Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Emotional Based Eating, Binging, or Grazing

Oh honey, I feel you so much. There are days that I just cannot control myself, too. It's like a seesaw of self-control, one day I'm TERRIBLE and then I feel like shit and try to bounce back the other direction and then I catch myself thinking, "Oh I've been 'good' lately I can have -xyz-" then it spirals out of control.

I hope you can find someone/something to help JP. We love you and are here if you need to talk/vent!
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    For inpatient, he was talking about ED treatment, not depression/anxiety. I feel like that part is being managed well with Effexor. It's the ED part that is totally out of control. My weight and my feelings about it are legit ruining my life.
    Ah okay, gotcha. I know people who have been in inpatient for anorexia/bulimia and had good experiences. I am sure that would be the case for binge eating too. Sometimes just having the time and space to get to the root of the problem without daily distractions can be the ticket.

I'm wishing you all well. Eating disorders, disordered eating, and body image issues I don't know my life without them. I have been trying to follow folks like Sarah Vance on social media: http://www.sarahvance.com

I am 42 years old. I've been ashamed of my body since I developed a memory. Will it ever stop?

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    So I've always had a problem with eating my problems. Recently I started eating actual meals and cut out snacking almost competely. Like actual full size, well balanced meals with protein, carbs and veg. And nothing in between these meals. The funny thing is is that these meals are more than I would ever typically eat in one meal time, but since I've upped that and cut out the snacking and grazing in between what used to be smaller meals, I've lost weight. It's craziness, I say!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

^Something similar happened to me! I recently went from vegetarian to vegan. Meals require more care. I am planning meals and snacks instead of just eating because I have nothing better to do or am feeling too many feelings!

I feel much better! I am enjoying eating and discovering new foods. I am thinking about eating as a way to nurture my body. I am thinking about eating as a continuation of myself, my connection to the world, and my most essential beliefs.

I don't think a vegan diet is essential to feel good. I do think it's the meal planning and healthiness of my meals that is causing me to feel good!

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    So I posted in this thread exactly three months ago and I managed to gain another 15 pounds since then. Fast forward to June 10th when I decided enough was enough. Been self-medicating with food for the past five years and as a result I needed to lose 120 pounds to get back to looking and feeling like my old self. I've lost 28 pounds so far with 92 to go - I figure it will take me a year to drop all the weight but I am patient and determined.

I will pop into this thread every few months with a progress report and to see how you guys are doing. Much love to all of you who are struggling. It sucks, it really does.

28 pounds is amazing. Keep going! Based on your goals that's 1/4 of the way there. It definitely takes a really long time to lose...why does the gain happen so quickly??? It's not fair!

I can't complain much, save for the fact that I haven't lost any weight in 5 months or so. I am only 5 or 6 pounds off from my "ideal" weight, but the only person who would notice that is me. I need to be less of a "weekend warrior" - I'm always really good during the week but these summer weekends are always a bit of a fail. Also been struggling with a bout of depression - its relatively minor - but certainly makes it harder to put down the delicious cheese. Self medicating with food is a bitch, because unlike alcohol or drugs, you HAVE to eat to stay alive.

I lost another 10 pounds so now it's 38 down 82 to go so I'm about a third of the way there. I had one binge after drinking two martinis and I felt TERRIBLE afterwards both physically and mentally - like I was really depressed and my stomach hurt so bad I barely ate anything the next two days. Late next month I have a big party to go to and my goal is to be 12 pounds lighter. I have no idea what to wear but that's another story ....

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Late next month I have a big party to go to
    I ate like a pig the night before the party and then the evening of. Saw my therapist today and he told me he went off his diet this past weekend big time so we kind of commiserated about the whole binging thing. I have now lost 48 pounds since June 10th. I was looking at dropping 120 pounds in total but adjusted it to 115 because that is a more reasonable expectation - the final goal weight will be easier to maintain. Another 10 pounds and I will be half way there! I have a dinner party to go to in the middle of the month where the booze will be flowing and the food plentiful so I may go off my diet a bit but I hope not to veer too much away.