Page 104 of 225 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 3373

Thread: Lana Del Rey

it's really beautiful visually, but i think the video really treads the line of self-parody, particularly with the voiceover. you can almost hear melodramatic teenagers typing it into tumblr quotes as she's reciting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    it's really beautiful visually, but i think the video really treads the line of self-parody, particularly with the voiceover. you can almost hear melodramatic teenagers typing it into tumblr quotes as she's reciting it.
    To me, the video is no different than anything else she's done. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but she's never strayed from her aesthetic from the moment she released the Video Games video. She's also never made it a secret that Lana Del Rey, the character she created from her own life experiences and passions, lives in a world of sultry pin-ups, bad boys, rich parties, femme fatales, first ladies, and Americana. This video takes everything from the era, throws it in a blender, and creates the perfect exclamation point to the whole Born to Die album.

I totally understand the opinion that she's repetitive and overly melodramatic. But I think that's also the reason a lot of people enjoy her.

I like it. She looked phenomenal. And I really love the song.

Is that biker chick her actual sister? There weren't any real clear views of her, but she did kinda look like Lana (Lizzy Grant era). No mention in the credits though.

^Yup! I saw a few places post screen shots that said she is her real sister.

I'm at work, so I'll have to post my thoughts later, but that's her younger sister Chuck. She also photographed the cover for Ride.

So, basicly every review appearing right now is praising the video. Pitchfork, HuffPost, NME, Rolling Stone, Stereogum, Popjustice...The list goes on and on...
    She must be very, very happy now after the shitstorm she got this year.

And what a great video it is

Oh, anyone else noticed the meltdown of some Little Monsters on YT? Lana is sooo copying Gaga! WTF?

Banned
    I'm not a lover or hater of Gaga but if you compare Ride to another example of a long video Marry the Night, you can tell one is made from pretension and other is made from love.
    Last edited by TASpark658; 10-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.

I love Gaga, but I can't really compare Judas with Ride. Judas was just an unfortunate single choice imo.

There is also a 2:30 min long LQ snippet of American floating around. The song sounds promising. I can see it being the 2nd single.

Banned
    Well the biker thing ya that makes sense, cause I doubt she thought of her. :P

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    There was nothing cringeworthy about that video to me. It is epic. I love the voice overs more than anything. I hope people really listen to what she is saying.
    This is my favorite:
    Every night I used to pray I'd find my people. And finally I did on the open road. We had nothing to lose, nothing to gain, nothing we desired anymore, nothing except to make our lives into a work of art. Live Fast. Die Young. Be wild. And have fun. I believe in the country America used to be. I believe in the person I want to become. And my motto is as strong as ever. I believe in the kindness of strangers. And when I'm at war with myself.. i ride. Who are you? Are you in touch with all your darkest fantasies? Have you created a life for yourself where you can experience them? I have. I am fucking crazy. But I am free.
    Last edited by Volta; 10-13-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: use to used (typo)
    Yes, even I can misspell four-letter words. Can you imagine that pewp?

She reminded me of Julia Roberts in the video. It's a great video and song!

Wow this is a stunning video!
    Really happy for her

I just can't get enough of how beautiful she is in this video! She looks so stunning. Her in the short white dress =

I sometimes think that she turns me straight for a second

Quote Originally Posted by samko View Post
    I sometimes think that she turns me straight for a second
    She does for me ! I've always liked girl with that style
    She is really beautiful, and seriously I don't care if her lips are fake or anything

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samko View Post
    So, basicly every review appearing right now is praising the video. Pitchfork, HuffPost, NME, Rolling Stone, Stereogum, Popjustice...The list goes on and on...l
    Do you have a link to the Pitchfork review? I saw the announcement of its release on their newsfeed, but it seemed like they were mocking her - the whole "moving voiceover" part seemed a bit shady. But maybe you saw something else there? I'd love for them to give her some props, considering they're the exact set of reviewers that get the same sort of critique that LDR does - hip poseurs - but it looks like another underhanded moment.

Anyway, even though I think there are parts of the video that look like a Levi's ad - or maybe an American Apparel one - I found it surprisingly moving, and unsurprisingly full of gorgeous cinematography. She does look absolutely stunning; I adore the curls!