Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Blade Runner

Currently a bit obsessed with Blade Runner. Saw it again yesterday for the first time in a long while (the last time I saw it all the way through was on a dodgy VHS) and loved it. The 2007 documentary was on too (I think an edited version though?) and that was fascinating too, to learn about how some of the look was achieved with miniatures and paintings.

I'm thinking about getting the DVD but I'm a bit confused about editions - there's a two-disc "Final Cut" but then there's also a five-disc "Ultimate Collectors' Edition" of The Final Cut. Am I likely to miss those three extra discs?

I think there are some other Blade Runner fans here so feel free to use this thread for discussion - from Deckard: replicant or not? to Rachael's shoulder pads and the Pris gymnast violence scene, all is welcome

I have the five disc tin version and it's well worth getting as much for the varying cut as for the hours and hours of documentaries and features on it. I enjoy them almost as much as the movie. the book 'Future Noir - the Making of Blade Runner' by Paul M. Sammon is also well worth looking into as well.

Blade Runner reminiscence: I saw it on release in 1982 with my dad, who snuck me into the 15 certificate film when I was only 12, and looked 10. It was one of the first really 'adult' films as opposed to kiddie or family films I'd seen at the cinema and it blew me away in every conceivable sense. I can still remember sitting there and watching in awe as the great gas plumes roared across the screen in that brilliant opening sequence. Later I got hold of a taped-off-the-telly version to pore over at home, but I didn't get to see it again on the big screen until the release of the director's cut in '92 and again was awed by it, especially by the small additions (the unicorn sequence that ties in with Gaff's origami at the end) that prove that Deckard is definitely a replicant. I love the end shot of the DC so much, with the ominous lift doors clanging shut. Far preferable to the pasted-on 'happy' ending and far more in keeping with the overall tone of the piece.

Oh, and I recently found this polaroid from a costuming test session on Sean Young's website:

I've always loved the 40s influence on the clothing in Blade Runner. It's part of the combination of past, present and futuristic detail that make it such a convincing vision of the near future, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post

I've always loved the 40s influence on the clothing in Blade Runner. It's part of the combination of past, present and futuristic detail that make it such a convincing vision of the near future, I think.
    I love the costumes in Blade Runner. I've always thought that it was stylized in this particular way to evoke Film Noir.

We've got it on Bluray and the visuals are simply stunning!!! It really does not look dated or old at all, which is a testiment to the design.
    post28!

I really must read the novel. I love Philip K Dick!!

Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    I have the five disc tin version and it's well worth getting as much for the varying cut as for the hours and hours of documentaries and features on it. I enjoy them almost as much as the movie. the book 'Future Noir - the Making of Blade Runner' by Paul M. Sammon is also well worth looking into as well.
    Thanks for the info, it certainly looks tempting. And I enjoyed reading your reminiscence.

I was struck when watching how truly amazing it looked. Then I remembered this was made in the early '80s and I found it even more impressive - I agree with wout, really not dated. I don't have Bluray but I imagine it's superb.

One of my favourite parts is the bit with the sun at the Tyrell office which looks gorgeous:

And also Zhora's death scene, and the part where Tyrell has his eyes gouged out (uncomfortable but wonderfully done.)

HI GUYS! I've had this movie on VHS, DVD and now Blu-Ray. It is the best movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Queen Up in Pumps View Post
    I love the costumes in Blade Runner. I've always thought that it was stylized in this particular way to evoke Film Noir.
    I took a class in my final undergraduate year called Future Fear, about representations of the future in cinema, and one of our assessments was a timed examination where we had to do a reading of a film extract. The extract we were given was the scene where they kiss against the shutters (and probably the scene prior to it? I forget now). I spent so much time in that exam room discussing Sean Young's costuming and characterisation and how it fit into the grander scheme of things not only in sci-fi but film noir.

Helen - re: the blend of past, present and future, I agree, it's so unbelievably effective. What's so great about the world of Blade Runner is that noirish sexuality that it gives to a sci-fi future. The femme fatales and the smokey rooms mixed with the street food and the mish-mash of cultures, the big glowing screens and the flying cars mixed with the classical architecture. The world it depicts is so obviously nightmarish and dystopian but it has such an allure to it, and there's nothing more brilliant in science fiction than a horrid future that still has something of a hold.

DC ending is undoubtedly my favourite. It was the first I saw and it's so chilling, so perfectly executed that it distils an entire movie into a single shot and a single line that stays with you for-fucking-ever.

Also, quite simply:

THE BADDEST BITCH, etc.

Possible stupid question alert: which one is the DC ending? Forgive my confusion!

DC = no narration, and it removes the 'happy' tacked-on ending from the original theatrical run which shows the two of them driving through countryside or something? I forget. This one ends instead with the lift doors closing as Deckard picks up an origami unicorn and remembers Edward James Olmos' line: "it's too bad she won't live. But then again who does?" And then that awesome music and the credits. Fab!

Oh yes! I think the first one I saw had the voiceover, the one I saw the other day most definitely did not. According to the documentary, in the driving-off bit they used some unused footage from The Shining for the landscape shots.

I just want to watch it all again now!

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    I heard a few months ago that they were making a prequel and/or sequel of some sort. There doesn't seem to be any news since, though.

I've only seen the DC ending and it was fantastic. I can't picture it ending with the original, from the descriptions I've read.

I just watched it again. I can't get enough!

I cannot articulate my love for this movie.

I noticed loads of little things in it that passed me by before; it's so rich that it almost demands that you watch it over and over. And yep, the ending with the closing lift doors and then that music is an excellent way to finish.

Here's the original trailer

And the Final Cut trailer

Blade Runner becoming a franchise?

Make a prequel or a sequel if you must, but there is no need to remake the original.