the title of this post out-of-date – at a special offer price from Amazon right now.

Here’s what everyone [who's read the blurb on the back cover] is saying about it:

PRIVATE EYE is Britain’s first, most successful and indeed only fortnightly satirical magazine.

Founded in 1961, it has somehow managed to survive for half a century during which it has consistently entertained, informed and irritated its readers.

Over five turbulent decades it has developed its unique mix of jokes and journalism, comedy and campaigning, gags and gossip, laughter and libel (that’s enough alliteration – Ed) to cover the public life of the nation. From political plots to royal revelations, from City scandal to media manipulation, from legal lunacy to municipal madness. (I said that’s enough – Ed)

This anniversary A-Z takes you through everything you always wanted to know about the magazine and its extraordinary roll-call of contributors. Here are the writers and reporters, the humorists and the hacks, the cartoonists and the columnists, the artists and the analysts (This is your last warning – Ed) including:

CHRISTOPHER BOOKER
    CRAIG BROWN
    PETER COOK
    BARRY FANTONI
    PAUL FOOT
    MICHAEL HEATH
    IAN HISLOP
    BARRY HUMPHRIES
    RICHARD INGRAMS
    NICK NEWMAN
    WILLIE RUSHTON
    AUBERON WAUGH
    JOHN WELLS
    FRANCIS WHEEN
    and many, many more…

With a wealth of never-before-seen photos, unpublished cartoons, archive material and exclusive interviews with contributors past and present, this is insider Adam Macqueen’s view of a unique institution. Yes, Britain’s funniest, foremost, fortnightly (You’re Fired – Ed).
    Ordered!

My parents still get me the Annual every year for christmas because they know I'll be chuckling at it, getting every issue