Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfume!

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Mostly I just grab whatever sample I have laying around and spray it on. I would LOVE to have a signature scent.

I'm also trying to find an amazing perfume for my wedding day. Apparently you are supposed to wear a new scent and then only use it for things like anniversaries/special events after that so you and your other half get a scent memory of the day. I think someone might have made that up but quite a cute idea.
    If I ever got married, I would totally do that! It's a great idea.

About 9 years ago I decided that I HAD TO HAVE a signature scent. I spent hours and hours over the period of about a week trying on a bunch of different fragrances, and that is how I came across Escada. It was just right for me. I actually started with one called Sentiment, but when I found Magnetism, I knew that was my fragrance soulmate, and it has definitely become my signature amongst my friends and family

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    I'm kinda a boring hippie when it comes to perfume.

Depending on my mood, I wear:

Rose Oil
    I love that Rose oil from the Body Shop. My ex brought it for me, since he had a thing for the scent of roses, but the Body Shop here no longer sell it

Quote Originally Posted by lexa View Post
    My favourite perfume is Gucci Rush. I can't find another one that smells better than this.
    That is a gorgeous perfume! My sister wears it though, so I stay away (plus, it never smelt as good on me as on her).

Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    I don't wear perfume on a daily basis anymore. I find that smelling the same scent all day long ends up bothering me, but I will wear it on special occasions. I stick to Escada perfumes like Fullofwish.
    Yay, another Escada girl! I've never known anyone else who wears their perfumes.

I can't wait for this cold I have to fuck off because I want to run off and try some of the perfumes in this thread. I was at the shops this morning and saw a few I recognised from here, but I can't smell anything at the moment so it was useless to try.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    ^
    I used to wear only Escada for a number of years in my early 20s. They had such fun scents, and the bottles were so pretty. The only perfume bottle I've ever managed to completely use was Ibiza Hippie.

Lolita Lempicka Forbidden Flower

Absinth flower, strawberry leaf, mimosa stem, peony, violet, aniseed flower, almond musk, morello cherry musk

I cannot in any way describe what this smells like, but I love it. I also have L de Lolita, but I have to be in a certain mood for that one, since it's so beachy. This one I can wear every single day. And even better, I bought my bottle at TJ Maxx for some ridiculously cheap price.
    Last edited by Churumbela; 07-24-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy ZBORKnak View Post
    That reminds me of a lady from my graduate school days. There was a true blue hippie from the 70s in my classes. She didn't bathe often enough and when it was super hot and humid, she would come to class and it was all we could do not to barf. The worst part wasn't even that...it was the smell of her heated up oily hair/skin combined with fucking patchouli essential oil that she wore in heaping amounts.
    Speaking as a true blue hippie from the 70s (and a minister's granddaughter) I am so tired of "smelly hippie" remarks. It seems to me like the last acceptable prejudice nowadays. Hello - our mothers who belonged to "The Greatest Generation" went to the hairdresser once every three months and waited as long as humanly possible to wash out their do's. Their children (at least those who didn't get the chance to attend the 3-day-love/mudfest at Woodstock) were considered weird for taking so many showers. True, we were going for "the natural look" but we had to wash ourselves every day to get it.

^Aye. I've never actually come across a 'smelly hippie' myself. I have come across way too many women who stink offensively of some synthetic fruity-flowery crap to the point of casuing allergies, headaches and nausea though. And not indoors either. When I'm walking outside and I get assaulted by your smell drifting downwind from you ten metres away it's time to cut back on the scent layering experience.

As for perfumes, I have a Berkeley Square Lime and Clary Sage:

'Inspired by the elegant 1920s Berkeley Square’s specially blended Lime & Clarysage is a zesty citrus fragrance with a top note of Lime and Mandarin on a herbal base of fragrant Clarysage – a very English affair'

It smells nice and fresh but not overpowering.

I also like Origins Ginger Essence - I hate most ginger based perfumes as they smell like baked goods and make me feel sick - but that one is fresh and glorious like actual fresh cut ginger root. I haven't had any since about 2003 due to the cost and the fact it never lasted very long at all on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Speaking as a true blue hippie from the 70s (and a minister's granddaughter) I am so tired of "smelly hippie" remarks. It seems to me like the last acceptable prejudice nowadays. Hello - our mothers who belonged to "The Greatest Generation" went to the hairdresser once every three months and waited as long as humanly possible to wash out their do's. Their children (at least those who didn't get the chance to attend the 3-day-love/mudfest at Woodstock) were considered weird for taking so many showers. True, we were going for "the natural look" but we had to wash ourselves every day to get it.
    That's interesting. I'd never thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by gork von braun View Post
    ^Aye. I've never actually come across a 'smelly hippie' myself. I have come across way too many women who stink offensively of some synthetic fruity-flowery crap to the point of casuing allergies, headaches and nausea though. And not indoors either. When I'm walking outside and I get assaulted by your smell drifting downwind from you ten metres away it's time to cut back on the scent layering experience.

As for perfumes, I have a Berkeley Square Lime and Clary Sage:

'Inspired by the elegant 1920s Berkeley Square’s specially blended Lime & Clarysage is a zesty citrus fragrance with a top note of Lime and Mandarin on a herbal base of fragrant Clarysage – a very English affair'

It smells nice and fresh but not overpowering.

