Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: POTTERMORE

Exclamation POTTERMORE

http://www.pottermore.com

Is anyone else trying to get into beta registration? So far all the times have been really early for me in EST I started following @hp_batsignal so maybe I'll catch it some time in the next few days.

What is that? I'm confused.

It's really hard to explain, and I don't think we'll really understand what it will be like until it officially launches in October. But here's what Wiki says:

The website will sell e-book and audiobook versions of the seven Harry Potter novels, as well as provide over 18,000 words of additional content including background details and settings.[1][4] The website launched on 31 July 2011 (the birthday of Rowling and of the character Harry Potter) for the first one million fans to complete their registration on the website from that day, and on 1 October 2011 for everyone else.

Users will be able to participate in interactive reading experiences or "moments" beginning with the first book Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.[12] After choosing a username, the users will move through the chapters and "follow" Harry. Among other things, users will be able to visit Diagon Alley, be sorted into houses, and learn spells.[12] How this is translated onto the website is still unknown.[13] This type of virtual reading experience has generated concern about the potential reaction of established online book retailers such as Amazon.

This was trending on twitter and I totally ignored it. Dayum. I'll try to get registration.
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I am not pleased about early registration time being between 4 - 8 AM EST. No sir.

Yeah, it's like 9am-1pm BST. :/ I wish they'd make at least one of the days a good time for people in other parts of the world ...

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I got my registration and username yesterday! Now I'll have to wait and see if I get one of the beta invites (which I assume I will because registrations are only open for a limited time and they must only be accepting the 1 million registrations now to match the 1 million betas that they want).

An important part to note when you sign up - you are given five options for your username. Because they want it to be child friendly (and therefore no sexual connotations, for example) when you put your details in, they give you a list of options to choose from. They don't necessarily sound Potter-ish, and you can't reload the options to try and get something else. You only have those five to choose from. So don't get your hopes up for an awesome name For example, mine is EyeStone205 and I turned down CrimsonLight-something (can't remember the numbers) and RookLumos-something.

The most exciting part for me is undoubtedly the promise of new material that didn't make it into the books. I mean, a backstory for McGonagall will be so so fabulous to have as canon.

Also, I LOVE that it will essentially include the official Sorting and Wand care of JKR. I think the sorting will be done as a quiz, and it will not be like those obvious ones you find online (like, what is your favourite animal? lion, snake, badger, raven ) You will basically be sorted according to Jo's criteria for each house and it will be a lot more subtle than other sortings. And you will be able to get a wand from Ollivanders, where Jo has come up with some 33,000 different combinations of woods and cores.

I hope you guys can get registered in the next couple of days. I know the time difference is shit for a lot of people, and I'm lucky it has been happening at a time when I am online anyway. Good luck!

I was able to get registered this morning! I don't know when the welcome email will show up, apparently it could be any time between now and September 1 I want to be sooooooorted

My username is GobletOak132. OMFG I could not get that quill to levitate for the longest time, I was filled with shame.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I am registered and disproportionately excited about it! ElmQuill7. Now to obsessively wait for the welcome email, because I have a life and everything.

I keep missing it! I tried to get in at 3 am, but it still had the message of Day 2 registration being closed. I fell back asleep and then forgot to get up at 6 am to retry! Bah!

What I did was I followed @hp_batsignal and had its tweets texted to my phone. So when it tweeted at 6 am that registration was open, my phone woke me up.

It also provides the answer to the riddle as soon as someone figures it out, shhhh

Last edited by Lucarne; 11-11-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gyabou View Post

My username is GobletOak132. OMFG I could not get that quill to levitate for the longest time, I was filled with shame.
    Last edited by Lucarne; 11-11-2016 at 07:11 PM.

I'm not too worried about it. If I don't make it for early registration, I'll wait until October.

Got it! My name is NightShield99. Not too bad. Now to wait for the email.