Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: veggies/vegans

Icon15 veggies/vegans

Any other veggies or vegans here? I've been vegan for somewhere between 10 and 12 years, can't remember exactly.

I'm a former vegetarian who is slowly drifting back toward a meat-free lifestyle. My family's dinner plan is 50/50 meat & meatless. We do eat eggs & dairy but I'm always keen to find some tasty vegan recipes.

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    I am a vegetarian since about 2 years now.And I'm loving it

I went vegetarian in November 2009, but I allow myself to have a meat meal every now and then (once every month or two). It's not that I crave meat, it's that sometimes I find myself in situations where it's impossible to avoid (like Christmas Eve, when my Mom makes a giant pot of Chicken a La King and it just seems kinda anti-celebratory to eat something else).

I've wanted to be a vegetarian for as long as I can remember, I was just convinced it was impossible. I've found that it is surprisingly easy and convenient, even if you have to eat a lot of meals on the go or at restaurants.

I've been a vegetarian for almost 7 years. It was a very easy transition for me - I never had any cravings or doubts about my choice. I do admit that it was difficult dealing with non supportive people (especially in the beginning), but it's all good. I grew up with an older vegetarian sibling, so he was a big influence on me. I originally made the switch because I was on a diet kick (less fat in vegetarian mock meats! haha), but then everything snowballed from there. I don't think there is anything that could ever get me to revert back.

I make a conscious effort to limit my dairy intake, but I am not vegan. I use soy or almond milk whenever possible and try to limit cheese. For me, it's hard to avoid it all the time.. especially in baked goods. I am extremely picky about how my food is prepared and cooking surfaces are a big thing for me. No shared grills, fryers, woks, etc... and I avoid things like gelatin, rennet, etc.

I'm very excited about this thread! I typically don't discuss my vegetarianism with people - I don't like to sound preachy and usually nobody wants to hear what I have to says anyways!

Fuck you, I'm a wizard! longtime companda's Avatar
    I went vegetarian 13 years ago and vegan 11 years ago. I was a big veggie junk food person at first but now I love my veggies!

I've been veggie for 17 years. I was the pickiest meat eater ever as a kid and never liked meat. The textures and veins and grizzle. No thank you. It didn't really dawn on me that I actually had a choice in the matter until I was 19. I am certain I will never be vegan though. No desire to give up cheese or ice cream.

I'm a veggie for about 11 or 12 years now but I eat fish, dairy, eggs, etc. I only do not eat meat strictly speaking. I'm never preachy about it and hate when other veggies are. Can't stand it. There's a woman at work who's also veggie and at lunch we were sort of discussing this and she says, "I just don't like to eat carcasses". I thought that was so stupid.
    anyway, I never missed eating meat but I love to eat. Indian food is probably my favourite right now.

Glad there's a few of us here. I'll have to post some of my yummy vegan recipes. I love fresh lightly steamed vegetables and simple wholesome soups and stews.

My favourite:

Bean stew and dumplings.

Bean stew, really?! I'm shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    Glad there's a few of us here. I'll have to post some of my yummy vegan recipes. I love fresh lightly steamed vegetables and simple wholesome soups and stews.

My favourite:

Bean stew and dumplings.
    YES! Please post some of your recipes! I would love to try some new tried & enjoyed vegan recipes. And that bean stew, beanstew, looks yummy!

Me, my pappy, and his lemonade
    I live with a Vegan (Kippy) so I eat what she prepares and respect her wishes to not have meat in the house but, personally I don't like to label people as one thing or another. I avoid meat whenever possible but I don't pull my hair out if something has essence of sheep's wool or sweat off the back of a cow on the ingredient list. I even cut right back on eating cheese and switched to Sheese which is an acceptable substitute imo but that doesn't mean I won't eat cheese if it's the only option. I can see the health benefits in reducing meat and dairy intake both for myself and the environment.

I'll add a shameless plug for Kip's messy vegetarian cook blog if anyone is interested, she does cook rather well.
    Last edited by Paul; 06-19-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Aye, Sheese is pretty good. I like the strong cheddar variety as it makes a pretty good cheese and tomato sandwich. 'Sweat of the back of cow' made me smile.

I've already "met" @messycook on twitter. Small world. I'm @substandardnerd if anyone wants to read my nonsense.

Paul, I will gladly follow that shameless plug. Thank-you! Some of those food photos are making my tummy rumble.

I'm not sure I can get Sheese here but there must be another decent cheese substitute in Canada. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm a sensible girl GirlForPele's Avatar
    I've been vegetarian for 10 years this July and I don't miss meat one bit. I noticed I get sick a lot less often too.
    When pianos try to be guitars...out of my black and white world