Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I don't know what to think

Has anyone ever read the novel? Anyone interested in a Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep discussion?

Haven't read it but I'd like to.

In other news - success! Managed to snap up a good condition edition of the five-disc set for £15.

I saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. It was different to the original - slower pace perhaps - but thoughtful, beautiful, and a lot of shots paid homage to the original. It retains the feel while being a different film; I was concerned about this even being in production but it's good.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I loved it. I thought it was just as good as the original. Some really amazing cinematography!

All the stuff with Wallace, and the statues omg So beautiful.

And the rainy Japanese-style LA. I want to see it again.

Sadly, I fell asleep multiple times watching it. I'm sure it was good, but it didn't captivate me. I might rewatch it in the future though.

While i loved the original,i hated this new one. So boring,i considered walking out more than once. And i can't believe all those people praising Ryan Gosling his achting-i already disliked him after La La Land and Only God Forgives and his effort here did nothing to change my opinion. Somebody please tell him there is more to acting than staring

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    He's made a good living just staring and smirking.
    I actually liked his work in "The Place Behind the Pines."

I haven't seen him in BELIEVE. I don't think I'm in the headspace for a Neo-Nazi film.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

I only liked him in Lars and the real girl. Great movie! But, he's not a very good actor IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    All the stuff with Wallace, and the statues omg So beautiful.

And the rainy Japanese-style LA. I want to see it again.
    I really liked this part too.

Some of the casual misogyny made me very uncomfortable though.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    Some of the casual misogyny made me very uncomfortable though.
    I saw it on Friday and I am inclined to agree. Maybe it was just this hellish week of sexism, but the film felt very "have your cake and eat it too" about the objectification of women, and it would have been nice to have had better women characters. But oh well. It just made me grind my teeth a bit.

That said, there was plenty to love about this film. Performances especially. I thought Gosling was outstanding - he was given a very internal part. It is difficult to play a robot that has emotions and memories, but not really, because they understand intellectually their emotions and memories are manufactured to an extent. I thought he handled it really well and some of the scenes (like when he finds the wooden horse) were just downright shattering. I thought the actress who played Joi was also wonderful, and despite my qualms about the objectification, dear LORD what a beautiful woman. You can't take your eyes off her. Harrison Ford also actually acted! When was the last time that happened! Usually he does his gruff Harrison Ford thing but here he mined some depths.

Visually the film was a feast. I just didn't really learn anything new from it. I've actually never seen the original all the way through, but my husband felt the same (he loves the original) - we thought it was a Good Movie but not Great.

I just left the cinema without the need to talk about it. I just looked at my boyfriend and went, "that was good." Usually from the cinema to the apartment we dissect whatever it is we just watched, good and bad, but with this we just shrugged and went home.

Ryan is also really good in Half Nelson, just my opinion.

So I watched it and my take away is that the "Black Out" is what really throws the curve ball and will keep people talking. Because, from my pov, Deckard is questioning his memories. It's through his memories that we try to unlock bigger revelations about humanity and what happened aka: the miracle. And since this major event happened .. no one can absolutely for sure trust their memories. A lot of blind faith going on in this film. Very WestWorld-like.

What we know before the blackout is that Deckard wasn't sure his memories were real. What we know about K is that he is starting to think his memories could be more real than he ever imagined.
    Why I think Gosling was perfect for this role is his infamous Poker Face. So much of what made Blade Runner a cult classic was that there was a lot to take-away from the silent moments.. and you watch Gosling or K's face for tells. It was so well done.

Blade Runner and it's sequel are films that not everyone is going to love or even want to consume. I don't believe Blade Runner was a blockbuster ... certainly didn't spawn the franchise that Alien did for Ridley Scott. But Blade Runner was without peer for its time and possibly even for today's time.
    The message is an easy one: our memories are what give us souls.

I think this is my favorite film of 2017 so far. Logan was damned impressive. But the visuals in this are works of art layered on works of art.

Yes, there was a ton of objectification and it wasn't needed. Although the birth scene with Wallace, if they did that with a man they probably would have had to battle to keep the R-rating. But all the big moves, all the orders, commands, almost anything that needed to be done or controlled was done by the women in this film. And that was pretty bad ass to have so many boss ladies (like Madame) kicking ass. The broken glass scene between she and Luv was so violent and so fn cool .. I can't even. And it was between two women... neither wincing from pain. Just really boss lady type stuff.
    Even Joi, you have to say, was pretty pivotal in shaping the decision making throughout.

All I can hope for is that the DVD/BluRey will have a ton of explanation and I can't wait to watch it many times to see if I can peace more of film together. Like why Joi was able to do some things/ feel certain things.. just tiny little moments like that.

Anyhow. You can tell i'm really pleased and fanboyed out.
    Last edited by Volta; 10-17-2017 at 05:54 AM.