I also like Origins Ginger Essence - I hate most ginger based perfumes as they smell like baked goods and make me feel sick - but that one is fresh and glorious like actual fresh cut ginger root. I haven't had any since about 2003 due to the cost and the fact it never lasted very long at all on me.

I love the packaging on the Berkeley Square Lime and Clary Sage perfume. The description of it sounds perfect for summer too. For summer I tend towards citrus or herby-woodsy scents. On really hot days I break out either my Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia, (which smells like fresh cut mint, tangerine and green tea) or Floris of London Pink Grapefruit, another woodsy-based citrus. Really sweet bakery-type perfumes give me a headache on a hot day. I want something crisp and slightly astringent to counteract the heat.

I agree that Origin Ginger Essence is way expensive for such a short lasting scent. I usually wait until Origins has its Friends and Family sale here and order the intensified version then. The Ginger Essence Intensified version has the same scent, but lasts longer than the original. A single spritz lasts most of the day on me and a bottle of this will easily last me the whole year.

Erin - yes, TJMaxx is awesome for finding great deals on perfumes. It has allowed me to be more experimental on dept. store fragrances, without breaking the bank. I found my Armani Priv Luxe Eau de Jade there for less than $15 - normal retail was $80. All sort of amazing scents there at much less than I would pay at Nordies or Macys. Makeup alley's fragrance board has clued me into some great fragrances that are showing up at TJMaxx, that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

That Guerlain sounds amazing, Suz. Even the name is fantastic!

I keep an eye out at my local TJMaxx for the Guerlain Aqua series, because they do show up from time to time and at a much better price point than Sephora's. I like the Aqua series, because they tend to be lighter scents than Guerlain's regular perfumes (Shalimar, Mitsouko, Samsara etc.) and easier to wear. Plus the bottles look lovely on my dresser.

Yeah, I have been known to buy a perfume just for the sake of the bottle. That was the story with the Forbidden Flower -- I like Lolita Lempicka's packaging but had never actually smelled the perfume before buying it. Happy coincidence that I really liked the perfume. Plus the outer cardboard package had been tampered with, so it was on clearance for like $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Churumborka View Post
    Yeah, I have been known to buy a perfume just for the sake of the bottle. That was the story with the Forbidden Flower -- I like Lolita Lempicka's packaging but had never actually smelled the perfume before buying it. Happy coincidence that I really liked the perfume. Plus the outer cardboard package had been tampered with, so it was on clearance for like $10.
    I am a sucker for great packaging, but sometimes it backfires. I picked up a bottle of SJP's Covet just for the bottle, when it was on sale there. A review for it at Makeup alley pretty much sums up my feelings on it:

A woodland elf eats a Hershey's Bliss Dark Chocolate bar and then farts on a fern.

The price has to be pretty good for me to risk buying without smelling.

I'm just going to say it: I love the packaging for Katy Perry's "Purr."

I have no idea what it smells like, but the bottle is darling. Apparently Avon sold similar bottles back in the day.

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    My absolute favorite scent is Flower by Kenzo - musky, slightly floral but not overly so, warm and sexy, but I'm out of it & don't have the money to buy anymore at the moment. I wear Couture Couture by Juicy quite frequently, and always get complements on it.
    The Lavanila rollerball set is another favorite and I layer several of them (like the vanilla coconut (coconut, tahitian tiare flower and madagascar vanilla), with the vanilla grapefruit (grapefruit, sandalwood, lime, madagascar vanilla)) for a nice summery, warm and fresh scent.
    Suck it, Shawn.

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. K. B. Cuddlefish View Post
    I'm just going to say it: I love the packaging for Katy Perry's "Purr."

I have no idea what it smells like, but the bottle is darling. Apparently Avon sold similar bottles back in the day.
    Yes, Avon did have a kitty shaped bottle a long time ago. My mom was briefly an Avon Rep when I was very little and she had a full size of it in her sample case. If i remember correctly it was light brown and was covered in a fuzzy, velour like material.
    Suck it, Shawn.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Carbuncle's Avatar

So I ended up ordering a sample of this based on my attraction to the distinctive cedar notes in Versace Woman. Mitsouko is a highly regarded perfume among perfume buffs and is a famous example of chypre, a category of perfume with woody basenotes. On my first try, I thought I was going to dislike it. When you sniff it immediately upon application it has that distinctive chemical reek of other older perfumes like Chanel no 5, which i didn't like (i may revisit that one someday). I sniffed it doubtfully for a few minutes afterward, unsure of whether this was going to end up smelling soapy/old ladylike. It wore off quickly because I was doing a lot of cooking/washing that day. I was undecided on it until the second application. This time I applied more liberally to get a better handle on the scent. After the initial chemical reek, it began sharpening to a juicy peach and jasmine, and then! and then! the some of the cinnamon/oakmoss/wood notes came forward to round out the fruit/flower notes, and I began to see what the big deal was.

Some perfume writer apparently described Mitsouko as "plush, troubling, and golden." That is as apt a description as any. Floral/fruit notes often threaten to turn the perfume into an unappealing sugary mess for me, but it's striking to note how this perfume's sweeter notes are not only tempered by the woody ones, but work together with them to create a very delicate and specific ambivalence that conveys (to me at least) a cerebral, pensive, complex mood. I tried the EDT and am told that the EDP is way superior. We'll see if I ever get a bottle, but for now it's fun playing with my sample.