Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotional Based Eating, Binging, or Grazing

Banned

Emotional Based Eating, Binging, or Grazing

This thread is to discuss the issue of emotional eating, or other complusive eating issues.

I like that you're using NUHN here, now I can pronounce it as "nun" in my head.

You know what sucks? How food-pushing seems to be part of the training at certain establishments. I know supermarket deals are always up to this sort of thing and it's terrible, but I found it funny yesterday that when I bought a cookie in Subway - a chain who present themselves as very health-conscious - I was told that for £1 instead of 50p, I could have three cookies instead of one! When I said no thanks, I was asked if I was sure! It's a good deal! Go on! "Yes, but I don't think I need three cookies." Fuck's sake. I don't go to Subway for the sake of my health, but what bizarrely pushy 'supersize' service given the way they try to present themselves otherwise.

How is everyone getting on? I hope you're all okay.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Custard View Post

You know what sucks? How food-pushing seems to be part of the training at certain establishments. I know supermarket deals are always up to this sort of thing and it's terrible, but I found it funny yesterday that when I bought a cookie in Subway - a chain who present themselves as very health-conscious - I was told that for £1 instead of 50p, I could have three cookies instead of one! When I said no thanks, I was asked if I was sure! It's a good deal! Go on! "Yes, but I don't think I need three cookies." Fuck's sake. I don't go to Subway for the sake of my health, but what bizarrely pushy 'supersize' service given the way they try to present themselves otherwise.

There's a Subway drivethrough (DRIVETHROUGH!!!) 10 seconds away from our house. OH loves the stuff. He falls for the 3 for £1 cookie bribe every single time. I do like that you can now get any 6" sub made into a salad now.

Aside from that. My eating habits are now gravitating towards the healthy side as opposed to my usual starve, binge, starve, binge which comes so naturally to me it's untrue. Trying to break out of my downward spiral.

Good to hear, Abi. I think so long as you're staying enthusiastic about healthy food, it's a lot easier and more fun to stick to, and eventually you're not sticking to anything, you're just eating your favourite (now healthy) food!

re: Subway salads - do beware that their nutritional info doesn't cover dressings, you need to add that on separately. And I think the wraps are actually higher calorie than most of the breads, so they're not really as light an option as they're sometimes touted to be. I just stick to wholewheat. But they gave me cheese and herbs yesterday and I was in NO MOOD TO COMPLAIN.

Still healthier than most fast food joints, though. And I do love me an oatmeal raisin cookie.

Ah yes, dressings. I don't have those on it and, of course, you still have to be aware of which sub filling you are emptying onto your lettuce leaves. When I used to eat the subs I made much more of a fuss over getting all the salad in. If you have a vision of me standing there yelling at the guy to take some of the chicken breast out so he can get more cucumber in then you would be pretty much spot on.

my biggest temptation is soda. I don't buy it at all, instead, I drink water at home. But when I go out to eat somewhere, it's the first thing I want to order. Now that I'm on summer break, and eating at home more, it's been real easy to be soda-free; however, I don't know how long that will last because I have ZERO willpower.

Haha, I just go "I WOULD LIKE THIS ON THIS BREAD WITH EVERYTHING. NO SAUCE. PLEASE THANK YOU."

Mario, I haven't eaten out in a long time, but I always gravitate towards Coke or Dr Pepper, too. I don't think it's as much of an issue for me because I only go out to eat once in a blue moon, but yeah, you feel boring and like you're not taking advantage of being out when you order water.

Mario, do you avoid diet sodas, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Mario, do you avoid diet sodas, too?
    yeah, I've never been into diet... anything. I 'think' I can taste the difference; i'd rather do it, or do without it. I'm hardcore like that
    Last edited by Banjee; 06-17-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Same! There's a whopping taste difference. Diet sodas taste really cloying too me, and they just feel really airy and horrible. Not worth the time, I'd rather just have water. To me it's like having diet cookies or a diet Monte Cristo sandwich - why bother? If something is designed to be a treat, it should be a treat, not a kid-gloved alternative that you can justify into a daily habit. But that's just me, obvs.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    The amount I drink, I gotta have diet. Bourbon and water are just not right.

Oh, as a mixer, I don't mind diet. The alcoholic stuff has actual flavour and substance and fixes the problems, I think.

But I don't drink much anymore, either. SO BORING.

Portion sizes in the US are completely ridiculous. Whenever I go out to dinner, I feel like a mountain of food has been put in front of me. It's hard NOT to pig out when there's that much food. Also, who the fuck needs to eat 8 pieces of bread before dinner? Bread baskets - also ridiculous. I like the restaurants where they give you one piece at a time and you start to feel ashamed asking for more after piece two.

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    I'm a big diet soda fan (which is weird, because I hated it for years). I stick with Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper for the most part.

My main problem is sweets. And even worse is when I start wanting ice cream! I'm trying to stick with Skinny Cow ice cream but it's difficult.

Banned
    I got literally addicted to diet sodas. I would drink like 2 2-liter bottles every day. At my supermarket they had a generic variety - that was no calorie, and no caffiene. So I just guzzled that shit. I've heard some nutritonist types say that diet sodas have a tendency to trigger unhealthy eating - because you associate soda with other unhealthy foods. So I pretty much cut out diet soda. Plus i'm a bit paranoid about the chemicals in them. I don't know if it's entirely true that they are loaded with nasty Splenda-derived chemicals but I don't want to chance it. Anyway, I switched to flavored sparkling water, which is really working good for me. Plain water is too boring but with the fizz and the splash of flavor I can work with it. This was just what worked best for me though. I think diet soda is a TON better than drinking regular soda - regular soda is the devil's elixr. That mess will f you up faster than anything. You might as well pour sugar down your gullet.