Page 222 of 225 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 3367

Thread: Lana Del Rey

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    I'm going to defend Lana a bit. She doesn't need it and I don't need to do it but I just want to get something off my chest.

Lana reminds me of those artists or musicians who just have this compulsion to create and create some more. We know she's very prolific. So, I think a lot of the songs from the album have just been a natural progression for her. Which is a good thing. But, and this is a big BUT. This is her first time heading into new musical/lyrical territory. All of her previous albums may have variations to them but they all dealt with her making sense of her own world.

And with Lust for Life, she's trying something new. I agree, she doesn't always hit the 'political storms' on their head. But does she need to? It's her interpretation of what she sees and hears and feels.

Yes, she comes from an affluent background but that's what I always loved about her. I love the whole 'poor little rich girl' vibe she's been doing.

She's changing it up a bit. She's growing up and this time she's a bit more annoyed. I love what she's doing. It's not a massive shift, musically and lyrically but there's progression and we should cut her some slack.

Peace.
    Last edited by Father Lucifer; 08-09-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I am not, in fact, bashing Lana! I hope it's pretty clear that I actually love her work and just have very mixed feelings about Lust for Life as a record. Given how so much of the press campaign around this record was "Lana goes political", I'm just very disappointed in how vacuous her new lyrical themes are. Also, I don't want anyone thinking I'm attacking Lana for being affluent and privileged, but just disappointed that she seems entirely unwilling to look past her own sheltered experience when addressing a topic that is actually all about looking past yourself.

I mean, whether or not they're about her stretching her lyrical legs, the lyrics aren't good or above critique. I'm not going to pretend that novel for Lana is the same thing as actually good political lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Strongly disagree with you there, seeing as PJ actively denied it. Regardless of the impact the records have had on the music industry and feminist movement, neither the lyrical content or intent can be labelled as feminist or political.

eta; would love to discuss this in detail with you in PJ forum
    A work can be feminist and about feminism even if the creator doesn't identify as feminist or identify the work as feminist, if it's explicitly about leveling relationships between the sexes and exploring the fragilities of gender roles - which tracks like "Dress", "Sheela-na-gig", "Snake", "Man-Size", "50ft Queenie" etc are. But yeah, would love to discuss this with you in the PJ forum!

^^ I didn't think you were Lana bashing

It's also a matter of taste and opinion. I think some of the lyrics are pretty good on some of those 'political' tracks. But there are some clunkers.

Completely failed trying to get a ticket for one of the Terminal 5 shows in NY. If anyone has an extra, please let me know

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-12-2017 at 04:16 PM.

^ That's not new, but it is a fascinating read.
    Last edited by Hannah.; 08-12-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: came across as really harsh haha

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah. View Post
    ^ That's not new.
    It's less than a month old, and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else in this thread. I thought it might be of some interest to people who hadn't read it before.
    Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-12-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: It's good not to be a dick to people who point things out.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Suggestion: LDR forum

Does Lana have the back catalog to warrant an entire forum's worth of discussion? I worry that it will become as redundant as Gaga's, although if I had to choose between the two I'd definitely go with Lana.

I love Lana. But don't think she needs her own forum. I'm hoping Gaga releases some new music and gives us a reason to keep her forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah. View Post
    Does Lana have the back catalog to warrant an entire forum's worth of discussion? I worry that it will become as redundant as Gaga's, although if I had to choose between the two I'd definitely go with Lana.
    I don't know about that. The woman just released her first album in 2012, and already has five studio albums, and a number of other contributions. That's almost an album a year. There aren't many other relatively new artists who are that prolific. I would totally vote to pull the Gaga forum and replace it with an LDR forum, or just add an LDR forum. I think she's going to be around for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Suggestion: LDR forum
    I don't mind a Gaga forum, but yes - A Lana forum is a must!

Lana has four proper albums (BTD, UV, HM, LFL), plus an EP (Paradise). Gaga also has four proper albums (Fame, BTW, ArtPop, Joanne), plus an EP (Fame Monster).

They also have a lot of other goodies: Lana's pre-fame albums (Sirens, Lizzie Grant) and a TON of bonus/unreleased/soundtrack songs. Gaga has her Tony Bennett stuff and acting work.

Sure, Gaga is more famous, but I'd say they are equal in terms of output.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

PS: Change is slowly becoming one of my favorite LDR songs. From producer Rick Nowels:

“Change” really touches me. We were mastering the album and had to turn it into the label the next day. Lana called me that afternoon and said that she had one more statement to make for the album and that she wanted to record a new song that night. That song turned out to be “Change”. We started it at 8 p.m. and by 2 a.m. the record was done. We knew it could only be a voice/piano song because that was all the time we had. I think it’s a gem on the album."
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruthSeeker View Post
    I don't know about that. The woman just released her first album in 2012, and already has five studio albums, and a number of other contributions. That's almost an album a year. There aren't many other relatively new artists who are that prolific. I would totally vote to pull the Gaga forum and replace it with an LDR forum, or just add an LDR forum. I think she's going to be around for a very long time.
    I get that, but there's not a lot of... variation in her discography. Compared to Tori, Bjork, PJ, Kate etc. for whom each album has its own sonic identity, concept and/or lyrical themes. Most discussion here is just new album talk; this thread is relatively dormant between album cycles. She doesn't really do a whole lot of promo, either. I'm all for truncating the Gaga forum into a single thread, regardless.
    Last edited by Hannah.; 08-14-2017 at 01:50 AM.