Page 2 of 225 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Lana Del Rey

Blue Jeans video:

I really like this one too

LOVE it! Has a little more bite to it but her voice is still smooth and I love the instrumentation. Video is perfect too, she looks gorgeous.

I can't escape this song. It's been in my head all day and I've watched the video at least 5 times.

Is anyone following all of the bullshit in the blogosphere about Lana Del Ray's "authenticity" & the sort of disgusting picking apart of her appearance? I'm finding it very sexist and dispiriting. One music blog seemed to be arguing that because she died her hair, changed her name, and perhaps had lip injections she is now a "fraud" and that everybody will be ashamed for promoting her music. Really, who could care less about a young woman choosing a particular style of representation to match their music? Every indie band on earth crafts their image. The cult of authenticity drives me crazy. If she can sing beautifully & pull off the songs, who gives a shit if she didn't come up with her own name? Anyway, I'm very much enjoying her stuff & find it haunting and fun.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

I agree with the gist of what you said, but when referring to Lana Del Rey, "beautiful" singing is the last thing that comes to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy river View Post
    I agree with the gist of what you said, but when referring to Lana Del Rey, "beautiful" singing is the last thing that comes to my mind.
    Hmm, really? How would you describe it? I absolutely think it's beautiful, just not in a traditional way, I guess?

The attacks on the blogosphere are annoying. Self-righteous hipsters don't dictate quality, that's for damn sure.

i'm obsessed.
    the whole "authenticity" argument is so annoying ... show me any musical artist that hasn't branded themselves in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by tart View Post
    i'm obsessed.
    the whole "authenticity" argument is so annoying ... show me any musical artist that hasn't branded themselves in some way.
    It's exactly (and actually not even as dramatic) as saying there's no way Tori Amos' music is authentic because she started out doing 80s pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Hmm, really? How would you describe it?
    Kind of sleazy, really.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy river View Post
    Kind of sleazy, really.
    Ah, but sleazy and beautiful are not mutually exclusive!

Yeah, I want to break other sad facts to music bloggers: Neko Case is not really a red head, Gillian Welch was born in New York City & not Appalachia, and Amy Winehouse was not born with a beehive hairdo. Shocking. Clearly these are all fakes who are trying to pull something over on us.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

Anyone heard of Lana Del Rey yet?

she has this Nancy Sinatra-esque style and I have been addicted to Blue Jeans for days now.

I can't get over Video Games and Blue Jeans. I need this debut, um, now.

liste Kinda outta luck that song is much better than video games, i dont like it that much