Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Golden Girls Thread

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar

The All-Inclusive Golden Girls Thread

With the recent passing of Rue McClanahan, and the start of this new forum that allows you to embed YouTube links, here we go!

Let's start with the best Blanche monologue ever:

"Somebody's gonna get it!"

I saw this episode the other night, and I couldn't believe how relevant this speech has become, almost 20 years later:

My mom and I quote this episode to each other whenever we see one another:

This clip makes me want to cry every time I see it:

One of the best Sophia/Dorothy exchanges ever:

I sing this at work all of the time:

My favorite GG moment:

What are some of your favorite moments?

-Jacob.

Banned
    From the finale:

Sophia: I'm going to stay here with the girls.

Dorothy: (inquisitively) With the girls?

Sophia: (abrubtly) Blanche! Rose! Whatever they are.
    One of my favorite episodes is where Dorothy has a sort of snooty friend who fancys herself apart of the Miami literary scene. It turns out she's an anti-Semite and Dorothy lays into her good at the end.

And the one I imitate most often is when Rose has irritated the hell out of Dorothy somehow. Dorothy doesn't really react, and instead asks Rose to hand her the newspaper. Dorothy clarifies that she wants the Metro section and when Rose hands it to her Dorothy sops her upside the head with it. You probably have to see it but Bea Arthur's deadpan humor was the best!!

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Lebanese? Lesbian?

Great thread. I love all the moments mentioned above. My favourite GG episodes has to be the one where they perform the Henny Penny play and in general any episodes that involve dancing, singing or the girls dressing up in costumes in one way or the other.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    One of my fav quotes:

Blanche: Dorothy, this is crazy! Since when do you care how you look?
    Dorothy: I think it started when I came down from the bell tower and had my hump fixed!

Put a bird on it. SisterErnestine's Avatar
    My favorite character was Sophia. My mom and I used to watch this show together when I was younger.

SisterE

There's a new channel on YouTube that has every episode from all seven seasons of Golden Girls. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoingGoldenAgain

Awesome!

I think my favorite episode was the one where Blanche's husband comes back from the dead. ("Mrs. George Devereaux") I thought the story was surprisingly touching. (The sub-plot of Dorothy being courted by both Sonny Bono and Lyle Waggoner was hilarious.)

Reviving this thread! I'm curious, did anyone ever watch the short-lived Golden Girls spin-off The Golden Palace? I had taped every episode when it was on Lifetime a couple of years back and found myself re-watching it this weekend.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    Some nice person a few years ago uploaded the entire series on DVD on BTJunkie. I've watched it a few times, but it just doesn't have the umph that the original series had. Plus, I don't like how Rose became more dominant and Blanche's hair went crazy.

I hear ya. The Golden Palace was cute, but I couldn't imagine the show continuing after one season. But oh, the celebrity guest spots!
    If I had to pick a favorite episode, it would be the one where Blanche's brother visits the hotel - the ending left me in tears.

I was just looking at Golden Girls clips the other day and came across the Golden Palace pilot episode. (what an atrocious remake of the theme song!) Still, it wasn't terrible but the magic just wasn't there. The slight tweaks to the characters had a lot to do with it, I think.

I posted this in LOLapalooza but I figured it should be here, too.

You beat me to it, Ryan. Robin as Sofia and Supes doing the Blanche strut = epic win.

[ validated ]

Icon15

I remember occasionally enjoying The Golden Girls growing up, but I was never an avid watcher or big fan of the show.

That's all changed over the past month or so. Lately, if I'm watching tv, it's probably GG.

Love it!
    Last edited by C33; 08-09-2012 at 12:20 AM.