Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: veggies/vegans

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I've been vegetarian for about year. I watched a movie, actually a couple movies.. and just got grossed out and upset about being a meat eater. I also have one other reason I won't eat meat, which I will not post cuz it will make me look like the biggest weirdo (if I don't already).

Here is my biggest problem. The Food Network. I love to watch the FN. It relaxes me. I also love to watch Bob Ross paint. The two things that relax me television-wise. Now that I am hardcore Veggie, I don't eat eggs.. but I eat breads and stuff that have eggs in them undoubtedly. Try not to think about it. I do dairy. I get a lil more grossed out and anxious when the food netword is doing a meat dish. Why isn't there a show for vegetarians on there? I have looked up recipes, but I really relied a lot on the food network for meal ideas when I was eating meat.. I wish I could do the same now.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

so.. I need vegetarian recipes for main dishes that are tasty, filling and don't contain soy products.. any good recommendations?

Check out Foodgawker, Becka.. under the vegan section. I'm sure you can find a bunch. Everything that I have made from them is good. [Link] The Moroccan Stew that I make is super filling and soy-free. It's my favorite thing to make. [Recipe]

Last night, I made Peanut Soba Noodle Bowls. I was quite impressed - very simple, easy to prepare, and the sauce was great! [Recipe]

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Becka View Post
    so.. I need vegetarian recipes for main dishes that are tasty, filling and don't contain soy products.. any good recommendations?
    Chickpea burgers fit the bill. I make this a lot. Just skip the yogurt sauce (I always do -- it doesn't taste very good, anyway). I stuff sauteed peppers and onions inside the pita along with the burger and serve it with a salad or simple soup.

thanks guys Checking those out. We avoid soy because of Kev's thyroid and I'm starting to suspect I may have trouble with mine as well (calling tomorrow for a dr appointment for bloodwork) but so many recipes call for some sort of soy product for protein.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Another one of the things I also make a lot (and often make a batch to freeze so I have something on hand) is seitan sausage. Just as much protein as chicken, and pretty fast to put together, other than the time to steam. But if you freeze the extra links, you'll have a quick protein on hand and they taste fine reheated. If you're not used to seitan, you might have trouble getting used to the texture, but I love it. I'm not sure if the soy sauce is an issue for you, though, or if you just meant tofu/miso/tempeh.

(I figured out the nutritional info a while back, and I don't have my notes on hand, but I'm pretty sure it's around 250 cals and 28 g protein per serving, if you care.)

^ Good suggestion! I love seitan... especially the type that you can buy at Whole Foods near the refrigerated faux meat. I'm sad I can't find it in the Toronto Whole Foods. I haven't been able to find any good seitan here now that I think of it.

I recommend Quorn, it's a soy free meat substitute that tastes a lot like chicken. I like the texture as well.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I didn't realize Quorn was soy-free! That's exciting to know.

I've been 90% veg for about 12 years. I do eat meat every once in a while, but most of my diet is plant based. It's easy for me not to consume dairy because it upsets my stomach anyway. I'm kind of a natural vegetarian/vegan I think because I've never been a fan of meat since I was little. I get that from my Mom as she has always been the same way. I think it's crazy that some people eat meat every single day with every single meal. There's nothing better than a bowl of beans and veggies for me!

Oh, you guys MUST make this recipe. It is out of this world delish and probably the best vegan dish I've ever made:

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15978.0

I took that recipe and added onion, carrot and green pepper, plus I doubled the sauce. It's a true vegan winner, kids. Yum.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

I used to eat Quorn back around in 2002, but I stopped after reading a few articles about people getting sick from it. There's been a little too much controversy with their products for me to ever want to touch the stuff again, regardless of whether numerous claims are true. Quorn is made by Marlow Foods, which is owned by pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca. Quorn is a mycoprotein extracted from a fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which is grown in large vats at their facilities. (In case anyone is wondering, it's also not vegan.)

Thanks for the recipe, Bryan! I shall be sure to try that one next time. My favorite recipe in that vein so far is General Tao Tofu. It's quite similar... and delicious! [link]

Here's a recipe I love:

Rajma (Kidney Beans Curry)

Mine came out a bit of a different colour but was super yummy.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Wow! I am definitely trying both of those recipes.

And marci, thanks for the info about Quorn. Yikes!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

I am vegetarian, completely meat free with no slip-ups for years now, and am currently about 95% vegan. I eat lots of chocolate, mostly vegan chocolate but some that does contain milk, and I have some high-protein dairy products a couple of times a month (usually cottage cheese).

Anyway, I was hoping to post here and see if anyone knows some awesome vegan restaurants in either Atlanta or Pensacola. I'm going on a vacation to both places in a couple of weeks, and I love to try unique restaurants everywhere I go. I currently go to grad school in Knoxville, Tennessee, which has only ONE vegan restaurant for 200,000 people, so I do most of my eating at home... when I travel, I love the opportunity to finally eat out!

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    Here's a recipe I love:

Rajma (Kidney Beans Curry)

Mine came out a bit of a different colour but was super yummy.

Oh, that looks so simple and so yummy. I'm going to make it this week. *bookmarks*

I've been cooking a lot of yummy dishes these days! Thought I'd share my favorites - Mexican.

Portabella Mushroom Fajitas
    - so easy and good!

Vegetable Enchiladas - a little more work, but worth it.