Page 127 of 228 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 3418

Thread: Lana Del Rey

I hope we don't have to wait that long.

Great title. I hope she changes up her sound just a little bit, though. I love her songs, but listened to in a clump they start to run together a bit (which to me is a production issue).
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Thoughts on Tropico? I loved it, might post more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thoughts on Tropico? I loved it, might post more tomorrow.
    It's basically the best thing I've ever seen!
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Just watched it.

Poetic, Cinematic, Dreamscapes laced with Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll. Totally amazing accomplishment.

Did she really say "ultra-violence" in that video or "ultraviolet"?
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Maybe she has been reading A Clockwork Orange.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Quote Originally Posted by Canoodlefish View Post
    Maybe she has been reading A Clockwork Orange.
    My thought too. Or maybe she just discovered the movie?

She was nominated for two Grammys last week, Best Pop Vocal Album (Paradise) and Best Song Written for Visual Media (Young and Beautiful). Cedric Gervais also got nominated for the Summertime Sadness remix. The Grammys are a joke, of course, but I still think this is exciting. She deserves success.

I have to admit, I didn't give "Paradise" the proper attention when it first came out last year. It took me a while to get into "Ride" even though it's now one of my favorite songs and I just never cared for the other songs. With Tropico now out, though, I've given it all another listen and it really is great. I still prefer "Born to Die" but "Paradise" has some really high highs. "Body Electric" is kind of brilliant, I think, and I'm obsessed with it now.

So gratifying to see Lana receive critical acclaim and acknowledgement. Sure, the Grammys are definitely not what they used to be, but for someone who was hurt by the American backlash, this must be validating for Lana.

Tropico is stunning. It's a 30 minute Lana masturbation session, but it's visually gorgeous. It also highlights how amazing Bel Air is; I think it's one of her best songs by far.

As for Ultraviolet, I hope she goes for a darker sound. The title suggests she will, and that could mean we'll get the Ceremonials to her Lungs, if you know what I mean.

I wasn't expecting too much from TROPICO, went in with curiosity
    but no expectations ... and she delivered. I thought it was beautiful
    and well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    So gratifying to see Lana receive critical acclaim and acknowledgement. Sure, the Grammys are definitely not what they used to be, but for someone who was hurt by the American backlash, this must be validating for Lana.

Tropico is stunning. It's a 30 minute Lana masturbation session, but it's visually gorgeous. It also highlights how amazing Bel Air is; I think it's one of her best songs by far.

As for Ultraviolet, I hope she goes for a darker sound. The title suggests she will, and that could mean we'll get the Ceremonials to her Lungs, if you know what I mean.
    How and why was she hurt? I'm really curious. I don't know much about her but her music sounds like something I might like. I think id like her stuff more if it were even darker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    How and why was she hurt? I'm really curious. I don't know much about her but her music sounds like something I might like. I think id like her stuff more if it were even darker.
    I can't remember the exact interview, but she talked about how the negative press she got post SNL and the blog attention really hurt her, because America / New York specifically is where she comes from and where she felt at home.

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    There was a lot of hype in 2011 surrounding "Video Games" and "Blue Jeans"--not even really hype, just a lot of strong and deserved buzz about the songs and her visuals/style--but then the record came out in January 2013 and she had some shaky live performances like SNL and the Internet Haterade Dogpile Monster just WENT. AFTER HER. It happened right here in this thread. Read back. There was a strong element to it that is something I call the Authenticity Police, which is one of my most hated Internet phenomena/patterns of behavior. Basically, say the Authenticity Police: she's not real, she's a product, she's a fake, she's not genuine, she's a fake attention whore, her sexualized image is HARMFUL TO POP CULTURE, etc., ad nauseam. People carry on the same way about Lady Gaga and Amanda Palmer. As if any of that has anything to do at all with the music. Kind of funny how the people doing the Authenticity Policing are people who also don't like the music at a base level. It's a weird hipsterism that has bled out into populations and strata who aren't necessarily "hipster" and it drives me insane. I like some of Katy Perry's songs even though I DETEST her as a figure and a "product", but you don't see me carrying on about how she's destroying pop culture on a blog or message board or whatever where people are excited about her new music and having a good time enthusing about it together. It's just bad manners.

ANYWAY, yes, there was a long period where the backlash that was a natural and unfortunate reaction to the 2011 hype was just strong and nasty and constant, to the point where she was having to talk about it in interviews and such.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

^*standing ovation and tears*